The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offside challenges. McJesus not happy

rekker

14 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

then they would have to get rid of the instant replay too then, because people watching the game will see when a play should have been offside.  It's why they put it there in the first place

That's no different then any call by the refs though.

51 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Keep offside challenges but change the rules of offside by removing the requirement that the skate needs to be touching the ice.

Why?  The players know the rule, and should drag their skate.  In fact, most players are aware enough to drag their skate, and we see evidence of this every game.  It’s kind of like the NFL rule, where a receiver must get two feet down befor stepping out of bounds.  The NHL is the best leGue in the world, and has great players.  They can make their skate drag.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why?  The players know the rule, and should drag their skate.  In fact, most players are aware enough to drag their skate, and we see evidence of this every game.  It’s kind of like the NFL rule, where a receiver must get two feet down befor stepping out of bounds.  The NHL is the best leGue in the world, and has great players.  They can make their skate drag.  

Give me one good reason for why being required to have your skate touch the blueline is a sensible rule?

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Give me one good reason for why being required to have your skate touch the blueline is a sensible rule?

Isn’t a player considered inside the zone once they cross the blue line, and have no other part of their body touching outside the line?  That’s why players drag their skate, because they know the rule.  I think NHL players are amazing skaters, who should be able to drag their toe to stay onside.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t a player considered inside the zone once they cross the blue line, and have no other part of their body touching outside the line?  That’s why players drag their skate, because they know the rule.  I think NHL players are amazing skaters, who should be able to drag their toe to stay onside.  

Drag skate, sure, but you could easily drag your skate and still have it lift a little. 

You have to keep the replay/coaches challenge. In fact, I'd like to see it be used more for things like penalties, even, but I do worry it would slow the game down possibly too much. 

I want to see the right call on the ice. Every. Single. Time. The last thing a team should have to experience is losing a series or, gawd forbid, the cup due to a missed/horrible call by officials. I know there's only so much that could be done, but the league should do whatever they can to take out the opinions of the refs - on the whole the refs are good, but more can be done to ensure human error is removed.  

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I have to agree with McDavid i say keep the reviews for actual goals scored whether they cross the line or not kind of thing. It's to the point where every goal is scrutinized for any chance of there being a chance of offside. Take the damn tv,s from the bench as well.

I was thinking that. No TV's on the bench then only very obvious offsides challenged.

I don't mind the challenges if used for blatant missed calls but when they have to spend 5 minutes determining if a player is offside by a skate lace then they are essentially changing the rules of the game. Hockey is such a fast game and those things cannot possibly be seen by the human eye and have probably gone uncalled for a century.

Linesmen are so afraid of being challenged and losing the challenge that they seem to prematurely call offside if it seems close, that is just wrong. 

I say keep the challenges but only if it is a no-brainer missed call, I don't know how to word that but someone could figure it out. Then leave the rest to the linesmen.

15 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Keep offside challenges but change the rules of offside by removing the requirement that the skate needs to be touching the ice.

Agreed.  I think you should be able to challenge the offside to eliminate those blatant ones, but this is getting ridiculous.  Maybe the blue line needs to be treated as a plane like the end zone in football.

Most of your body onside but foot lifted - offside -no goal 

net falling on goaltender dman helping so it doesn’t - good goal.

kinda get the offside it’s the classic give an inch they’ll take a mile. I don’t mind the offside calls  the puck should have to enter the zone before a toe goes over the line.

”you know what  grinds my gears” 

its like line changes guys are now nowhere near the bench and their replacements come on and he  doesnt touch the puck so it’s ok. The guy coming on shouldn’t be on the ice until the other guy is over the boards. 

Peter griffin.

Oh that and in 3/3 over time -a no over and back centreline - would eliminate the skating around with the puck waiting for line changes.

Archived