The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Anthony Duclair, Adam Clendening to Blackhawks for Richard Panik, Laurent Dauphin

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Chayka is the king of tank nation, this just helps that along for this year and next. I think its all part of a plan to tank on purpose for 3 seasons and then offer sheet Auston Matthews. 

I don't know - tank nation tends to be a draft pick accumulation strategy - Chayka dealt a top 10 pick for Derek Stepan.

I really don't know what Phoenix is doing - more often than not I'm dumbfounded by their moves. 

In this case though I'm not sure what choices he had - apparently Duclair asked out?  Who knows - this may have been the best offer.   I'm not sure what people expected Duclair to return - when I first looked at this my thought was that it's a bit of an odd move on both sides.  Chicago - the more competitive club, deals a guy that just scored 22 goals for them - and Arizona deals the younger asset - they both took risks that would seem at odds with what they 'should' be trying to do - but it isn't that simple in any event.   If I'm a playoff team or contender I might opt for Panik, if I'm a retooling or young team I might opt for Duclair.   Perhaps this is a mini-transition move for Chicago to get a bit younger (or maybe they feel they need more than Panik and are willing to take the risk on Duclair) while Arizona may want more veteran presence as seemed the case with Stepan.  To me it looks like a reasonable enough hockey trade in terms of value - the reasoning would be interesting to know.

9 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Haha because we are such a threat. We have made trades within the division, if it makes your team better in the GM's mind then the deal should be made. Too much gets made into inter division trading, especially for lower end talent.

thats true, Jim has done a lot of them actually, but maybe AZ didn't want to. All we know for sure is they made a poor trade. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the point is mediocrity and a guaranteed top 4 pick. AZ is a joke but Bettman has put so much effort into his pet project he's not going to punish them for outright tanking. 

Seems to me they were pretty mediocre with Duclair in the lineup.

Why rush into a trade because a young player requests one? Would they not have more time and options in the offseason to make a deal that actually benefits them?

As much as Duclair has declined, he was one of their best players only two seasons ago. This is the definition of selling low.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Only in Vancouver do fans still complain about a minor trade for years. 

Forsling and Clendening are not an upgrade on this team right now at all. There's a reason why Forsling is playing on Chicago's bottom pair.

Move on people. There will be other Forsling level players to be had in the future. 

Maybe because he's 21 and only has 75 nhl games under his belt.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I just find it funny how people use that trade as examples of Benning being a bad GM. They're overvaluing Forsling big time.

Meanwhile he gave up a 2nd which is looking like a good d prospect for a mediocre Baertschi and many on here called him a genius. I guess it works both ways.

Essentially they're swapping lottery ticket reclamation projects (not too long ago Panik was flourishing there, so swapping him for Duclair doesn't seem too far from the realm of possibility, and I think he'll flourish over there).  

Clendening and Dauphin are pretty much a wash IMO.  Maybe Panik can remain productive if he's next to Keller?  Not sure it's as lopsided as people say it is.  

Just now, DeNiro said:

Why rush into a trade because a young player requests one? Would they not have more time and options in the offseason to make a deal that actually benefits them?

As much as Duclair has trailed, he was one of their best players only two seasons ago. This is the definition of selling low.

Arizona was trying to move Duclair for some time.  He requested a trade after they had already decided that they were going to move him.  Craig Morgan from Arizona Sports wrote this after his trade request: 

The Athletic’s Craig Custance reported that Duclair’s camp had requested a trade; an oddly timed piece of information since Duclair has been available at least a year.

“Hey, we know you’re trying to trade Anthony, but we’d like you to trade Anthony.“

This explains in part why they were trying to move him.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Clendenning has been to CHI-VAN-PITT-NYR-ARI-CHI . What exactly do you think we missed? I can agree about Forsling but Benning had to decide how many midgets he would have on the blueline. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Only in Vancouver do fans still complain about a minor trade for years. 

Forsling and Clendening are not an upgrade on this team right now at all. There's a reason why Forsling is playing on Chicago's bottom pair.

Move on people. There will be other Forsling level players to be had in the future. 

Gentlemen,

At no point am I complaining about that trade.  I am simply saying ti burns me that they somehow manage to have both of them back  Nothing more.

If it's not a complaint, don't turn it in to one ;)

Duclair should fit in very nicely into the Hawks system.  Clear win for Chicago, buying super low due to the trade request. 

The lack of work ethic likely caused Benning to be wary of him (although I think he'd buy into Green's system).  Arizona has a tendency to make really weird trades so maybe they just really like Panik for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Ugh. Ghosts of that Forsling trade still haunting the Nucks. I love most of what JB has done. That trade was a major, major goof. Clendening was a plug.

At that time Clendenning was an experienced near .8 ppg defenseman under the age of 22 and Forsling was a tiny 5th round pick who had an above average WJC.

It was heralded as a decent trade by almost everyone.

Except of course in hindsight :P

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

At that time Clendenning was an experienced near .8 ppg defenseman under the age of 22 and Forsling was a tiny 5th round pick who had an above average WJC.

Yes. I was a fan of it when it happened and was excited to see Clendenning. I was excited on paper. Was disappointed almost instantly and continually. The scouts that watched Clen play let JB down big time. 

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's like a tradition for us.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Last season.

I guess he was a year older, but still a rookie. Point is these types of players can be found again. Just looking at points doesn't tell the whole story. He's clearly been demoted for a reason.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I just find it funny how people use that trade as examples of Benning being a bad GM. They're overvaluing Forsling big time.

So Forsling was 'clearly demoted for a reason' - and people are 'overvaluing Forsling big time'.......

But Duclair..... was he on the trade block for so long - for a reason?   Can't players like him be found again?   Maybe, ironically, you're overvaluing Duclair.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

As much as Duclair has declined, he was one of their best players only two seasons ago. This is the definition of selling low.

well... I dunno. Thats the best I could come up with. Its not like Duclair had a NMC or any say in where. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I don't know - tank nation tends to be a draft pick accumulation strategy - Chayka dealt a top 10 pick for Derek Stepan.

I really don't know what Phoenix is doing - more often than not I'm dumbfounded by their moves. 

In this case though I'm not sure what choices he had - apparently Duclair asked out?  Who knows - this may have been the best offer.   I'm not sure what people expected Duclair to return - when I first looked at this my thought was that it's a bit of an odd move on both sides.  Chicago - the more competitive club, deals a guy that just scored 22 goals for them - and Arizona deals the younger asset - they both took risks that would seem at odds with what they 'should' be trying to do - but it isn't that simple in any event.   If I'm a playoff team or contender I might opt for Panik, if I'm a retooling or young team I might opt for Duclair.   Perhaps this is a mini-transition move for Chicago to get a bit younger (or maybe they feel they need more than Panik and are willing to take the risk on Duclair) while Arizona may want more veteran presence as seemed the case with Stepan.  To me it looks like a reasonable enough hockey trade in terms of value - the reasoning would be interesting to know.

it makes a lot more sense to me from CHIs pov for the reason you state, and also for some much needed cap-management. CHI could now fit in a guy like Vanek e.g., at the trade deadline too. And if they have some luck (like they need it) maybe there's some chemistry there that re-ignities Duclairs career. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Arizona was trying to move Duclair for some time.  He requested a trade after they had already decided that they were going to move him.  Craig Morgan from Arizona Sports wrote this after his trade request: 

The Athletic’s Craig Custance reported that Duclair’s camp had requested a trade; an oddly timed piece of information since Duclair has been available at least a year.

“Hey, we know you’re trying to trade Anthony, but we’d like you to trade Anthony.“

This explains in part why they were trying to move him.

Quenneville has more credibility than Tochett. He just scratched Seabrook. And they dumped let go Byfuglien a few years back. Maybe he'll pay attention there?

Q also has more lure to motivate him.  Play with Kane, Schamltz...

The team also has more ability shelter him. Use him more exclusively in an offensive role & have it work for the team.  Pitt has been able to make use of Phil Kessel in a similar, bigger (lol, literally) and more magnanimous example.

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

13pts in 37 games at age 21 for a D man. I would be thrilled to have him on our team!! Seems like nothing but potential upside. That was a knee jerk stupid trade, but yes it is in the past.

Loved Forsling at the WJC to only see him gone moments later. 

Yeah we would! (We would...)

But at that time we had precious little puck skill on our blue line. And Clendenning was an AHL all star. Also a higher draft pick than Forsling. Who's next logical developmental move was a crack at an NHL roster spot. Did not fit on the Hawks blue line.  At the time it could easily be argued it was an upgrade. It was at worst a good risk.

Turns out Clendenning was not up to it. We lost out.

We will have things that don't work out. Crash even. Just like we have players who kill it, see Boeser.

Its about the averages.

Archived