The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TDL Questions/Thoughts (discussion)

We often talk about who we could trade at this TDL, and who we just can't

The list is truly short, when you get right down to it............

Edler........................NTC............if we are to move him, it will be this year, giving the trading team 2 kicks of the cup with Alex................................30% he waves

Gudbranson.............UFA............says he wants a big contract..............I don't think he has melded with the team as expected..........he is gone......100% he's traded

Vanek.......................UFA............he gets us a late 2nd.................................................................................................................................................60% he's traded

Baertschi..................RFA............no real replacement for him, but if Benning wants an upgrade, he will go after Evander Kane in the Summer........40/60 he's traded

Dowd........................RFA............good for faceoffs, and the return might not be much,. Does he go?.................if some one calls yes.......................20% he's traded

These are my possibilities............................but it is not that simple

I would be surprised if it was anyone else,,,,,,,,,,,,,here are my thoughts along side the players

Thing is Benning has to clear some spots for advancement for our prospects......................................or does he just keep everyone down on the farm?

What are your thoughts?

With the comment coming from Sedins agent saying that he wants to talk to Benning, before the TDL, I wonder if there is a chance, most likely tiny, that they waive to go for a cup? Teams that could absorb that cap hit and be competitive with them are the Winnipeg Jets, San Jose Sharks and New Jersey Devils.

Don't get me wrong its hard to imagine them actually getting traded but it would be huge for the future of this club.

Wouldn't count out the idea of Tanev or Hutton also getting traded depending on the price.

If Edler waives his ntc the Canucks probably need to sign Guddy or trade/sign a passable top 4 D. Baertschi is rfa this year so if the asking price is too high maybe he gets moved if the offer is too good to pass up.

If the Sedins waive then it could be anything goes at the tdl short of moving Brock or Bo.

It truly is a weird, magical, special time of the season...where it truly can be both a buyer's market AND a seller's...and sometimes on the same player! Look at Guddy, a team that feels he could be a decent foundational piece going forward but doesn't want to risk too much might only be willing to toss us a third (we of course would reject that but it's where that team would value him)...but some team who just had a top 4 D-man go down and is slated to make a decent run in the playoffs might be willing to give us a prospect, a high pick and a middle pick...so the value of course will really depend on who's buying, how many players are available at that position, cap space of the buyer etc etc etc. Tricky times indeed. As for our own players to move I think I would rank it like this:

Edler - 0% chance he waives for ANYTHING other than a top contender and even then I'd only give it a 50/50 shot that he'd waive and we'd actually be able to put together a fair compensation package coming back...due to his anchor-type contract I think teams would try and penalize us for passing it on to them...(which is fair) SUMMARY: He stays

Gudbranson - Was brought here at great cost by the current administration...it will cost us big on July 1st to keep him, but unless an equal or better Dman with a longer term low dollar contract is coming back the other way, what would be the point? And really, who's gonna part with a low dollar, long term contract Dman in exchange for a pending UFA? He's gonna be almost impossible to move because...heck, why do we want to even try?

Vanek - 100% he's gone...to a contender (my $$ are on Pittsburgh)...2nd coming back our way

Baertschi - reclamation project who would be going on his 3rd team? Nah, he's stuck here, it's Vancouver or Europe for him. 0% chance he's moved even if we do try and sign hometown clown Evander.

Dowd - who cares.

Gagner - I'm actually gonna give him a 75% chance he's moved. He was a freebie signing so even if we got a 7th (he'll more likely get us a 3rd) it's more than we had before.

Hutton - 100% he's traded, but not at TDL...not even at draft, not in summer...not until Juolevi makes it through the summer without incident. If Olli is healthy for training camp it's bye bye Benny.

Wiercioch - 100% traded...again to a contender and strictly for insurance...he'll get us a 4th or 5th.

Megna / Chaput - see Dowd...

So summing up: Vanek and Wiercioch are gone. Gagner probably gone. Hutton gone before next September. That's about it I think...sadly...

Not sure what your getting at here?

If I were Granlund or MDZ I might pack an extra pair of boxers. Also with the market for Gud looking  piss poor I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around until FA then see what happens. If there are no offers worth taking in trade for him at the deadline I highly doubt teams will be clamoring to pay him 5m+ in the offseason. I wouldn't be opposed to him coming back for 3x4m just long enough he would still be in his prime when his contract is up if he's worth more he will still be able to negotiate that big payday. Remember how Chicago parked Buff, infront of our net. And picked apart a very good Canucks team. Gud is one of the few men who can move some of the big guys in our conf from infront of the net. Our D corps Tanev Edler Juolevi Stetcher Hutton Pouliot will get turnstiled in the playoffs. 

The fact that MDZ has been playing a role far above his paygrade on a terribly depleted Canucks team (haven't checked but I would bet he has the most total mins played this year of any Canucks D) might interest a GM looking for playoff depth enough to throw a 2nd/3rd at us. A more than fair price considering all he cost was a contract in the spring.  

Granlund is a very cheep versatile all around up n down the depth chart guy who likely gets pushed out of a spot next year with Loui, Bae, Virtanen, Gaudette, Elias, Dahlen, Gadjovich,  Gaunce  able to more than fill his shoes. I could see a team cap crunched ponying up decent Pic/pros for Granny at the DL.

I think the Sedins resign

Vanek stays to mentor Boeser

Guddy gets a 4 year 4.5 mil contract with a modified NTC contract

Sutter gets traded in a back room request, Nucks retain salary

Nillison/Marstrom gets moved for a 3rd round pick.

Management ponders a trade until the other team decides to go a different way.

Linden and Benning state how hard it is to do a trade, so they are not going to trade away the future because no other team want the players on the current roster.

Trade.

Disaster day.

by a

Lame duck GM.:lol::lol::lol:

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I think the Sedins resign

Vanek stays to mentor Boeser

Guddy gets a 4 year 4.5 mil contract with a modified NTC contract

Sutter gets traded in a back room request, Nucks retain salary

Nillison/Marstrom gets moved for a 3rd round pick.

Management ponders a trade until the other team decides to go a different way.

Linden and Benning state how hard it is to do a trade, so they are not going to trade away the future because no other team want the players on the current roster.

Trade.

Disaster day.

by a

Lame duck GM.:lol::lol::lol:

Well aren't you an eternal ray of sunshine :lol:

One thing I think holds true is actually having a group of picks all maturing and coming to the club within a short period of time............meaning over a 4 or 5 year period

Not all will be first line players, but all contribute within their own abilities........this means, forcheckers, elites, powerforwards, goaltenders, bodycheckers etc.......

This is where moving veterans and good drafting, and drafting percentages all come together...............to either build a team or have it circulate in the big toilet bowl as Edmonton did for so long.......................

Our group of prospects look like this........

2018 Draft....................1st, 2nd, 3rd

2017 Draft....................Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, and DiPietro

2016 Draft....................Joulevi, Dahlen, Lockwood

2015 Draft....................Boeser, Brisebois, and Gaudette

2014 Draft....................Virtanen, Demko, Tryamkin and (Goldobin via Trade)

2013 Draft....................Horvat

2012 Draft....................Gaunce, and Hutton

My belief, if that our turn around will start at the 2013 draft for 6 years...........so when the youngest 2018 are maturing at 22 years of age, Horvat will be 28 years of age

So, this year is an important draft year, and should be one we focus on, more than any others

My opinion is that the Baertschi's (25), Gudbranson's (26) Sutter (28),Tanev (28) will all be getting very close to calling it a career and even Derrick Pouliot (24), Granlund (24)Stecher (23) will not be a major contributors of that core...................

This should put a certain reality to the situation, and should show us where our players of trade should come from (Highlited players)

If there is any chance of Trading the Sedin's(37's), Eriksson(32), Edler (31), Vanek(34), MDZ(27), Markstrom(27) or Nilsson(27), well that should just be a no brainer! And considered Gravy!

I don't think anyone in their right mind, says Trade them all....................but! Moving anyone of the older of mid range group, to secure an additional 2018 1st or 2nd should be a mandatory must, as this is where are Stanley Cup contenders will come from.

And although, I am not an advocator of signing UFA's, young first year UFA ers are where we should focus to replace any,traded assets, keeping in mind, thata small over payment would be more important, than a longer term................

Example: July 1st of 2018...............after trading Baertschi (25) + at the TDL.....................for "young asset" (2018 1st or 2nd round pick)

.................Signing Evander Kane(26) for a mid term contract with NO ntc

.................For Instance......"IF" Evander Kane wants 7,000,000 over 5 years

.................Give him ...........$8,000,000 over 4 years, keeping in mind he will only be 30 when the contract expires

.................Also keeping it in mind that he could be moved during his last year as well......even at 50%, if desired

This is only an example, but if we are paying Daniel $7,000, 000 for this year, then Kane at 27 years of age for $8,000,000 isn't that out of line, keeping in mind that the Sedin's collectively have 13 goals, where Kane has 16 goals at this point in the season.

Another Rambling post, but you get the picture! Sorry! :wacko:

Archived