Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ben Hutton Thought Experiment


Recommended Posts

This is not a proposal with a specific team in mind, just a question for CDC. The recent talks of moving Ben Hutton have made me question what his value could potentially be. In my mind, you would be looking at a 2nd and a prospect of some kind. The question now becomes, if a team with the requisite cap space was willing to take a problem off our hands, would you trade:

 

Ben Hutton + Loui Eriksson for a 2nd?

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vast overvaluation. Hutton has 6 points in 38 games with 0 goals. He on his own is worth at 3rd at best currently. It honestly makes more sense to be patient with him until he eventually gets his game back, which will probably happen at some point. If you're gonna trade him, trade him once he's back to performing well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think our team has a habit of getting hurt. Hutton doesn't cost much so thats a good thing. Lets keep him around for depth defence. I would trade Gudbranson while we can still get something for him. Huttons value to me is a third round pick or decent depth prospect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Vast overvaluation. Hutton has 6 points in 38 games with 0 goals. He on his own is worth at 3rd at best currently. It honestly makes more sense to be patient with him until he eventually gets his game back, which will probably happen at some point. If you're gonna trade him, trade him once he's back to performing well.

Agreed. Moving Hutton doesn't make sense when his value is currently at a nadir. Also it would cost far too much to move the Eriksson contract and there is no need to right now when the team isn't in pressing need of cap space. Hutton won't be nearly enough. 

 

To answer the OP's question, I would probably do that trade but I don't think something like that will ever be offered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our D needs a complete overhaul and Hutton needs to go.  I am sorry, he's a nice kid with an infectious smile but he can't skate and cannot find the net with the puck.  I'd take a 3rd rounder and run but at this point I am not even sure there will be any takers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Our D needs a complete overhaul and Hutton needs to go.  I am sorry, he's a nice kid with an infectious smile but he can't skate and cannot find the net with the puck.  I'd take a 3rd rounder and run but at this point I am not even sure there will be any takers.

Agreed.

 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Vast overvaluation. Hutton has 6 points in 38 games with 0 goals. He on his own is worth at 3rd at best currently. It honestly makes more sense to be patient with him until he eventually gets his game back, which will probably happen at some point. If you're gonna trade him, trade him once he's back to performing well.

And if he doesn't?  Then his value will be nil and probably won't even picked up on waivers.  If we trade him now maybe someone still think they can turn his game around and will risk decent pick/prospect on him. 

 

Hutton will turn 25 soon and I haven't seen any progression in his game, I'd rather give his icetime to other projects like Holm, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi (after Finnish season),

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Agreed.

 

And if he doesn't?  Then his value will be nil and probably won't even picked up on waivers.  If we trade him now maybe someone still think they can turn his game around and will risk decent pick/prospect on him. 

..and if he doesn't then you might end up losing the crappy pic you'd get for him now.  I agree.  I feel there is a chance he will find his game again, and the only reason I would move him out right now is to make room for far better defensemen.  (Which will have to happen in the next year or two)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

Hutton will turn 25 soon and I haven't seen any progression in his game, I'd rather give his icetime to other projects like Holm, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi (after Finnish season),

Not an excuse, guys, but I would like to point out that this is the first season Hutton played for Green who is supposed to be a "young player whisperer". Can't believe I'm saying this, but since Hutton has had some flashes of brilliance and with his value being so low, I'd like to see what Green can do this season and in the off-season to improve Hutton's game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Our D needs a complete overhaul and Hutton needs to go.  I am sorry, he's a nice kid with an infectious smile but he can't skate and cannot find the net with the puck.  I'd take a 3rd rounder and run but at this point I am not even sure there will be any takers.

Absolutely,

 

A soft defenseman who doesn't score needs to be replaced either by a scoring defenseman, a physical defenseman or a stay at home shut down defenseman. There is no room on this team for the talent package that Hutton brings.

 

This is a start and needs to be followed by sending several others on the back end packing as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Our D needs a complete overhaul and Hutton needs to go.  I am sorry, he's a nice kid with an infectious smile but he can't skate and cannot find the net with the puck.  I'd take a 3rd rounder and run but at this point I am not even sure there will be any takers.

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Not an excuse, guys, but I would like to point out that this is the first season Hutton played for Green who is supposed to be a "young player whisperer". Can't believe I'm saying this, but since Hutton has had some flashes of brilliance and with his value being so low, I'd like to see what Green can do this season and in the off-season to improve Hutton's game.

our defense has deteriorated badly this year

it is young and supposed to be developing

there is something wrong with how they are being whispered to

the team is on track to let in 280 goals this year

3.5 per game

there are only a couple worse teams in the league

this is a talent / injury / system / coaching issue

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of me says if you get a decent offer - take it and run.  Could say the same for about 10 or 12 other Canucks on the roster right now sadly. 

 

The other part of me says Hutton is only 24yo, has had less than half a season of Green/Bomber tutelage under his belt, is on a decent contract, demonstrated offensive abilities at all levels he's played at (including the NHL), and has shown vastly improved motivation after being benched.  Give him time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Not an excuse, guys, but I would like to point out that this is the first season Hutton played for Green who is supposed to be a "young player whisperer". Can't believe I'm saying this, but since Hutton has had some flashes of brilliance and with his value being so low, I'd like to see what Green can do this season and in the off-season to improve Hutton's game.

He won't get any better sitting in the pressbox...Hutton was a regular before Green, now he's a healthy scratch and trade rumors are swirling.  It suggest to me that Green wants to spend his time & effort elsewhere.

 

and According to who is Green the young player whisperer? ... CDC?   THe only young players who had any impact on the Canucks didn't even come up front the Green school of hockey :  Horvat, Boeser, Stetcher, Grandlund, Baertschi (except for one playoff stint in Utica), Tryamkin all bypassed Green in Utica.  Also, even if Green is good with young player, it's not like he can elevate anyone from fringe NHLer to All-Star.  From what I've seen I doubt Green can make Hutton a solid top 4...maybe he can bring him to be an NHL regular on a bottom pairing, at most. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

our defense has deteriorated badly this year

it is young and supposed to be developing

there is something wrong with how they are being whispered to

the team is on track to let in 280 goals this year

3.5 per game

there are only a couple worse teams in the league

this is a talent / injury / system / coaching issue

 

The way I see it, Hutton and Stetcher were overhyped and their talent overestimated because of the lack of defensive depth.  If we had just a respectable blueline when they came in, they would have started in the AHL, but our lack of depth and talent made them look like the best option, but were not necessarily ready to make the jump.

 

They were given top 4 roles on our team and looked good because our team was so bad.  Now that our team is trying to take a step forward, their flaws are showing and they can't seem to take the next step with the others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hutton should be leave?  Yes or No.

 

He made some mistakes in the games of this seasons.  However, after sitting, he played great last night.

I would like to keep him if he could play same as last night.

 

Otherwise, trade him for a early 3rd round pick of late 2nd round pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

and According to who is Green the young player whisperer? ... CDC?   THe only young players who had any impact on the Canucks didn't even come up front the Green school of hockey :  Horvat, Boeser, Stetcher, Grandlund, Baertschi (except for one playoff stint in Utica), Tryamkin all bypassed Green in Utica.  Also, even if Green is good with young player, it's not like he can elevate anyone from fringe NHLer to All-Star.  From what I've seen I doubt Green can make Hutton a solid top 4...maybe he can bring him to be an NHL regular on a bottom pairing, at most. 

There have been a few articles of how Green has managed to improve the games of Virtanen and Gaunce. Supposedly, a summer chat with Brock Boeser and the initial benching also helped him improve his game. Baertschi was a bust until joining the Comets where he got to 15 points in 15 games and got called up.  

Ultimately, it's all about what you can get for an asset - I don't think the probability of a 3rd round pick being an All-Star is even decent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

 

The other part of me says Hutton is only 24yo, has had less than half a season of Green/Bomber tutelage under his belt, is on a decent contract, demonstrated offensive abilities at all levels he's played at (including the NHL), and has shown vastly improved motivation after being benched.  Give him time. 

^ This.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...