The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Islanders Decision Time With Tavares

The New York Islanders have to make a massive decision very soon.  Tavares is a pending UFA and losing him as a free agent without return would set the franchise back massively.  Either they believe Tavares is close to re-signing and make a strong push to acquire players to prove they want to be successful, or if they think he likely won't re-sign then they need to trade him by the deadline and kick start the rebuild.  If they trade him, they might as well sell the core of the team as they have pending UFA's like Hickey and De Haan, and Bailey as well as veterans like Boychuk and Ladd who they should ditch.  The worst case scenario for them would be for Tavares to walk in free agency.  Franchise players like Tavares don't come along every day, and losing him would not only mean rebuilding, but losing the face of the franchise and realistically not having a truly elite player for a long time unless they happen to get lucky in the draft over the next five years.

By far their best option is to improve quickly, to convince Tavares to stay, then re-sign guys like Hickey, De Haan and Bailey to continue building with the core of players around 26 years old.  The Islanders actually have a decent core of players roughly in their mid-twenties entering their prime including Tavares, Eberle, Bailey, Lee, Leddy, Hickey, and De Haan.  They have one really good young player in Barzal along with a few others in Ho Sang, Pulock, Dal Colle, Beauvillier.  They have some veterans like Seidenberg, Ladd, Clutterbuck.  Tavares has good chemistry playing with Bailey and Lee which may help to convince him to re-sign.  So they actually have some potential of keeping him.

The Islanders are currently just out of a playoff spot.  Their #1 need is in goal.  Right now they also have a couple key defensemen injured.  They also need to improve their third line.  Adding a star player could really help convince Tavares to stay but cap room could become an issue with re-signing Tavares, Bailey, Hickey and DeHaan as well as finding a goalie.  They have assets from the Calgary trade to work with as well as some young players.  

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
Let me know your thoughts.

A ) If you were the Islanders GM, what moves would you make to try to improve the team in order to convince Tavares to stay?
and
B ) If it is unlikely that Tavares will re-sign, what sort of package do you think they could get for him at the trade deadline?

MY ANSWERS

A )  Trades to help improve the Islanders and try to convince Tavares to stay

Unfortunately for the Islanders there aren't too many franchise players, especially goalies, available for trade, so they'll have to make more strategic moves to improve the team this year as well as for the next few years.  Here are a couple suggestions in the areas of need.  They have two first round picks this year, two second round picks this year, and a first round pick next year and two second round picks next year.  So they have lots of assets to trade.

GOALTENDING

Primary need is goaltending. I would first try to put together a massive package for Carey Price.  This fills several needs of having a superstar to help convince Tavares to stay, fixing the goal issue, and mightily improving the team.  With two first round picks this year, Greiss, and a top prospect like Ho Sang there's maybe a chance but very slim.  Montreal would definitely want Barzal and I don't think the Islanders will trade him.  I don't think the Habs would trade Price, but I'd try to throw everything at them to do it.  Cap space next year would also be a major issue.

There aren't too many other established goalies on the trade market right now.  The next two teams I would approach are Buffalo about Lehner and Vancouver about Markstrom.  Both teams would expect a good package to part with their starting goalie's who are 26-27 years old, but neither are making a cup push in the next couple years so a package of a 1st round pick plus a good prospect or another 1st round pick could do it. 

Conclusion: Vancouver trades Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson 2018 3rd & 5th round picks for Thomas Greiss, 2018 Calgary 1st round pick, 2019 NYI first round pick.  This gives Vancouver two very good assets for the rebuild, has Greiss to split time with Nilsson for a couple seasons until Demko is ready and gives the Islanders a starting goalie, the same age as the core of their team, who is signed on for a reasonable price which will help with re-signing other players.  Gudbranson also helps this season defensively to cover for injuries, is around the same age as the core of their team if they decide to re-sign him, but also provides cap flexibility if they need it in the off-season.

HIGH END TALENT

The immediate need is in goal, they need another defenseman especially until guys return from injury, but the next need is one more good player to help take the team to the next level.  With Lee - Tavares - Bailey as the first line, I think a second line LW is the best position to do this.  Currently it's Ladd - Barzal - Eberle.  While that is pretty good, bumping Ladd down to the third line greatly improves that third line.  They should target a scoring left winger to play with Eberle and Barzal.  This list of players I think they should reach out about are Evander Kane, Mike Hoffman, Galchenyuk, or Pacioretty since they're all teams out of the playoffs.  Kane is a pending UFA, and I think they'd want a player beyond this year to help convince Tavares, so that rules him out.  So I'd reach out to Ottawa or Montreal.  I would try for Pacioretty but Montreal would likely much prefer to trade Galchenyuk.  I'd be willing to overpay for Pacioretty.  Conclusion: I'd offer Ho Sang, Pulock, 2018 Calgary 2nd round pick (maybe 2018 NYI 1st?) for Pacioretty.

Overall adding Markstrom in net, and Pacioretty as a very good winger along with Gudbranson added to the backline may not be earth shaking deals but they make the Islanders quite a bit better this season, and next season while showing Tavares they are serious about winning.

B ) Trade packages I think Tavares could get at the deadline.

If the Islanders reach the deadline and are even 50/50 of whether Tavares will re-sign, and not able to improve the team, I think they should deal him (along with several other players) for a huge package and start the rebuild around Barzal.  This is FAR less appealing of an option for the Islanders than improving to keep Tavares but realistically must be done if he's leaning towards leaving with no return.

Almost every team will be interested in trading for him, even those who aren't in a playoff spot if they think they can convince him to stay with a 6 month head start to negotiate over anyone else.  I'll pick a couple teams that I think are most realistic and what the packages would be, in my opinion.  Even though he'll be a pending UFA, I think the price will be very high.  Each deal has a young-ish current good player, a good prospect, a first and second round pick

Montreal - While they're terrible this year, having a true franchise centerman would be their dream come true.  They have pieces to trade, and might be willing to deal those for the chance to get Tavares and sign him long-term, as a core along with Price, Pacioretty and Weber.
To Montreal: John Tavares
To New York Islanders: Alex Galchenyuk, 2018 First Round Pick (likely top 10), Noah Juulsen, 2019 2nd round pick

Toronto - Similar to Montreal, they would do this deal as a way to negotiate with Tavares before any other team, as lines with Matthews and Tavares on them would give Toronto their version of Crosby and Malkin for years to come.  They wouldn't part with Marner, Matthews, Nylander or Rielly just for a chance to negotiate early, but most other pieces would be available.  The main challenge is that they gave their cap space to Marleau last off-season.
To Toronto: John Tavares

To New York Islanders: Nazem Kadri, Kasperi Kapanen, 2018 first round pick, 2019 2nd round pick

Vegas - This is a bit of a wildcard as coming into this year no one would expect them to be as good as they are.  But giving Tavares a boatload of cash, making him the face of the franchise, and continuing to build this good young team may actually make sense.  Vegas also has lots of assets to trade.  Personally I think they'd wait til the off-season rather than trading young assets but it's a possibility.

To Vegas: John Tavares

To NYI: Malcolm Subban, Shea Theodore, 2019 first round pick, 2018 second round pick

(With the fact that Tavares is a pending UFA, maybe the 2nd round picks could be taken off those deals, but I still think the price will be high)

What are your thoughts?  Should they sell Tavares or stock up to convince him to stay?  Do you think these deals are realistic?  What deals would you suggest?

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Pulock,

2018 1st x2(Cal & NYI picks) to EDM

For Draisatl

So they'd have Drai & Barzal at C.

Then deal JT for a tonne of stuff

Interesting.  So a bit of a sideways move but younger and locked up long term.  Trade Tavares for assets.  Trade assets for Draisatl.  If Tavares were to leave I could see NYI doing this.  However I can't see Edmonton trading for picks that will take years to develop.  If they're trading Draisaitl, it should be for a player like Oliver Ekman-Larson.

12 minutes ago, underrated said:

Interesting.  So a bit of a sideways move but younger and locked up long term.  Trade Tavares for assets.  Trade assets for Draisatl.  If Tavares were to leave I could see NYI doing this.  However I can't see Edmonton trading for picks that will take years to develop.  If they're trading Draisaitl, it should be for a player like Oliver Ekman-Larson.

But if you're Edm, imagine adding 3 2018 1st R picks to McD, while dealing with your immediate cap-crunch problem?

If the Islanders offer that deal for Gudbranson and Marky you take it.  Calgary could fall out of the playoffs at any time and even with the Isles doing what the Isles do they could capably miss the playoffs next year as well.  2 lottery picks for Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk

Ya you almost have to take it

Imagine winning the lottery with the Calgary pick and drafting Dahlin and then selecting Tkachuk with the Canucks pick at 5

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If the Islanders offer that deal for Gudbranson and Marky you take it.  Calgary could fall out of the playoffs at any time and even with the Isles doing what the Isles do they could capably miss the playoffs next year as well.  2 lottery picks for Dahlin/Svechnikov/Zadina/Tkachuk

Ya you almost have to take it

Imagine winning the lottery with the Calgary pick and drafting Dahlin and then selecting Tkachuk with the Canucks pick at 5

Except they would never offer that. Btw isn't Calgary 3rd?

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Except they would never offer that. Btw isn't Calgary 3rd?

You're questioning Garth Snow doing something stupid....really?

Calgary as of right now sits 7th in the west with San Jose/Chicago/Minnesota/Anaheim and even the surging Avs behind them.  The possibility of them falling out of the playoff picture is very possible

2 hours ago, underrated said:

The New York Islanders have to make a massive decision very soon.  Tavares is a pending UFA and losing him as a free agent without return would set the franchise back massively.  Either they believe Tavares is close to re-signing and make a strong push to acquire players to prove they want to be successful, or if they think he likely won't re-sign then they need to trade him by the deadline and kick start the rebuild.  If they trade him, they might as well sell the core of the team as they have pending UFA's like Hickey and De Haan, and Bailey as well as veterans like Boychuk and Ladd who they should ditch.  The worst case scenario for them would be for Tavares to walk in free agency.  Franchise players like Tavares don't come along every day, and losing him would not only mean rebuilding, but losing the face of the franchise and realistically not having a truly elite player for a long time unless they happen to get lucky in the draft over the next five years.

By far their best option is to improve quickly, to convince Tavares to stay, then re-sign guys like Hickey, De Haan and Bailey to continue building with the core of players around 26 years old.  The Islanders actually have a decent core of players roughly in their mid-twenties entering their prime including Tavares, Eberle, Bailey, Lee, Leddy, Hickey, and De Haan.  They have one really good young player in Barzal along with a few others in Ho Sang, Pulock, Dal Colle, Beauvillier.  They have some veterans like Seidenberg, Ladd, Clutterbuck.  Tavares has good chemistry playing with Bailey and Lee which may help to convince him to re-sign.  So they actually have some potential of keeping him.

The Islanders are currently just out of a playoff spot.  Their #1 need is in goal.  Right now they also have a couple key defensemen injured.  They also need to improve their third line.  Adding a star player could really help convince Tavares to stay but cap room could become an issue with re-signing Tavares, Bailey, Hickey and DeHaan as well as finding a goalie.  They have assets from the Calgary trade to work with as well as some young players.  

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
Let me know your thoughts.

A ) If you were the Islanders GM, what moves would you make to try to improve the team in order to convince Tavares to stay?
and
B ) If it is unlikely that Tavares will re-sign, what sort of package do you think they could get for him at the trade deadline?

MY ANSWERS

A )  Trades to help improve the Islanders and try to convince Tavares to stay

Unfortunately for the Islanders there aren't too many franchise players, especially goalies, available for trade, so they'll have to make more strategic moves to improve the team this year as well as for the next few years.  Here are a couple suggestions in the areas of need.  They have two first round picks this year, two second round picks this year, and a first round pick next year and two second round picks next year.  So they have lots of assets to trade.

GOALTENDING

Primary need is goaltending. I would first try to put together a massive package for Carey Price.  This fills several needs of having a superstar to help convince Tavares to stay, fixing the goal issue, and mightily improving the team.  With two first round picks this year, Greiss, and a top prospect like Ho Sang there's maybe a chance but very slim.  Montreal would definitely want Barzal and I don't think the Islanders will trade him.  I don't think the Habs would trade Price, but I'd try to throw everything at them to do it.  Cap space next year would also be a major issue.

There aren't too many other established goalies on the trade market right now.  The next two teams I would approach are Buffalo about Lehner and Vancouver about Markstrom.  Both teams would expect a good package to part with their starting goalie's who are 26-27 years old, but neither are making a cup push in the next couple years so a package of a 1st round pick plus a good prospect or another 1st round pick could do it. 

Conclusion: Vancouver trades Jacob Markstrom, Erik Gudbranson 2018 3rd & 5th round picks for Thomas Greiss, 2018 Calgary 1st round pick, 2019 NYI first round pick.  This gives Vancouver two very good assets for the rebuild, has Greiss to split time with Nilsson for a couple seasons until Demko is ready and gives the Islanders a starting goalie, the same age as the core of their team, who is signed on for a reasonable price which will help with re-signing other players.  Gudbranson also helps this season defensively to cover for injuries, is around the same age as the core of their team if they decide to re-sign him, but also provides cap flexibility if they need it in the off-season.

HIGH END TALENT

The immediate need is in goal, they need another defenseman especially until guys return from injury, but the next need is one more good player to help take the team to the next level.  With Lee - Tavares - Bailey as the first line, I think a second line LW is the best position to do this.  Currently it's Ladd - Barzal - Eberle.  While that is pretty good, bumping Ladd down to the third line greatly improves that third line.  They should target a scoring left winger to play with Eberle and Barzal.  This list of players I think they should reach out about are Evander Kane, Mike Hoffman, Galchenyuk, or Pacioretty since they're all teams out of the playoffs.  Kane is a pending UFA, and I think they'd want a player beyond this year to help convince Tavares, so that rules him out.  So I'd reach out to Ottawa or Montreal.  I would try for Pacioretty but Montreal would likely much prefer to trade Galchenyuk.  I'd be willing to overpay for Pacioretty.  Conclusion: I'd offer Ho Sang, Pulock, 2018 Calgary 2nd round pick (maybe 2018 NYI 1st?) for Pacioretty.

Overall adding Markstrom in net, and Pacioretty as a very good winger along with Gudbranson added to the backline may not be earth shaking deals but they make the Islanders quite a bit better this season, and next season while showing Tavares they are serious about winning.

B ) Trade packages I think Tavares could get at the deadline.

If the Islanders reach the deadline and are even 50/50 of whether Tavares will re-sign, and not able to improve the team, I think they should deal him (along with several other players) for a huge package and start the rebuild around Barzal.  This is FAR less appealing of an option for the Islanders than improving to keep Tavares but realistically must be done if he's leaning towards leaving with no return.

Almost every team will be interested in trading for him, even those who aren't in a playoff spot if they think they can convince him to stay with a 6 month head start to negotiate over anyone else.  I'll pick a couple teams that I think are most realistic and what the packages would be, in my opinion.  Even though he'll be a pending UFA, I think the price will be very high.  Each deal has a young-ish current good player, a good prospect, a first and second round pick

Montreal - While they're terrible this year, having a true franchise centerman would be their dream come true.  They have pieces to trade, and might be willing to deal those for the chance to get Tavares and sign him long-term, as a core along with Price, Pacioretty and Weber.
To Montreal: John Tavares
To New York Islanders: Alex Galchenyuk, 2018 First Round Pick (likely top 10), Noah Juulsen, 2019 2nd round pick

Toronto - Similar to Montreal, they would do this deal as a way to negotiate with Tavares before any other team, as lines with Matthews and Tavares on them would give Toronto their version of Crosby and Malkin for years to come.  They wouldn't part with Marner, Matthews, Nylander or Rielly just for a chance to negotiate early, but most other pieces would be available.  The main challenge is that they gave their cap space to Marleau last off-season.
To Toronto: John Tavares

To New York Islanders: Nazem Kadri, Kasperi Kapanen, 2018 first round pick, 2019 2nd round pick

Vegas - This is a bit of a wildcard as coming into this year no one would expect them to be as good as they are.  But giving Tavares a boatload of cash, making him the face of the franchise, and continuing to build this good young team may actually make sense.  Vegas also has lots of assets to trade.  Personally I think they'd wait til the off-season rather than trading young assets but it's a possibility.

To Vegas: John Tavares

To NYI: Malcolm Subban, Shea Theodore, 2019 first round pick, 2018 second round pick

(With the fact that Tavares is a pending UFA, maybe the 2nd round picks could be taken off those deals, but I still think the price will be high)

What are your thoughts?  Should they sell Tavares or stock up to convince him to stay?  Do you think these deals are realistic?  What deals would you suggest?

What if all these teams you suggest are on his no trade list?

53 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're questioning Garth Snow doing something stupid....really?

Calgary as of right now sits 7th in the west with San Jose/Chicago/Minnesota/Anaheim and even the surging Avs behind them.  The possibility of them falling out of the playoff picture is very possible

Good point about Snow and I think you misunderstood when I said 3rd. Btw Calgary is actually playing very well of late.

Anyhow Snow is a moron but I don't see him offering that and I think deep down inside you know it's a dream as well.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Good point about Snow and I think you misunderstood when I said 3rd. Btw Calgary is actually playing very well of late.

Anyhow Snow is a moron but I don't see him offering that and I think deep down inside you know it's a dream as well.

1 injury or 1 tavares comment about considering his options

And yes.  Quicker than a DiPietro injury he would do something like that 

Tavares is getting locked up for Stamkos dollars. The team is finally trending towards being a playoff team. I can't see Tavares leaving. I could maybe see Tavares asking for Kopitar/Kane money. He'd get far better value signing in the US. He comes to Canada only for a legit contender (which is honestly just Winnipeg and Toronto at this point) and at a bargain contract. Better to sign in the US cause they can sign him for 8-10 mil and it'd be better than signing for 10+ in Canada. I don't think he is going anywhere, it's just a matter of when he'll re-sign.

Archived