The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Discussion] Our Vancouver Canucks are ACTUALLY for sale

Jester13

I couldn't find another thread on this, so I apologize in advance if I missed one. And before you ask, my source will not be provided--I do apologize. It doesn't matter anyways, as this has already been reported as speculation over the last handful of years that Aquilini has been thinking about selling the team since we started to decline.

But I have just been informed that our Vancouver Canucks are actually - quietly - for sale.

Now, don't panic or overreact. I trust my source, but I don't want this thread to be all about, "Oh, here we go again with another person claiming they know someone..." yada yada yada.

Let's instead discuss what this could mean for our team moving forward.

Here are my thoughts: I'm a "wait and see how things play out"-type of person, so IMO it depends greatly on who purchases the team. However, I'm hopeful that someone who is a Canucks fan/hockey person first will buy the team so that our management has a longer leash to make a quality team for the future as they see fit, rather than worrying about how much money missing the playoffs will cost for a few years. I want owners who are long-term thinkers, not just "what has my team done for me lately" kind of owners, and who can put trust into the hockey people they hire to run their team. If you can afford to own the Canucks, you should be able to afford to stick through the good and the bad and trust those who know better.

But I can also see why FA & Co. would want to sell. I mean, they stand to likely make hundreds of millions of dollars if they do sell, and FA is a smart businessperson who can easily take that money and turn it into even more dollar bills. And I respect if he wants to put business before the team--he's earned the right to do so; I wouldn't, but I'm a diehard who is far from being a millionaire. But he's probably just ready to move on, and there's nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't screw us over long-term!

I'm, personally, ready for this new chapter of change with our team, both players and ownership. I think there's exciting times ahead with our boys, but, at the same time, I'm a little concerned now that maybe this is why a deal with Benning is yet to get done. Maybe JB is looking at signing elsewhere as he hears rumblings that the team is actually for sale. I would be very upset to see him go to another team, as I really think we need his player evaluation abilities--he would get poached in a heartbeat by another team, no question.

And who knows, maybe a deal to sell the team won't get done and FA will decide to ride it out, but it sounds like this time he's not only thinking about selling but actually shopping our team.

What about you? Spew your thoughts on this!

P.S.

Any feedback on improving the thread is, of course, always welcome.

There's really no source... 

Aquaman doesn't need money... and he does actually like hockey... and prides himself in owning the biggest sporting franchise in Vancouver which is North America's most sought after city... by far.  

Have you seen how much he made thanks to the money laundering immigrants that sky rocketed our real estate over the past 10 years? Why would he care for a billion cash right now? He has too much pride to sell the team. It's his most prized possession. 

This makes 0 sense. 

Then again... some launderer (legally) could offer him 4 billion and maybe then he'll have no choice but to say yes... still even at 4 billion, he doesn't need the money. I'd rather keep my team if I was him and had his pockets.

Edit: Just to clarify... I'm on team Aquaman. So much better than our old less rich and cheaper owners. Imagine how much better Ottawa would be if Aquaman owned them and actually spent... 

4 minutes ago, Cameron88188 said:

Bought for 207 mil in 2005, flip in 2018 for 700 mil, make sense to me. And yes this would would explain the delays in a JB contract issue and why/if the Aquilini balked from buying the BC Lions

If it is a winning team it is worth a billion.

Nah, I asked him and all he did was laugh. RIGHT!:lol:

For him it isn't about the money, just look at how much this management group has cost him.

Now McCaw was all about the money.

20 minutes ago, apollo said:

Aquaman doesn't need money... and he does actually like hockey... and prides himself in owning the biggest sporting franchise in Vancouver which is North America's most sought after city... by far.  

Have you seen how much he made thanks to the money laundering immigrants that sky rocketed our real estate over the past 10 years? Why would he care for a billion cash right now? He has too much pride to sell the team. It's his most prized possession. 

This makes 0 sense. 

Then again... some launderer (legally) could offer him 4 billion and maybe then he'll have no choice but to say yes... still even at 4 billion, he doesn't need the money. I'd rather keep my team if I was him and had his pockets.

Edit: Just to clarify... I'm on team Aquaman. So much better than our old less rich and cheaper owners. Imagine how much better Ottawa would be if Aquaman owned them and actually spent... 

Aquaman is busy with the Justice League and his fish friends, Francesco and the Aquillini's are all about the Benjamins. His toy is no longer bringing in the money it used to but I tend to agree that the family like being the owners of the Canucks. I also don't think they are a "sell-low" kind of investor. Although they would still make a considerable amount selling right now it would not be close what they could have sold for in 2012 or 2013 when they still had a relatively full house.

lets be real, you don't have a source.

im ok with this being an discussion but cmon on you don't have a valid source. just trying to make your thread more credible somehow.

ftr I want FA to keep the team. after the final lost he got the team some mental treatment which to me was very intelligent and showed how much of a class org the canucks actually are. He has been one of the best owners in the league since he took over imo.

3 minutes ago, Cameron88188 said:

Bought for 207 mil in 2005, flip in 2018 for 700 mil, make sense to me. And yes this would would explain the delays in a JB contract issue and why/if the Aquilini balked from buying the BC Lions

500 million would be tough to say no to when the evaluation of the team has arguably peaked for the time being.

The team already spends to the Cap limit every year and we have the best guys in place running this team (JB/TL) so how could new ownership have any real positive impact on/off the ice right now?  If ownership was low-balling the roster with reference to the cap, never spent a dime on UFA's and brought in douche-bag players who didn't give anything back to the community then I'd say time for a change - but we aren't, so how would new ownership have any significant positive impact in our situation (rebuild) right now?    If true, not sure how this helps the team at the moment or in the near future? 

32 minutes ago, apollo said:

This makes 0 sense. 

Everything is for sale at the right price, If someone offered him 1 billion for the Canucks Aquilini would sell it in a heartbeat. He paid 205mil in 2004 thats a 400% return on money plus whatever hes made on the Canucks in that time period. 

FWIW, I didn't say FA isn't a Canucks fan, just that I'd like to see an owner who is a fan first--i.e. businessperson second.

I like FA in a lot of ways: spends to the cap, wants to win, etc. But he did prevent the rebuild from happening sooner, which likely cost us a player in the calibre of McD, Matthews, Laine, etc. I'd be ok with him sticking it out and remaining as owner, but I'd also be ok with change.

Archived