The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies suddenly aged 46

nuckin_futz

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies suddenly aged 46

fceefe359b5a975a6805170e299d382d-jpg--th

LONDON (AP) — Dolores O'Riordan, lead singer of Irish rock band The Cranberries, died suddenly on Monday. She was 46.

O'Riordan died in London, where she was recording, publicist Lindsey Holmes said.

"No further details are available at this time," Holmes said, adding that the singer's family was "devastated" by the news.

Formed in Limerick, Ireland at the end of the 1980s, The Cranberries became international stars in the 90s with hits including "Zombie" and "Linger" that fused the alternative rock edge with Celtic-infused pop tunefulness.

Irish President Michael D. Higgins said O'Riordan and the band "had an immense influence on rock and pop music in Ireland and internationally."

"To all those who follow and support Irish music, Irish musicians and the performing arts, her death will be a big loss," he said in a statement.

O'Riordan was The Cranberries' chief lyricist and co-songwriter, and her powerful, sometimes wailing, voice was key to the band's distinctive sound.

The group's 1993 debut album "Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?" sold millions of copies and produced the hit single "Linger."

The follow-up, "No Need to Argue," sold in even greater numbers and contained "Zombie," a howl against Northern Ireland's violent Troubles that topped singles charts in several countries.

The band released three more studio albums before splitting up in 2003. O'Riordan released a solo album, "Are You Listening," in 2007, and another, "No Baggage," in 2009.

The members of The Cranberries reunited that year, releasing the album "Roses" in 2012.

The Cranberries released the acoustic album "Something Else" in 2017 and had been due to tour Europe and North America. The tour was cut short because O'Riordan was suffering from back problems.

In 2014, O'Riordan was accused of assaulting three police officers and a flight attendant during a flight from New York to Ireland. She pleaded guilty and was fined 6,000 euros ($6,600).

Medical records given to the court indicated she was mentally ill at the time of the altercation. After her court hearing O'Riordan urged other people suffering mental illness to seek help.

O'Riordan is survived by her ex-husband, the former Duran Duran tour manager Don Burton, and their three children.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cranberries-singer-dolores-oriordan-dead-46-171801922.html

She had a beautiful voice.  She was also a part time Canadian having lived in Ontario for years with her family.  Rock 101 does without the music and I had been hoping they would do Linger or Dreams to showcase just how good she was at singing and harmonizing, in Dreams she even yodels. RIP.

Awful news, loved her.

Zombie is a favourite to this day...loved it from the first time I heard it.  The emotion in her voice was so raw and powerful and fit perfectly with a song with such a strong message.  Then she did other stuff that was lovely and beautiful in a contrast that showed her true range and versatility.

Truly sad news....

Her publicist confirmed the tragic news saying: "Family members are devastated to hear the breaking news and have requested privacy at this very difficult time."

The discovery of her body  at the Hilton prompted concerns that she may have taken her own life.

A Met Police spokesperson said: "Police in Westminster are dealing with a sudden death. Officers were called at 9.05am on Monday to a Hotel in Park Lane. A woman in her mid 40s was pronounced dead at the scene.

"At this early stage the death is being treated as unexplained. Enquiries continue."

The singer suffered from bi-polar disorder and was spared a criminal conviction after an air rage incident in 2014.

In May 2017, O'Riordan opened up about her singing career and depression in an interview with the Irish News.

"I’ve been singing since I was 5 years old,” she told the Irish News. “By the time I was 12, I was writing my own songs so, yeah, music has always been part of me.

"To be honest, I’ve never imagined doing anything else. I think at one time though, my mum, who’s deeply religious, might have had a notion of me becoming a nun!

“There have been times when I’ve struggled. The death of my father and mother-in-law was very hard.

"Looking back, I think depression, whatever the cause, is one of the worst things to go through. Then again, I’ve also had a lot of joy in my life, especially with my children. You get ups as well as downs. Sure isn’t that what life’s all about?”

kh-tweets-dolores.jpg?strip=all&w=750

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5347330/the-cranberries-dolores-oriordan-dead-46-singer-band/

Beautiful voice.

I heard she struggled with mental health issues...

Just a reminder to all of us.  If you have a family member or friend that is experiencing mental health issues  ...... reach out and support them.

If you can encourage them  / accompany them to getting support from some kind of a professional..... better yet.

Don't give up on someone that is experiencing mental health issues.... It is an illness and not their fault. No one would choose it.

I have an  inlaw that needs help. I need to do a better job of giving her support.. being there for her even if it is just listening to her....

My fav song from Dolores.....       LIke  RR37      #gonebutneverforgotten...

ya lifes short giver and be healthy   i shoukd be dead  from that semi truck almost killing me 2 yrs ago still have a bit of a limp hope i dont need another knee surgery  funny thing i was in best shape of life before it.  Being 40  is rough but il be back to best shape ever 2 yrs 

Archived