The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Happy Birthday, Thomas Vanek!

-Vintage Canuck-

Happy Birthday Vanek! 

I think unless we're getting a 1st rounder for him, or maybe a 2nd + 3rd, there's no point trading him. Him and Brock have good chemistry and he was a solid mentor to Brock over the summer and throughout this season. 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

And the winner for the most vague answer of all-time goes to...

I think it's the only answer that can be given to a question like that at this point - at least the only public details.   Really just an indication that the sides are talking.

And I'd doubt Vanek would have a problem with it.  You'd probably hope for the answer that all options will be looked at.

I don't think the answer should be "we're going to trade you" - for a number of reasons. 

Does Vanek want to re-sign here?  Does he want to be rented?

That is one side of the question.  The other half is what's best for the team.

Does the team believe it has a realistic chance this year, back 8 to 11 pts to 5 teams it is chasing.  My guess would be that it's a realistic time to look at trade deadline deals.  But you can also make plans, and then shizz happens (players get injured, etc) so giving an answer to what will happen at the trade deadline isn't necessarily 'honest' (when no one really knows how it will pan out).

I imagine the conversation involved more detail with Vanek himself, but that the public line - ie we're not tipping our hand - is reasonably not as disclosed.

Happy Birthday Vanny!

I wonder if they'll get Boeser to jump out of a cake lol

I agree that Boeser and Vanek have really good chemistry, but Boeser seems to build chemistry with whomever he plays with. Keep them together for the rest of the year and hope Vanek continues to rack up the points. Then trade him for a late1st/high 2nd, or a good D prospect. 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think it's the only answer that can be given to a question like that at this point - at least the only public details.   Really just an indication that the sides are talking.

And I'd doubt Vanek would have a problem with it.  You'd probably hope for the answer that all options will be looked at.

I don't think the answer should be "we're going to trade you" - for a number of reasons. 

Does the team believe it has a realistic chance this year, back 8 to 11 pts to 5 teams it is chasing.  My guess would be that it's a realistic time to look at trade deadline deals.  But you can also make plans, and then shizz happens (players get injured, etc) so giving an answer to what will happen at the trade deadline isn't necessarily 'honest' (when no one really knows how it will pan out).

I imagine the conversation involved more detail with Vanek himself, but that the public line - ie we're not tipping our hand - is reasonably not as disclosed.

Indeed, I agree, any sort of public information like that shouldn't be out for all to know. It wasn't a complaint so much as it was a generic comment, really.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

If the local radio muppets are to be believed, Vanek's goal is to "win a cup", thus he likely expects to be a rental.  They also (speculated) that he would be open to coming back.  Couple things in the negative though -- one is his record as a past rental, and the other what we might lose in his mentorship not only for Brock but other kids like Gaudette who are likely to come in post-TDL. Regardless, unless we can't get at least a 3rd I think he's moved and hopefully one or two more as well.

4 hours ago, logic said:

As much as I love what Vanek has done for Boeser if Vanek has no intentions to resign then may as well acquire assets for him

He wants to stay but he is 34 and that is probably his last opportunity to get a multi-year deal.   Do the Canucks want to give him say 3 years? 

34 minutes ago, mll said:

He wants to stay but he is 34 and that is probably his last opportunity to get a multi-year deal.   Do the Canucks want to give him say 3 years? 

If the Sedins don't resign and we move Gagner at 2019 TDL

Archived