The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

#MeToo going to far?

Dral

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

2) Men need to learn how consent works. Forcefulness is not ok, and neither is coercion. Men need to take responsibility for their actions, both past, future and present.

I'm pretty sure the only people who don't know how consent works are 2 years olds. Some people just don't care.

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm so sorry you have experienced what you have. Thank you for sharing. It's stories like yours that are change-makers.

We men need to learn that even what they think is the most innocuous action towards a women is simply wrong and far from harmless and/or funny. 

Going "too far" is part of the process when a society goes through such an eye-opening culture change. This is how we ensure everyone is heard and everyone learns. 

Yeah, I disagree. Those actions are the actions of a very small group of men. They are dogs and the majority of men would never consider making such forceful approaches.  There’s likely far more underlying issues going on with those types of guys that goes way beyond not knowing it is wrong to do. 

I dont think you will ever change those types of people without doing a major dive into their mental state.

I do think you can provide more preventative measure to help reduce occurrences, like how a lot of companies will provide security assistance to walk women to their car. Or in Japan they have a train cars that only women can enter. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah, I disagree. Those actions are the actions of a very small group of men. They are dogs and the majority of men would never consider making such forceful approaches.  There’s likely far more underlying issues going on with those types of guys that goes way beyond not knowing it is wrong to do. 

I dont think you will ever change those types of people without doing a major dive into their mental state.

I do think you can provide more preventative measure to help reduce occurrences, like how a lot of companies will provide security assistance to walk women to their car. Or in Japan they have a train cars that only women can enter. 

When I say we men, it's not meant for men to take offence but rather taking collective responsibility to ensure we are always present to advocate or act when we can for what's right. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

When I say we men, it's not meant for men to take offence but rather taking collective responsibility to ensure we are always present to advocate or act when we can for what's right. 

I understand. I’m just stating that it’s not like the people crossing the line just simply don’t know that what they are doing is wrong. Raise awareness is all good but don’t expect a change in attitude among the perpetrators. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve been the guy being falsely accused of things before.

unless it’s happened to you, you won’t get it. 

At any rate, what’s one more movement?

What will tomorrow’s be?

It certainly won’t be for men. 

I mean this in the best way, but is it possible you weren't falsely accused but rather are unable to fully see where the women was coming from? 

For example, some people believe Ansari is being falsely accused, but he did something wrong: he tried to coerce the women into a situation she didn't want to be in. 

My first thought is 'compared to what'? It wasn't that long ago that our society had the discussion over "no means no". The movement is bringing up a lot of things that we really don't have a good understanding of yet in power relationships, who's responsible for consent, and even what constitutes consent and withdrawal of it (e.g., discussions around non-verbal communications). For a lot of people much of this is new and we don't have a great framework to discuss it in the media or even the courts so this must continue to be an issue that keeps getting discussed and explored. 

But just because people in the movement have different opinions on things (e.g., like if they agree with Atwood or not) it doesn't invalidate the some of the core discussions around abuse, consent and power like many on the conservative side I suspect would like it too. No movement is perfectly in alignment within all its members, and certainly not one this complex and far reaching. It needs to keep going for quite a while I think. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I understand. I’m just stating that it’s not like the people crossing the line just simply don’t know that what they are doing is wrong. Raise awareness is all good but don’t expect a change in attitude among the perpetrators. 

I think lots of men cross the line and don't know it. There's a belief out there that women need to be coerced into sex because they hold all the cards. 

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’ve been the guy being falsely accused of things before.

unless it’s happened to you, you won’t get it. 

At any rate, what’s one more movement?

What will tomorrow’s be?

It certainly won’t be for men. 

Probably one of my largest fears - I'm heading into journalism. One false accusation and my life could be over.

Archived