The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks - Penguins

Pittsburgh is always tight against the salary cap, but with their core still in place they need to make a push every year.  I think the Canucks can be a good fit by adding two pieces to their roster, while also taking a contract off the books for next year.

To Vancouver: Carl Hagelin, Ian Cole, Pittsburgh 2018 1st round pick, 2018 4th round pick
To Pittsburgh: Thomas Vanek, Erik Gudbranson

Cap Hit: Pittsburgh acquires 5.5 Million, Vancouver 6.1 Million

Then try to trade Ian Cole for any asset at the deadline.

Why for Vancouver?

The Canucks package Vanek and Gudbranson together to get a higher pick then either would get separately.  Right now Pittsburgh's pick is in the middle of the first round (currently #17), although clearly that could drop. It's a bit of a gamble but for two pending non-star free agents, getting a potential mid first round pick is definitely worth it.  I value both Vanek and Gudbranson as mid-second round pick value players.  So this package allows us to get one higher end pick than if we traded them separately.  The fourth round pick is a nice addition.  We then sell of Cole or let the contract expire, and have Hagelin's contract for an extra year.  Maybe we sell him at the next deadline.  He's a decent player for the season we have him.

Why for Pittsburgh?
This trade gives them three things.  A talented scoring winger, a tough right shot d-man, and cap flexibility after this season by getting rid of Hagelin's contract while only acquiring pending UFA's.  Vanek reminds me a lot of a poor man's Kessel when Pittsburgh acquired him.  A defensive liability but a great scorer, and perfect to pair with Crosby or Malkin.  He'd likely go alongside Crosby and be scary there.  Gudbranson adds toughness and depth to the Pens, a key piece if you want to be a playoff team.  They also free up 4 million in cap space for next year by trading Hagelin.  He's a fine player, but not for that price.  They can then use this money to keep Gudbranson or sign someone else.

Thoughts?

Even considering the cap-dump we'd be shafting them.  At one point in time, Pitt will have to realize they need, just like us, to build a future core eventually and you don't do that with 'rentals' or by trading first rounders.  Yes, they have a competitive core in place right now but they are aging. 

So no, Pitt would be foolish to do this.

Us on the other hand - if Rutherford was willing to I'd say take it. 

I'd say this is pretty solid. Might have to tweak(one way, or the other) according to valuation..but these are the kinds of used bargain bins we have to rummage thru.

A target including a 1st is a necessity.

edit: Incidentally I sent this to Matt Murray, & he said the hallucinatory author is "just hilarious"!

This is an interesting deal. Pitts can probably trade Cole to a different team for a pick instead of us taking him on.

I could maybe see them interested in Guddy. Vanek I am not sure about, it seems like they have been wanting to add C depth all year even after the Sheahan trade. 

I suppose we could take Hagelin back, too bad Gagner has 2 years left on his deal, if he had 1 year I would say just swap those 2 players basically.

Be interesting to see what Rutherford does leading up to the TDL

Not a bad deal, if the Pens were not willing to part with their first rounder i wonder if they would consider trading Goalie Filip Gustavsson.

I watched every WJC Sweden game and Gustavsson was lightsout the whole turney, be sweet to add him, you can never have too many good goalie prospects!

1 minute ago, MJDDawg said:

Because after winning consecutive Cups with their speed, they decided to switch it up to get slower?

The Laughs basically gave those two Cups to the Pens with the Kessel deal.  Pens get Kessel, like their missing piece to winning, and the Laughs even pay some of Kessel’s salary too.  Crazy. 

12 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Because after winning consecutive Cups with their speed, they decided to switch it up to get slower?

While you’re right it does make them slower but they are upgrades and gives them some cap flexibility for next year. The Pens are cup contenders every year with Crosby and Malkin every year they should be adding at the deadline to get that final piece and beat the cap.

52 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Laughs basically gave those two Cups to the Pens with the Kessel deal.  Pens get Kessel, like their missing piece to winning, and the Laughs even pay some of Kessel’s salary too.  Crazy. 

Kessel would have lined up beautifully with one Auston Matthews... 

Marner on the PP too. That's a lot of creativity.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sutters also a 2.3 cap hit higher, with 3 years remaining after this year.  Penguins are a cashed strapped team looking for a shutdown center to help them in a playoff run.  

thats true... but I'm not so sure that they'd be opposed to a longer term solution. Sutter has evolved a lot as a player since they traded him, and I think would be a great longer term fit there given the other contracts that they have. We'd have to take a contract back (Sheary?) but he would solve a lot of their issues. Next year they have to go looking for a 3C if they get a rental. 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats true... but I'm not so sure that they'd be opposed to a longer term solution. Sutter has evolved a lot as a player since they traded him, and I think would be a great longer term fit there given the other contracts that they have. We'd have to take a contract back (Sheary?) but he would solve a lot of their issues. Next year they have to go looking for a 3C if they get a rental. 

I'd think the Penguins would definitely prefer sutter, he's a far better player but under the circumstance that team is in they need to be cap cautious and taking on a contract that comes off the books next year bring more value to them.  

I originally thought about making this post about Sutter, rather than Vanek and Gudbranson, cause I know they want a centerman but I figured Sutter's contract was too large for a team close to the cap, and they also could use a scoring winger rental and a d man rental.

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd think the Penguins would definitely prefer sutter, he's a far better player but under the circumstance that team is in they need to be cap cautious and taking on a contract that comes off the books next year bring more value to them.  

yup. The cap is going up too though. Given how good Sutter has become as a shutdown guy though I don't think his contract would be seen as the 'overpayment' a lot of people see him as here.

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

like Sutter? 

Imo i would like to keep Sutter until next year. He is an effective player and we play better with him in the lineup. Overpayed?? Yes! But hes a great penalty killer and at the start of the year was a part of our best line. Im not sure why everybody wants to sell off every single piece on the team, not named Horvat and Boeser. 

Archived