The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] To panic, or not to panic... that is the question.

Freeridebc

Can we all really be shocked as a fan base that this is where our team currently sits?

Our current situation makes sense to me. 

We are missing 2 shut down defensive centermen who log big minutes and take big draws for us...

This in turn is putting more stress on a young, fragile d core. Which in turn is providing 25 percent more shots on net to our two young goalies....

So far. I'm not panicking. 

There are a ton of bright spots. I'm curious how we are going to address the D issue, however, and our goal tending. 

Everyone seems to bouce back and forth depening on game results. 

I'm more focused on, we haven't seen Dahlen yet... Boeser is amazing. We all know what Bo  offers. Petterson and Gadjovich look very promising. 

I'm equally excited to see what our brass does this draft. Specifically I hope we target defensemen unless something more enticing falls in our laps.

Thoughts? Flames? 

Lemme know. 

We're about where I expected us to be before the year started tbh, but injuries have hurt our ability to be competitive and we were there for a while when we were healthy.

That being said, I don't see any reason to panic. We've got prospects in other leagues who are doing fantastic, Boeser is having a great year and Bo looked even better this season before he went down. Even the twins have been better than I thought they might be, as has Vanek. Things are ugly right now but given how Benning has been drafting we'll likely be better for it down the line.

panic, no panic, it plays out as a #5 or 6 pick either way. 

There's a lot to like about what Green is doing, even with the losses. We have a decimated C group and no one to really step up, the D's being run ragged and our goalies have the yips. Just have to wait for the 2nd coming of Bo. 

Not panicking about how we do this year because we did very well early and the result should satisfy me pre-injury and knowing that future is in a good hand.  We only need a good goaltender and better D.  Yes, losing streak sucks because our D and goaltender is not doing their job.   I know that the management will be looking for a goaltender this coming summer or have Demko competing for a starting job or even a back-up to start the season and eventually overtakes the starting job.   Our greatest need is a better D and we will get that through drafting and maybe a free agent.  Forward prospects are not the issues here.  Tongiht's game against the Capitals showed us .that we have a long way to go with missing centers in Horvat and Sutter.  The only bright spot in D is Stecher and I wish that he would work on the shots this summer since he can join the rush and be an effective D for us.  

I'm not panicking at all.  We're not a playoff team, weren't going to be anyways, so we might as well finish as low as possible and get a great draft pick.  That's what's happening, and Boeser is looking like a young Brett Hull.  All signs are that he and Horvat will be fantastic players in their primes a few years from now when we should rightfully expect the team to be winning games.  Anyone who expected the team to be so good this year that the current results are cause for panic was never really in touch with reality.

18 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Can we all really be shocked as a fan base that this is where our team currently sits?

We are missing 2 shut down defensive centermen who log big minutes and take big draws for us...

This in turn is putting more stress on a young, fragile d core. Which in turn is providing 25 percent more shots on net to our two young goalies....

There are a ton of bright spots. I'm curious how we are going to address the D issue, however, and our goal tending. 

I'm more focused on, we haven't seen Dahlen yet... Boeser is amazing. We all know what Bo  offers. Petterson and Gadjovich look very promising. 

I'm equally excited to see what our brass does this draft. Specifically I hope we target defensemen unless something more enticing falls in our laps.

Thoughts? Flames? 

Lemme know. 

panic time... our team depth skill is just as bad as the oilers... so ya panic time.

i am kind of pissed.  we should be deep enough with our off season adds to do better then 2 wins in 15 games.

we need some trades. im tired of being disappointed.  ive stayed mostly positive in the willie era but this is just stupid.   why do I get my hopes up anymore.  its time to move out bad assets.

Why panic?

This is want a rebuild looks like. .Its ugly, disheartning and extremely frustrating... but most teams go through the same, when their star players get old.

If the team doesn't get any better in two years time, then we can start to ask questions/panic. 

1 hour ago, Freeridebc said:

Thoughts? Flames? 

Lemme know. 

Good post but I'd also say this is giving us not only a look at how players like Boeser, Stech continue to improve but also how some players still need development and patience.

Example, Goldy and Virtanen have had a gift chance to really play and show they want it. Sadly, neither has really shown a compete level to say they can be difference makers, when both have the talent to make an impact (differently). To me its a mix of compete, fear of making an error, and perhaps trying too hard to focus on what they've been coached to do vs playing the game  -ie thinking too much to make sure they stay in the lineup. I think they have more to give, and its a bit disheartening to see them not trying to make an impact nightly.

If you think about how hard kids play in the world juniors, you know those two have it in them, they haven't realized that's how hard you have to work in the NHL....I watch the players we 'need' to take the next step more than those we know will or are (ie Boeser, Stech, etc)....I am sure the Nucks are concerned a bit about that too. Those two had a great oppty the last few weeks to really start taking the next step, and haven't.

While some can argue  "virt isn't get pp or pk time, same with goldy' etc....the point is you don't notice virt the way we did as a rookie in his first few games, speed, hitting, forecheck, that stuff he can do regardless of his ice time, Goldy can dig, skate hard, want the puck more as well. Those 2 are worrying me to be honest

What is even the point in panicking? We have at least a couple of years before we have a good team (and yes, I don't think we have a good team yet even when healthy, although the surprise at the beginning of the season was fun :)). Right now is when our players can get injured as it really will have a lot less of an impact now than when we're actually a playoff contender.

Obviously, I would love for us to surprise everyone in the end and earn a playoff spot this year, but the beauty of this year is there's no pressure. Plain and simple. :)

This is what a rebuild looks like.  I would have been shocked if the team wasn't struggling this season.  We have Boeser exceeding expectations, Virtanen developing, and tons of guys ready to make the jump to the Canucks or Utica next season who are excelling in their respective leagues.   Green even has guys with a history of questionable work ethic (Vanek) buying into his philosophy.    I do worry about toughness but help is on the way with Gadjovich, McEwan, Archibald, and Gaudette all possibilities for next season.

Very much on board with all of Green, Benning, and Linden.  There is finally light at the end of the tunnel.

No panic, just let it flooowwww... See what I did there.. The good so far this season, was seeing what this young core can do when healthy, whats been bad is seeing its lack of depth.  Without Horvat and Sutter, this team is bad.  Hank and Danny can't be the #1 top line for us anymore, its just not feasible.  They are 3rd line guys, and the quicker this management staff figures that out the better.  I'm encouraged by what I was seeing early on, with the Dosett/Sutter/Granny shut down line, that tells me this coach has an eye for talent.  I'm encouraged by how Horvat can make his line look better, with the addition of Boeser, that effect is amplified.  I'm encouraged by the skill of Boeser, and I see a future 40 goal scorer there.  I'm also encouraged by the up and coming Pettersson, who comes as advertised as a playmaker, but also shows proficiency as a sniper (unlike our current captain).

Where this team is a hot mess is in Goal, and on D.. The goalie situation will work itself out, the proof is in the AHL, the D however is a massive concern, and Benning needs to sort it out pronto, because my gut tells me that Juolevi is a 60/40 shot of being the defenceman that we all envisioned, and besides him, there isn't much else to bolster the blue  line short of a magical draft lottery which we all know isn't coming.  Everyone is chanting trade hutton, trade Guddy, but my question is who will be left?  Hutton actually had a decent night tonight, he was a man with a mission, and he surprised a lot of us tonight.  Gudbranson is due for a game like that and I know he has it in him.  What I would love is a big trade involving a Young Dman, like a Chabot, Trouba, or the like, someone that we can depend on for big minutes, and consistent points.  Until the old nucleus departs, I don't see this happening.  

I love the Swedes on this team as much as anyone else, but it feels like Hank, Danny and Edler are staying past their welcome, and on some days its hard to watch.  I'm big fans of all 3, but this team needs to move on and grow.  Like the rest of you, I'm going to sit by my TV, with a beer and hand, and watch and cheer, despite the losses, because I love this team

Archived