The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dowd=Megma=Vey

kingofsurrey

Dowd brings a lot more then Vey or Megna did.  

Dowd finishes his checks and is responsible defensively.  He can also fight.  

End of story.

Not much thought put into this op wadr k.o.s.

Parroting something that was said in the GDT.....

Dowd, Megna, and Vey are all quite different players - acquired for different reasons, for different prices.

Megna was a summer UFA signing - cost nothing - Utica depth -  that was in the range of 17th on the depth chart and only played because the team was absolutely decimated and lacking depth.

Vey was a young scorer acquired for a 2nd that was to be a skilled center option.

Dowd is a much heavier presence than either of them - brought in to play harder minutes and a different role essentially.  I think making them comparables is a good, dramatic attempt, but essentially a fail.

Dowd is playing instead of Megna - acquired, arguably to represent an upgrade.  If you want Megna back, keep complaining about the Dowd acquisition.

Gaunce Sutter Dowd

could be one hell of a shutdown line / hard as hell to play against.  

For me Dowd is here to fill Sutter's role until Sutter is healthy, and then potentially Dorsett's role - as a good defensive, hitting, forechecking winger who softens up the opposition blueline while attempting to hem in top lines that can't handle their forecheck.

part of the effectiveness of Sutter and Dorsett was their speed and counterpunch, as well as their ability to get in, forecheck, cycle, and maintain some possession.  Top lines don't tend to be the best defensive forwards - when your defensive forwards can maintain ozone possession, whether they score or not, they are doing a good job.

Recently, even in the absence of Sutter, Horvavt, Dorsett - the depth forwards have been doing just that - hard minutes, high dzone starts, but very good possession numbers nevertheless.  Of them, I think Virtanen could naturally rise to the top 6, while Dowd likely remains a bottom six shutdown forward.

These three guys though - Gaunce Sutter Dowd  could make a good, relatively heavy, mobile shutdown line - imo if Dowd proves capable of that, and he's been very good thus far, then this could be a good low cost acquisition, as Dorsett was.  Dowd doesn't drop the gloves, but he's a good 2nd center on a line, who can win draws, so it adds a strength in that Sutter can be more aggressive in the faceoff circle and you still have Dowd to step in if he's waived in key situations.   Shades of Malhotra Lapierre.

I like the Dowd acquisition - and not just as a temporary stop gap.  He has the ability to compete for a roster spot and fill a need when this team is healthy.

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is Nic Dowd  a  shiny new version of  Jason Megma who was the new  shiny version of Linden Vey.....

Great garage sale  finds  ( super discounted )  that looked great once they first  came home but didn't hold up  very well  with  heavy usage.....

Good teams are built through centre ice....... just sayin......

Apparently McDavid wasn't available.

This is what a rebuild looks like.

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

Exactly.  He is performing the role that he was acquired for.  Nobody expects him to be a star in this league.  With Vey I could understand the issues since he was hoped to actually be a point producer, but Dowd is a checking 4th line player, and does ok at that role.  In addition, while he hasn't produced almost at all this season, last year he actually managed 22 points in 70 games.  If he could replicate that again, that's actually damn good for a 4th line player.

uuvyv0hqcvcvhwapueei.jpg

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Gaunce Sutter Dowd

could be one hell of a shutdown line / hard as hell to play against.  

For me Dowd is here to fill Sutter's role until Sutter is healthy, and then potentially Dorsett's role - as a good defensive, hitting, forechecking winger who softens up the opposition blueline while attempting to hem in top lines that can't handle their forecheck.

part of the effectiveness of Sutter and Dorsett was their speed and counterpunch, as well as their ability to get in, forecheck, cycle, and maintain some possession.  Top lines don't tend to be the best defensive forwards - when your defensive forwards can maintain ozone possession, whether they score or not, they are doing a good job.

Recently, even in the absence of Sutter, Horvavt, Dorsett - the depth forwards have been doing just that - hard minutes, high dzone starts, but very good possession numbers nevertheless.  Of them, I think Virtanen could naturally rise to the top 6, while Dowd likely remains a bottom six shutdown forward.

These three guys though - Gaunce Sutter Dowd  could make a good, relatively heavy, mobile shutdown line - imo if Dowd proves capable of that, and he's been very good thus far, then this could be a good low cost acquisition, as Dorsett was.  Dowd doesn't drop the gloves, but he's a good 2nd center on a line, who can win draws, so it adds a strength in that Sutter can be more aggressive in the faceoff circle and you still have Dowd to step in if he's waived in key situations.   Shades of Malhotra Lapierre.

I like the Dowd acquisition - and not just as a temporary stop gap.  He has the ability to compete for a roster spot and fill a need when this team is healthy.

I agree that is a good skating d responsible 4th line.

But i would like to see a player on the 4th that can drop the gloves once in a while to really change momentum as needed....

I am also thinking canucks need a few goals from the 4th line.    Right now the team is being carried by Boeser  with support from Hank and Danny..

Canucks are going to need some other forwards to start contributing goals...

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Not much thought put into this op wadr k.o.s.

Parroting something that was said in the GDT.....

Dowd, Megna, and Vey are all quite different players - acquired for different reasons, for different prices.

Megna was a summer UFA signing - cost nothing - Utica depth -  that was in the range of 17th on the depth chart and only played because the team was absolutely decimated and lacking depth.

Vey was a young scorer acquired for a 2nd that was to be a skilled center option.

Dowd is a much heavier presence than either of them - brought in to play harder minutes and a different role essentially.  I think making them comparables is a good, dramatic attempt, but essentially a fail.

Dowd is playing instead of Megna - acquired, arguably to represent an upgrade.  If you want Megna back, keep complaining about the Dowd acquisition.

Not comparing them as to playing style..  attributes  / cost of acquisition.....

Comparing how our club continually has failed in the centres we have acquired......   

Even Sutter has not really done what he was brought in to do......  2 goals this year in 23 games...   really ? 

Gaunce has 2 goals in 100 games now.. really ?   We need more than that from a former first round Centre pick.....

Chaput  4 goals in 70 lifetime canuck games......  

We need more depth  / skill in the C position... is my point. 

See the point you're trying to make but 

No = No = No

Just because you can't see the depth at C now doesn't mean it won't be here. Remember all the "Benning's not replacing the Sedins" comments a few years back? Very similar. 

People couldn't see it at the time but look at what we do have now ... Boeser, Pettersson, Guadette, this year's draft pick, Dahlen, Gadjovich, possibly Kane as a UFA signing, and more.

If we want to win now in the present, sure, yeah, we don't have depth. That's the recipe for pain and disappointment. We won't have depth for a couplee more years. 

Imo, there's no sense being bogged down by the now when the future is bright on the horizon.

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not comparing them as to playing style..  attributes  / cost of acquisition.....

Comparing how our club continually has failed in the centres we have acquired......   

Even Sutter has not really done what he was brought in to do......  2 goals this year in 23 games...   really ? 

Gaunce has 2 goals in 100 games now.. really ?   We need more than that from a former first round Centre pick.....

no, we just need the centers we have to be in the lineup.

otherwise you have Gagner and Henrik as top 6 centers = no surprise they're not winning with 40+ minutes of C out of their lineup.

complaining about the 7th or 8th center in the organization is pointless. of course they're not going to be seemless substitutes.  no team has that kind of depth.

btw - the team has Pettersson and Gaudette developing - if your point is more depth/skill at C, pay attention to the real solutions, not Megna.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

they don't grow on trees and other GM's don't give them away for a J. Subban.

11 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

they don't grow on trees and other GM's don't give them away for a J. Subban.

I get it.

More a reflection on the poor drafting our club has done the last 10 years....

That our centre depth is so weak right now.

Here is a game for us.

Who were the  last decent NHL centres  our club drafted and not including Bo Horvat.

Nick Dowd is a much better player overall than both Megna or Vey.

He does exactly what he is supposed to do as a 4th liner, he hits, he is responsible defensively, and he knows how to work the boards.

I like his play... obviously he will not win the scoring championship but he is working hard at doing what the coach wants.

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

That our centre depth is so weak right now.

Indeed.  However, as a rebuild year I'm not concerned.  Give it but two years.

We have Pettersson who I guarantee will be an elite 1st line player. Horvat as 2nd who is elite in that position.  Sutter is third and perfect for that role. (Remember when we were using him as a 2nd line center?  No he wasn't good enough for that but more than fine in a 3rd line role and utility use). Dowd as 4th.  Gaudette as the up and comer (hopefully) and Gaunce for depth (or nostalgia of how we all thought he was going to be better).

Center is actually set as far as I'm concerned.  So I'm not.

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

Indeed.  However, as a rebuild year I'm not concerned.  Give it but two years.

We have Pettersson who I guarantee will be an elite 1st line player. Horvat as 2nd who is elite in that position.  Sutter is third and perfect for that role. (Remember when we were using him as a 2nd line center?  No he wasn't good enough for that but more than fine in a 3rd line role and utility use). Dowd as 4th.  Gaudette as the up and comer (hopefully) and Gaunce for depth (or nostalgia of how we all thought he was going to be better).

Center is actually set as far as I'm concerned.  So I'm not.

More and more teams have 3 scoring lines - that only gives 2.  Sutter and Dowd should be on the same line.  

4 hours ago, mll said:

More and more teams have 3 scoring lines - that only gives 2.  Sutter and Dowd should be on the same line.  

Ok fine then.  Move Gaudette to the 3rd maybe - depending on how or if he works out.  We also have Granlund - who's having a crappy year but I still believe has the potential to be a 35-40 point guy on a regular basis with the right wingers.  And given the glut of mid-level forward talent we have coming down the pipeline, supplying high-level 3rd line wingers shouldn't be an issue at all.  And if all else fails, we manage to get a 3rd line center elsewhere either via draft or trade.  If that's going to be our biggest issue, it's a pretty easy one to fix.  I'd sooner focus on our defense and how to fix that rather than speculate whether or not we have the best 3rd line center possible, and in a pinch Sutter absolutely CAN fill the role... albeit with 10 less points a season than would be ideal.

Archived