The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dowd=Megma=Vey

kingofsurrey

38 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Dowd isn't that bad.  He just isn't that good.  I'd take him over the centers you mentioned any day.  At least he plays with some passion and physicality.

he's doing pretty well in a checking role. He had a bit of scoring in college so there's a chance he could chip in a little over the course of a year. 

Its funny how often CDC gets over reactions to marginal players. 

With our center situation in crisis due to injuries this is what happens.

When we are healthy we are a solid middle of the pack team- that's reality

Dowd is trying to play above his pay grade just like the rest of our "center's"

Sedin (2nd- 3rd line center) - playing 1st line 

Gagner- (3rd line winger) - playing 2nd line center

Dowd- at best 4th line center playing 2nd-3rd line shutdown role

Granlund - middle 6 winger playing middle 6 center

Gaunce- 4th line winger playing 4 line center

No one is playing in their best position to succeed.

If Sutter and Horvat are back and he's still playing 15+ minutes a night, then feel free to start complaining. This isn't Megna/Vey all over again at all. 

It is classic CDC to rip on the player for playing poorly without considering that it is the team's lack of depth+injuries that is resulting in him having to punch above his weight class.

The same thing happened with Sbisa. People got off on ripping into him when he was asked to play a top 2 role at times last year. 

Nic Dowd shouldn't be the target of fans' frustration.

I have had no real issue with Dowd. Sure he has an off game here and there but at least he looks engaged and shows that he cares with his effort. He is a serviceable 4th liner which is more than J. Subban was providing us on the big club.

I guess people on CDC need their whipping boy.

18 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I don't cringe or get angry at my tv when dowd is on the ice so I disagree

I really was not a Dowd fan at first because of all those darn penalties he kept taking. Now that he's cooled down on them he's actually growing on me. Dare I say...I like him? 

15 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Dowd is a useful 4th line centre. His 50% faceoff percentage appears to be second on the team for regular players and he shows up to compete every game.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dowd on a line with Sutter, that could actually be a nice fit for a shut down pair. Granny Sutter and Dowd might be able to match up with a lot of good lines. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Dowd on a line with Sutter, that could actually be a nice fit for a shut down pair. Granny Sutter and Dowd might be able to match up with a lot of good lines. 

Granlund shouldn't play with those two.  He's got more offence to his game.  Put Gaunce with them.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's doing pretty well in a checking role. He had a bit of scoring in college so there's a chance he could chip in a little over the course of a year. 

Its funny how often CDC gets over reactions to marginal players. 

Exactly.  He is performing the role that he was acquired for.  Nobody expects him to be a star in this league.  With Vey I could understand the issues since he was hoped to actually be a point producer, but Dowd is a checking 4th line player, and does ok at that role.  In addition, while he hasn't produced almost at all this season, last year he actually managed 22 points in 70 games.  If he could replicate that again, that's actually damn good for a 4th line player.

Every team needs players like these, guys that can fill in. The problem comes up when they become an improvement or staple of the lineup.

They are hard working players that play to keep their job, if the coach says jump, they say "how high and when can I come down".

For the most part they are cusp players. Their "role" is/should be, not to be scored on and to eat up the clock. 

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Every team needs players like these, guys that can fill in. The problem comes up when they become an improvement or staple of the lineup.

They are hard working players that play to keep their job, if the coach says jump, they say "how high and when can I come down".

For the most part they are cusp players. Their "role" is/should be, not to be scored on and to eat up the clock. 

Yah  i agree but our club has  9 forwards  ( 3 lines ) that fit that definition.....

Archived