The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Discussion] Our Vancouver Canucks are ACTUALLY for sale

Jester13

Just now, Alflives said:

Will this thread be locked before Aqualini sells the Canucks?

Locked? On what grounds, Alf? I mean, sure, mods can lock it if they see fit, but what's wrong with discussing the potential of our owners selling the team and what that could mean moving forward?

Just now, Jester13 said:

Locked? On what grounds, Alf? I mean, sure, mods can lock it if they see fit, but what's wrong with discussing the potential of our owners selling the team and what that could mean moving forward?

I have heard Pratt (on 1040) suggest our team is for sale too, but he (like you) provide no credible source.  Yes, we can have a theoretical discussion about what would happen with a different owner, of course, but there is no basis to discussing our team is "actually" for sale.  That's how I see it, anyway.

I think a different owner could be really bad for a franchise staying in Vancouver.  Currently our team is horrific, has empty seats, and is losing money.  A new owner might think about relocating the team, and having no hockey would be FAR worse than having a crappy team.

52 minutes ago, apollo said:

There's really no source... 

Aquaman doesn't need money... and he does actually like hockey... and prides himself in owning the biggest sporting franchise in Vancouver which is North America's most sought after city... by far.  

Have you seen how much he made thanks to the money laundering immigrants that sky rocketed our real estate over the past 10 years? Why would he care for a billion cash right now? He has too much pride to sell the team. It's his most prized possession. 

This makes 0 sense. 

Then again... some launderer (legally) could offer him 4 billion and maybe then he'll have no choice but to say yes... still even at 4 billion, he doesn't need the money. I'd rather keep my team if I was him and had his pockets.

Edit: Just to clarify... I'm on team Aquaman. So much better than our old less rich and cheaper owners. Imagine how much better Ottawa would be if Aquaman owned them and actually spent... 

Wait what...this isn't 2005. Times have changed. 

Just now, Alflives said:

I have heard Pratt (on 1040) suggest our team is for sale too, but he (like you) provide no credible source.  Yes, we can have a theoretical discussion about what would happen with a different owner, of course, but there is no basis to discussing our team is "actually" for sale.  That's how I see it, anyway.

I think a different owner could be really bad for a franchise staying in Vancouver.  Currently our team is horrific, has empty seats, and is losing money.  A new owner might think about relocating the team, and having no hockey would be FAR worse than having a crappy team.

Perfect time for someone to buy the team then? Especially considering the value of the team has the potential to go up from where it currently is?

Relocation would definitely be a possibility/concern, but would a new owner really want to move the team from one of Canada's best hockey markets?

Why not test the selling market and, if a deal is reached, use the profit to go into other ventures? FA is a businessperson first, after all.

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Perfect time for someone to buy the team then? Especially considering the value of the team has the potential to go up from where it currently is?

Relocation would definitely be a possibility/concern, but would a new owner really want to move the team from one of Canada's best hockey markets?

Why not test the selling market and, if a deal is reached, use the profit to go into other ventures? FA is a businessperson first, after all.

Aqualini is not selling, or even open to offers though.  Other posters have already pointed out (as you just did) that it's bad business to sell now.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Aqualini is not selling, or even open to offers though.  Other posters have already pointed out (as you just did) that it's bad business to sell now.  

He stands to still make hundreds of millions when a deal goes through, and he's wanting to go in a different business venture direction. He's a businessperson first and Canucks fan second who couldn't handle the reality that a rebuild was inevitable. Gillis wanted to rebuild and was turned down and then consequently let go. JB was forced to retool a sinking ship but it didn't work, because it couldn't have worked. FA then had people very close to him telling him over and over again that he had to give the green light to JB to rebuild, and he finally got on board--and look where JB has gotten us since. He wants to see what he can get for the team.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Selling low in the business world happens all the time Alf. This is usually predicated on the belief that the price will be even lower in the future or you can make more money with the capital you have raised from the sale. For example, Banks close (sell) branches all the time, not because the branches don't make money, but because they can make more money by redeploying their capital to other ventures. At the personal level, if you are in the stock market you certainly don't want to sell low but that is usually preferable to selling lower or holding on to a stock that goes to zero.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

hmmm... they'd stand to make around 500 million so I'd say thats pretty good (they bought in at ~150). The going rate for an expansion club is 650 million. 

I really don't think it would make that much difference tbh, as long as its not Chip Wilson things should be stable. 

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Selling low in the business world happens all the time Alf. This is usually predicated on the belief that the price will be even lower in the future or you can make more money with the capital you have raised from the sale. For example, Banks close (sell) branches all the time, not because the branches don't make money, but because they can make more money by redeploying their capital to other ventures. At the personal level, if you are in the stock market you certainly don't want to sell low but that is usually preferable to selling lower or holding on to a stock that goes to zero.

If that were true he would be better off moving the team and selling the property. Seattle? He could have his cake and eat it too. Then his family would be out from under the stress is under having the team here.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if he'll do it on a rent to own deal I'm in. 

The Canucks should go public. That way all of us can buy shares and have a say in the direction of the club. Thats gotta be good, right?

Hey, Jimmy, wanna start a Kickstarter campaign with me to build enough capital so we can be owners? ;) 

I hope this is true.  There is no way even a soulless Bettman will allow a relocation of the Canucks so hopefully a new owner comes in and lets the hockey people handle the hockey decisions and he isn't a slumlord.  Let Linden and Benning do their jobs:

Image result for warning don't tell me how to do my job sign

• -DLC- locked this topic

In following up, I want to be a bit more specific about closing the thread.

"Are" for sale and "won't reveal my source" are different than "potentially", which you've offered after the fact.  Which one is it?  Do you KNOW they ARE for sale and have a credible source, as indicated?  Or is this speculation based on your ideas?

I closed based on this (and that it is more of a "rumour" than Canucks Talk in my view).  But, there is potential for some good discussion and I see another mod has offered an opinion so if you want to pm me to discuss this, feel free.  

Archived