The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] To panic, or not to panic... that is the question.

Freeridebc

Nobody outside our fan base expected anything from this team, and largely thanks to injuries we are not disappointing them.

Pretty expected considering the rebuild process when we also have to deal with this quantity of key injuries. I expected us to do better than most expected and we certainly were at a point, but now that we're virtually out of the playoff picture I'm on board for a full tank for Dahlin.

Rebuild is chugging along fine with prospects leading in almost every league (including Boeser in this one) and on our way to another high draft pick despite showing good signs earlier this year of kids driving the bus (and in playoff position) before injuries.

Zero need to panic IMO.

After the good start, I thought this team could make the playoffs. Once Horvat and Sutter went down with injury, that was the season IMO. I'm not upset at all that the Canucks will probably get another high draft pick. They need them.

Moving forward:

- we need Juolevi and Demko to turn out amazing (our D and goaltending is pretty bad)

- we need to draft a #1-2 D this year (again, our D)

In addition to Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen, the Canucks also have some really good forward prospects in the pipe (Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind), so I'm not overly concerned about future scoring or offense. It's keeping the puck out of our net that is an issue.

11 hours ago, Type R said:

No panic, just let it flooowwww... See what I did there.. The good so far this season, was seeing what this young core can do when healthy, whats been bad is seeing its lack of depth.  Without Horvat and Sutter, this team is bad.  Hank and Danny can't be the #1 top line for us anymore, its just not feasible.  They are 3rd line guys, and the quicker this management staff figures that out the better.  I'm encouraged by what I was seeing early on, with the Dosett/Sutter/Granny shut down line, that tells me this coach has an eye for talent.  I'm encouraged by how Horvat can make his line look better, with the addition of Boeser, that effect is amplified.  I'm encouraged by the skill of Boeser, and I see a future 40 goal scorer there.  I'm also encouraged by the up and coming Pettersson, who comes as advertised as a playmaker, but also shows proficiency as a sniper (unlike our current captain).

Where this team is a hot mess is in Goal, and on D.. The goalie situation will work itself out, the proof is in the AHL, the D however is a massive concern, and Benning needs to sort it out pronto, because my gut tells me that Juolevi is a 60/40 shot of being the defenceman that we all envisioned, and besides him, there isn't much else to bolster the blue  line short of a magical draft lottery which we all know isn't coming.  Everyone is chanting trade hutton, trade Guddy, but my question is who will be left?  Hutton actually had a decent night tonight, he was a man with a mission, and he surprised a lot of us tonight.  Gudbranson is due for a game like that and I know he has it in him.  What I would love is a big trade involving a Young Dman, like a Chabot, Trouba, or the like, someone that we can depend on for big minutes, and consistent points.  Until the old nucleus departs, I don't see this happening.  

I love the Swedes on this team as much as anyone else, but it feels like Hank, Danny and Edler are staying past their welcome, and on some days its hard to watch.  I'm big fans of all 3, but this team needs to move on and grow.  Like the rest of you, I'm going to sit by my TV, with a beer and hand, and watch and cheer, despite the losses, because I love this team

i have been a big supporter of keeping danny and hank around. but given how this losing skid has gone. the 2nd round picks they'd both would likely garner would be a huge boost to our D depth if we can find some quality guys in the 2nd round.  we need depth for the future.  i think its time we consider moving them out. i just no longer have the confidence in this team . all my hope is lost.

I just hope brock doesn’t get bored and realize he could easily move to a more talented team if he wanted.

Having a superstar has its pros, it also has some cons... this is the main reason why we can’t tank.

Having a competitive team means we’ll attract FA’s... Brocks play lately is indicative that he’s trying to pass and use his teammates, but every game, a line gets crossed at some point where I think he realizes his team mates are essentially all useless and he has to try do things himself. 

Id love his play to attract somebody like tavares... honestly the best case scenario, otherwise we have a few more years of this and I hope his patience doesn’t wear out.

3 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

I just hope brock doesn’t get bored and realize he could easily move to a more talented team if he wanted.

Having a superstar has its pros, it also has some cons... this is the main reason why we can’t tank.

Having a competitive team means we’ll attract FA’s... Brocks play lately is indicative that he’s trying to pass and use his teammates, but every game, a line gets crossed at some point where I think he realizes his team mates are essentially all useless and he has to try do things himself. 

Id love his play to attract somebody like tavares... honestly the best case scenario, otherwise we have a few more years of this and I hope his patience doesn’t wear out.

I can't see Boeser pulling a Kesler. Brock has incredible character and it looks like he's quite popular with his team mates. He's also great friends with Stecher, and he's got good chemistry with guys like Vanek, Gagner and Horvat. I just don't see him getting bored here. As far as him wanting to win a Cup, he can do that here in a few years :)

Just because Brock decides to shoot doesn't mean his team mates are useless. Sometimes he may not have a open lane to pass, or the shot is the better option. I'm sure he's having a blast on the Canucks, might even win the Calder. Bored? Nah. Brock owns this town.

This got me thinking more about UFAs and the desire to play in Vancouver. Whoever Brock plays with, they get points. Look at Gagner and Vanek. He seems to make everyone he plays with better. Boeser doesn't NEED Horvat or the Sedins to produce. I can imagine there will be more and more interest in signing with VAN as time goes on, to play on Boeser's line.

Panic is only for unexpected or unrealized expectations.

Most posters here know that the team still needs at least 3 "core" players on the team. Goalie, Dman and first line forward. They may have that in Demko and Elias, but until they try it here management should, should plan on making moves to get improved draft position and impact forwards.

The Dman might be Groot, not OJ though, he is mediocre in Finland and that level of hockey is less than the AHL, #3 or 4 dman would still be good though. Dmen do take much longer to "mature" so the end result still could be a few years out there.

Seeing as it has taken 4 years to get two for sure then another 5 to get to be a serious playoff contender. There could be another super generational player for drafting and in that case the Nucks will make the playoffs for sure, a 30 point increase for that year.:lol:

58 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can't see Boeser pulling a Kesler. Brock has incredible character and it looks like he's quite popular with his team mates. He's also great friends with Stecher, and he's got good chemistry with guys like Vanek, Gagner and Horvat. I just don't see him getting bored here. As far as him wanting to win a Cup, he can do that here in a few years :)

Just because Brock decides to shoot doesn't mean his team mates are useless. Sometimes he may not have a open lane to pass, or the shot is the better option. I'm sure he's having a blast on the Canucks, might even win the Calder. Bored? Nah. Brock owns this town.

Brocks a perfect forward in the sense that he always makes the play that he thinks is likely to score. If that means passing, he will, if that means shooting, he will, if he had another high caliber teammate, this could be a whole nother season.

I don’t doubt it, but losing gets old that’s all I mean and you can tell brock hates to lose. 

12 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Line brawl in todays NHL? Good luck. You get penalties for hitting now. 

Ha ha.  So true.  Wasn't too long ago that every single player more or less fought when Philly went to Ottawa ( ok for us older guy five or six years doesn't seem that long), starting with Brashear and ending with Spezza...or more like the end of the third period.

Long ago in a galaxy far far away, they used to clear the benches and fans got to enjoy a real all out donny-brook.  If you were lucky enough to be at the game you know no matter how many you tube videos you watch it just doesn't do it justice.  You don't even know what to watch, and it goes on and on, much like some of my posts. Ha ha .

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

i have been a big supporter of keeping danny and hank around. but given how this losing skid has gone. the 2nd round picks they'd both would likely garner would be a huge boost to our D depth if we can find some quality guys in the 2nd round.  we need depth for the future.  i think its time we consider moving them out. i just no longer have the confidence in this team . all my hope is lost.

They aren't willing to be traded.  They'll retire as Canucks as they've repeatedly stated.

2 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

Maybe in a few years if no improvement were seen, but for now he's living a dream. 

Rookie getting maximum minutes, and scoring for fun. 

If this isn't enough to keep him happy, while this team is rebuilding, he would have character issue a la My Cody....

Already now he knows, he will be one of the leading lights on this team in the future, if not THE leading light... 

Canucks seems to be building something good, and who wouldn't want to be part of that....

2 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

I suspect boeser will get locked in somewhere in the neighbourhood of $6m x 6 years no later than this coming august. 

Just now, tas said:

I suspect boeser will get locked in somewhere in the neighbourhood of $6m x 6 years no later than this coming august. 

What did Draisatl and Eichel just sign for?  I think Boeser is going to get a lot more than 6 mil.  I think he's going to get closer to 10.

I don't think Panic is the answer but more lack of depth that this team actually has, and certain vets getting playing time over youth still when it's supposed to be a rebuild to see what these kids are capable of doing. I would use the word Mess instead of Panic, as it's a mess when Horvat went down with injury, it's a mess with 2 backup goalies, and it's a mess with horrible D.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What did Draisatl and Eichel just sign for?  I think Boeser is going to get a lot more than 6 mil.  I think he's going to get closer to 10.

I feel like they compromise on price by buying fewer years of ufa eligibility. 

edit: that said, the market has changed so drastically over the last handful of years that I wouldn't be surprised or outraged if he did end up with a huge deal. 

Archived