The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] To panic, or not to panic... that is the question.

Freeridebc

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

panic, no panic, it plays out as a #5 or 6 pick either way. 

There's a lot to like about what Green is doing, even with the losses. We have a decimated C group and no one to really step up, the D's being run ragged and our goalies have the yips. Just have to wait for the 2nd coming of Bo. 

There we go folks, our 2017/18 season wrapped up in 2 sentences. Bang on lol. No panic here. Mostly just excitement for the prospects we will start seeing soon. Time will tell. And Green has a very entertaining system to watch.

This is the 2nd easiest month of the season. Only 11 games, the next two get much harder, 14 games in 28 days and 15 games in 31 days.

The team gets almost a full week off soon and 4 days off at the end of the month, then it gets hard. This month is almost like a vacation by comparison.

16 hours ago, BoeserSnipe said:

Good post but I'd also say this is giving us not only a look at how players like Boeser, Stech continue to improve but also how some players still need development and patience.

Example, Goldy and Virtanen have had a gift chance to really play and show they want it. Sadly, neither has really shown a compete level to say they can be difference makers, when both have the talent to make an impact (differently). To me its a mix of compete, fear of making an error, and perhaps trying too hard to focus on what they've been coached to do vs playing the game  -ie thinking too much to make sure they stay in the lineup. I think they have more to give, and its a bit disheartening to see them not trying to make an impact nightly.

If you think about how hard kids play in the world juniors, you know those two have it in them, they haven't realized that's how hard you have to work in the NHL....I watch the players we 'need' to take the next step more than those we know will or are (ie Boeser, Stech, etc)....I am sure the Nucks are concerned a bit about that too. Those two had a great oppty the last few weeks to really start taking the next step, and haven't.

While some can argue  "virt isn't get pp or pk time, same with goldy' etc....the point is you don't notice virt the way we did as a rookie in his first few games, speed, hitting, forecheck, that stuff he can do regardless of his ice time, Goldy can dig, skate hard, want the puck more as well. Those 2 are worrying me to be honest

Unfortunately some kids get it and some kids don't. I still hold out hope but consistency is a big issue for Virt and Goldy, or lack of concentration? I can't decide. I like the Kassian comparison to Virtanen, all the gifts in the world and can't mentally put it all together...yet. I think Kassian has really turned himself around and is now a solid 3rd line RW, not the best out there, but respectable for sure. I still hope for more from both kids, I hope they prove everyone wrong, including myself.

17 hours ago, Rush17 said:

i am kind of pissed.  we should be deep enough with our off season adds to do better then 2 wins in 15 games.

we need some trades. im tired of being disappointed.  ive stayed mostly positive in the willie era but this is just stupid.   why do I get my hopes up anymore.  its time to move out bad assets.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2017_games.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2018_games.html

Last year was supposed to be rock bottom especially if we go back to ALL the Wille D threads. Yes WD was the MAIN reason for our record according to CDC. 

Apparently no one could do any worse than WD & it's all in those threads. (people seem to forget there own words).

Yet looking at the Canucks record so far WD's team was ahead of Travis Greens team this year at the same point.

As of Jan. 10, 2017 with WD coaching we were 20- 19- 4

As of Jan. 10, 2018 with TG coaching we are    16- 19- 6

WD actually had as many injuries with less depth & no Brock Star. He still managed to keep us at (roughly) .500 hockey all the way up to March 9,2017 at 28- 30- 9. 

With that being said I'm a little disappointed for sure as we were supposed to be better this year than last year. (but still not close to a playoff team)

I'm not panicking what so ever as I understood where we were at last year under WD & I understand where we are this year under TG.

Just like a small amount of fans were saying in those threads all last year that coaching isn't our problem. 

Time, patience & more Prospects is the only way out of this.

Again, bright side is they're coming.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What did Draisatl and Eichel just sign for?  I think Boeser is going to get a lot more than 6 mil.  I think he's going to get closer to 10.

Absolutely.  If Boeser is a PPG player the rest of the year, and again next year, it will take 10 million x 6-8 to sign him.  Six million gives you an ok first liner or a very good second liner these days, or a very good defenseman.   GMs just can't help themselves, and pay a premium for sure things or stars, and the rest of the players enjoy the second class citizens it's creating.  Journeyman sign for lesser deals because GMs will just rotate their prospect pool until something cheap that can do more or less the same thing comes up.  It could be the biggest issue the next CBA will have to deal with as a large portion of the NHLPA will likely take issue on this.

BTW Boeser will be worth every penny if he keeps it up, his peak won't come for sometime and we'd have him locked in for his best years.

14 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Why would there be any soft of panic with a rebuilding team? Close thread, needless discussion. 

It's actually been very positive talk for the most part. Most threads when we're doing this bad deep dive into an abyss of "you're wrong and i'm right" conversations within the first few pages lol. It is redundant, but it gets my mind off the losing for a bit...lol.

3 hours ago, IbanezRG said:

I just hope brock doesn’t get bored and realize he could easily move to a more talented team if he wanted.

Having a superstar has its pros, it also has some cons... this is the main reason why we can’t tank.

Having a competitive team means we’ll attract FA’s... Brocks play lately is indicative that he’s trying to pass and use his teammates, but every game, a line gets crossed at some point where I think he realizes his team mates are essentially all useless and he has to try do things himself. 

Id love his play to attract somebody like tavares... honestly the best case scenario, otherwise we have a few more years of this and I hope his patience doesn’t wear out.

With Minnesota so close it will always be on my mind that he will one day return home. But at least we can protect his rights until he's 28 I think. So will get some really good years out of him!

19 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Green has a very entertaining system to watch.

BrockStar is our only entertainment these days. Ok Vanek has been good.

After that I'm hard pressed to name anyone else entertaining?

Gagne not

Dowd not

Eriksson NOT

Gaunce 

Chaput

Granlund 

MDZaster 

Hutton

Gubranson

Edler

Sedins I'm ok with for this year

Virtanen ? like his potential flashes of his potential but yet to see him put it together for 60 min.

Markstrom / Nilsson  have been less than stellar...

2 wins in last 15 games? not very entertaining to me. 

1 minute ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

BrockStar is our only entertainment these days. Ok Vanek has been good.

After that I'm hard pressed to name anyone else entertaining?

Gagne not

Dowd not

Eriksson NOT

Gaunce 

Chaput

Granlund 

MDZaster 

Hutton

Gubranson

Edler

Sedins I'm ok with for this year

Virtanen ? like his potential flashes of his potential but yet to see him put it together for 60 min.

Markstrom / Nilsson  have been less than stellar...

2 wins in last 15 games? not very entertaining to me. 

I see your points, but minus a few blow outs i've thought we've given it good effort. We're a shell of a team with the injuries we've had. But yet we still stay in games. Am I impressed with everyone, no. My real frustration is our goaltending. Marky has made some stellar saves, but his soft goals are really putting our team down. A team plays a lot differently when they trust their goalie. It's visable to me when after he lets in a softie the whole team deflates. Poor guy, I don't mean to pin it all on him because it's obviously not all his fault. We need more scoring to compensate which isn't happening either... okay now i'm depressed...I still find the games decent to watch, but yes the losing sucks lol.

Can't imagine anyone has any reason to panic. Maybe if we were winning games some team tankers would be. We are losing, kids are playing fairly well. Goalies that are getting lit aren't even in many of our future hypothetical lineups. Lol. Just gotta ride out these Ls and enjoy the spectacle that is Brock Boeser. And pray that just once the hockey gods don't bend us over come the draft lottery again. Although I do like the depth of this draft so drafting 5th really isn't all that bad.

17 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I see your points, but minus a few blow outs i've thought we've given it good effort. We're a shell of a team with the injuries we've had. But yet we still stay in games. Am I impressed with everyone, no. My real frustration is our goaltending. Marky has made some stellar saves, but his soft goals are really putting our team down. A team plays a lot differently when they trust their goalie. It's visable to me when after he lets in a softie the whole team deflates. Poor guy, I don't mean to pin it all on him because it's obviously not all his fault. We need more scoring to compensate which isn't happening either... okay now i'm depressed...I still find the games decent to watch, but yes the losing sucks lol.

How true in the goaltending and how most games are close right to the end....which is when the soft one Markstrom or co let in early turns a 3-2 game into a 5-2 with a couple empty netters which looks like a blow out on the ticker.    Not every game, but a lot of them the team is in for a win or OT for a large portion of the game.  I hope it isn't too deflating and the take away from it all is looked upon with a positive slant to keep the guys competing.  So far so good, no panic...yet.  Panic will come later if Boeser gets a ridiculous offer sheet and or he goes Heatly/Lindros on us.

40 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

With Minnesota so close it will always be on my mind that he will one day return home. But at least we can protect his rights until he's 28 I think. So will get some really good years out of him!

You may be right but.... I don’t see any reason to believe this will be the case. Everything about Brock ozes class. He has been honest and up front with everything so far. Of course you have to pay him, what they are worth and not try to lowball him, but this is all way out in the future. 

One thing is for sure if he keeps scoring for fun, he will command top dollars. 

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How true in the goaltending and how most games are close right to the end....which is when the soft one Markstrom or co let in early turns a 3-2 game into a 5-2 with a couple empty netters which looks like a blow out on the ticker.    Not every game, but a lot of them the team is in for a win or OT for a large portion of the game.  I hope it isn't too deflating and the take away from it all is looked upon with a positive slant to keep the guys competing.  So far so good, no panic...yet.  Panic will come later if Boeser gets a ridiculous offer sheet and or he goes Heatly/Lindros on us.

Exactly, our 5-2 losses aren't as bad as they look. A lot of those goals are empty netters as you said...no one ever goes FULL Heatly/Lindros...it's career suicide...lol.

It would be even easier to relax and look to the future if the organization showed us a clear direction.  LeBrun said that it seems that the Canucks have not yet decided what to do with Guddy. Their not sure what to do with their GM either.

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Can't imagine anyone has any reason to panic. Maybe if we were winning games some team tankers would be. We are losing, kids are playing fairly well. Goalies that are getting lit aren't even in many of our future hypothetical lineups. Lol. Just gotta ride out these Ls and enjoy the spectacle that is Brock Boeser. And pray that just once the hockey gods don't bend us over come the draft lottery again. Although I do like the depth of this draft so drafting 5th really isn't all that bad.

Won't work, I've been praying for 40 years that we could get first overall every time we sucked - the hockey gods have disowned us, disavowed us, and treat us like the one they cast to hell!

18 minutes ago, spook007 said:

You may be right but.... I don’t see any reason to believe this will be the case. Everything about Brock ozes class. He has been honest and up front with everything so far. Of course you have to pay him, what they are worth and not try to lowball him, but this is all way out in the future. 

One thing is for sure if he keeps scoring for fun, he will command top dollars. 

I agree, he is a classy kid. But your home town is your home town. I don't get the feeling he'd ever force our hands. But i'm sure he'd love to go home at some point in his career. I look at Taves in NYI as an example of Brock, he loves the team and wants to commit to winning with them, but will he stay past this season? Or test the UFA waters for his first time and sign somewhere of his choosing? For Brock that is so far down the road i'm not worried about it.

16 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

What is there to panic about? If I was a fan of a team that had seven top-10 picks in the last eight years, four of them being first overall picks, and is currently sitting near the bottom of the standings in the entire league, then yes, I would be panicking right now.

This, exactly this

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I agree, he is a classy kid. But your home town is your home town. I don't get the feeling he'd ever force our hands. But i'm sure he'd love to go home at some point in his career. I look at Taves in NYI as an example of Brock, he loves the team and wants to commit to winning with them, but will he stay past this season? Or test the UFA waters for his first time and sign somewhere of his choosing? For Brock that is so far down the road i'm not worried about it.

Canucks will lock him up for max years, till he's 28 - at that point he'll likely decide where his best odds are to win a cup if we have not already. After 8 years in a new city, its home. And who knows maybe we will be a dynasty then and Minnesota will suck. Tavares is a different issue since NYI have been perennially crap, this year there seems to be some long term help for him and promise, so he may very well re-sign. And as much as I love Brock, let's wait to see if he can produce like Tavares consistently for 8 years first

17 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That is definitely a fair comment, but again Tavares hasn’t left yet ::D  

I know, what you’re thinking though and if I was Tavares I’d also consider my options. Probably would like a proper shot at the SC. Hence I don’t see us in the running should he become available. Unfortunately....

the one BC boy I wanted bad to wanna come home, was Shea Weber, but he didn’t. I think with him in the line up, we would have had a SC or two. The money spent on Garrison and whats his name (Ballard), who should have had the press box named after him, could have covered his salary. That boat sailed long ago, but It was the missing piece in my opinion. 

Archived