The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

North and South Korea to compete jointly in the Winter Olympics

HerrDrFunk

Just now, khay said:

nice... but I wonder if North Korea even has a single athlete that competes in one of the winter sports.

There will at least be some North Koreans on the woman's ice hockey team.

Hopefully this feel good moment doesn't get ruined when they match up against the Canadian women in the preliminaries and get utterly destroyed. 

2 minutes ago, khay said:

nice... but I wonder if North Korea even has a single athlete that competes in one of the winter sports.

If I recall, speed skating yes and I believe they've medaled recently (2 decades of winter games) in one

(1992 speed skating)

But actually did well in Summer olympics with 7 medals in Rio, 2 being gold

Now, knowing that North Korea does in fact participate regularly in Olympic events and has averaged 6 medals per every summer event since Barcelona there's no question that this cooperative team can ONLY be the work of the same guy who is responsible for Spring, the sun in the sky and late night twitter rants.

Of course ;)

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yes, they've had a team in every Olympics going back to when they boycotted the '88 games for being in Seoul.

Interesting. I'm surprised they've been involved at all considering how cut off they are from the world in other areas.

The Canadian coach of the South Korean women's hockey team says she has "mixed feelings" about including players from North Korea on her roster.

Sarah Murray, a dual Canadian-American citizen and the daughter of former NHL coach Andy Murray, is concerned about the timing of the decision to ice a unified team.

A deal to combine North and South Korean women's hockey players on one team was reached Wednesday, pending approval from International Olympic Committee.

During their third day of talks in about a week, senior officials also reached an agreement that would see athletes marching together under a "unification flag" depicting their peninsula during the opening ceremony, Seoul's Unification Ministry said.

While Murray acknowledged having the two countries come together at the Olympics is "great for the politics and world relations," she said she would have preferred "this had been done three to four years ago, when we started this journey."

"I have mixed feelings about this combination," she said in an email to The Canadian Press.

Murray was hired to lead the South Korean program in 2014.

If a joint hockey squad is realized, it would be the Koreas' first unified team in an Olympics.

The idea of North Koreans joining their Olympic team was "very sudden," said Murray.

"We heard unofficial rumours about the possibility four to five days ago, but we didn't believe it because it was so close to the start of the Olympics," she said. "However, in the last couple of days, things have gotten much more serious."

The IOC is due to meet with officials from the two Koreas, along with Pyeongchang organizing committee members, on Saturday at its headquarters in Switzerland.

South Korea also wants the IOC to allow the hockey team's 23-player Olympic roster to be expanded so that several North Korean players can be added without removing any of the South Korean players.

According to Yonhap news agency, Murray told reporters on Tuesday that adding players so close to the Games "is a little bit dangerous just for team chemistry because the girls have been together for so long.''

The potential move has garnered the support of South Korea president Moon Jae-in, who said during a meeting with his country's athletes on Wednesday that a joint hockey team would be a historic event that moves the hearts of people around the world.

South Korea's Unification Ministry spokesman Baik Tae-hyun told a regular briefing Wednesday that the government will try to make sure the joint team's formation doesn't cause any negative effects on South Korean players.

"It is the government's basic stance that we will make sure there is no negative impact on our athletes,'' Tae-hyun said.

The South Korean team recently returned to the country after holding a training camp in the United States. Canadians Danelle Im and Caroline Park are on the South Korea roster.

South and North Korea played against each other in the lower tier of the 2017 world championship. The South shut out the North 3-0.

South Korea is in a group with Switzerland, Sweden and Japan at the Olympics and opens preliminary round play on Feb. 10 against the Swiss.

https://www.tsn.ca/s-korea-coach-has-mixed-feelings-on-unified-team-1.970729

Great news. Two countries sharing a peninsula making a very public gesture regarding possible unification. It would be great to see the North adopt a less rigid, more open style of government with no absolute power.

It would also be great to see the US military complex leave the region.

18 minutes ago, Drew.Doughty said:

Sarah Murray, a dual Canadian-American citizen and the daughter of former NHL coach Andy Murray, is concerned about the timing of the decision to ice a unified team.

While Murray acknowledged having the two countries come together at the Olympics is "great for the politics and world relations," she said she would have preferred "this had been done three to four years ago, when we started this journey."

"I have mixed feelings about this combination," she said in an email to The Canadian Press.

The idea of North Koreans joining their Olympic team was "very sudden," said Murray.

"We heard unofficial rumours about the possibility four to five days ago, but we didn't believe it because it was so close to the start of the Olympics," she said. "However, in the last couple of days, things have gotten much more serious."

According to Yonhap news agency, Murray told reporters on Tuesday that adding players so close to the Games "is a little bit dangerous just for team chemistry because the girls have been together for so long.''

I understand the coach's apprehension (her job is to help them win a medal, after all), but it seems a bit like she can't see the forest for the trees here. Team chemistry and knowing how to work together is important, but honestly I'd rather watch a hastily built Korean team representative of hopefully improved national relations than two separate teams.

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If I recall, speed skating yes and I believe they've medaled recently (2 decades of winter games) in one

(1992 speed skating)

But actually did well in Summer olympics with 7 medals in Rio, 2 being gold

wow, didn't know they ever won a medal in winter olympics. summer yes, I know they have sent lifting teams in the past that won medals.

I read an interesting piece this morning about how the '88 Olympics were almost held jointly between Seoul and Pyongyang. Negotiations broke down and the South ended up hosting on their own, leading to (or at least contributing to) the beginning of the the North's isolationist tendencies and it's increasing militarization.

A missed opportunity for sure. Hopefully this one leads to positive change on the Korean peninsula.

21 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

There will at least be some North Koreans on the woman's ice hockey team.

Hopefully this feel good moment doesn't get ruined when they match up against the Canadian women in the preliminaries and get utterly destroyed. 

I guess this is Canada's chance to contribute to peace between North and South Korea by letting them win. 

Imagine if Canada pulls the goalie for the entire 60 minutes and plays with 6 skaters. Do you think the Korean team will ever make it out of their own zone? 

21 minutes ago, Drew.Doughty said:

The Canadian coach of the South Korean women's hockey team says she has "mixed feelings" about including players from North Korea on her roster.

A deal to combine North and South Korean women's hockey players on one team was reached Wednesday, pending approval from International Olympic Committee.

During their third day of talks in about a week, senior officials also reached an agreement that would see athletes marching together under a "unification flag" depicting their peninsula during the opening ceremony, Seoul's Unification Ministry said.

Murray was hired to lead the South Korean program in 2014.

If a joint hockey squad is realized, it would be the Koreas' first unified team in an Olympics.

The IOC is due to meet with officials from the two Koreas, along with Pyeongchang organizing committee members, on Saturday at its headquarters in Switzerland.

South Korea also wants the IOC to allow the hockey team's 23-player Olympic roster to be expanded so that several North Korean players can be added without removing any of the South Korean players.

The potential move has garnered the support of South Korea president Moon Jae-in, who said during a meeting with his country's athletes on Wednesday that a joint hockey team would be a historic event that moves the hearts of people around the world.

South Korea's Unification Ministry spokesman Baik Tae-hyun told a regular briefing Wednesday that the government will try to make sure the joint team's formation doesn't cause any negative effects on South Korean players.

"It is the government's basic stance that we will make sure there is no negative impact on our athletes,'' Tae-hyun said.

The South Korean team recently returned to the country after holding a training camp in the United States. Canadians Danelle Im and Caroline Park are on the South Korea roster.

South and North Korea played against each other in the lower tier of the 2017 world championship. The South shut out the North 3-0.

South Korea is in a group with Switzerland, Sweden and Japan at the Olympics and opens preliminary round play on Feb. 10 against the Swiss.

https://www.tsn.ca/s-korea-coach-has-mixed-feelings-on-unified-team-1.970729

I don't know if the united team is a good idea after reading this article.

The first thing that pops into my head is, considering the roster size of 23 (I guess it is the same for women's hockey as men's), quite a lot of players from each countries that made their respective rosters, will now lose their chance to play in the olympics.

I understand the significance of this but it's kind of too late. like one month before the event commences...?

Archived