The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] New York Islanders

Trade 1

NYI will be pushing for a playoff spot this season in order to convince Tavares to sign. Therefore

NYI gets____Tanev+Baertschi

Canucks get _____Bellows+Calgarys 1st round pick+ 4th

We get a very good prospect and a mid to low first round pick which can be used on another defensemen. 

Islanders become very competitive for a playoff spot and significantly increase there chances of resigning Tavares.

Trade 2

Florida gets  Gudbranson

Canucks get   Petrovich+2nd

Florida loves Guddy and saw him play very well there. Petrovich brings us a RD defensemen to replace Guddy and a high second round pick. If Florida would rather wait until seasons end and try to sign him as UFA then ship him to another team for a similar deal like New Jersey or Boston.

Trade 3

Dallas gets   Hutton+Vanek

Canucks get   Honka+3rd

Dallas doesn't seem high on Honka and replace him with Hutton and a vet winger for a playoff push.

To finish out the year are lines could be

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Eriksson

Virtanen-Sutter-Granlund

Dowd-Gagner-Gaunce

Edler-Stetcher

Del Zotto-Petrovich

Honka-Biega

Pouliot-Holm

Not great lines but considering we are going to be at the bottom of the league anyways it doesn't matter. Play the kids, callup deserving guys from Utica and play Gaudette etc when their season are over.

We would go into the draft with 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and one pick in each round after.

What do you think, are my values to far off?

Trade 1: I know Bellows was red hot this past WJC, but I'm not a fan of spending the assets necessary to acquire him. I don't think his game will translate that well. I'd rather send them Tanev for a 1st and the best young player they're willing to include, preferably Pulock and keep Baertschi.

Trade 2 and 3 aren't very good in terms of value. 

Trade 1: Think we could get more from Islanders. That's a top 6 forward + a RHD top 4 solid Dman. Should bring back more than just a prospect not NHL ready and a 1st round pick that could be late in the round. Good idea for a trade partner though. 

Trade 2: Doesn't make sense for Florida if they are not contending. Gudbranson is certainly not helping his trade value with the season he is having. Seems like a lot for him.

Trade 3: Don't think Dallas accepts. Dallas blueline is their only weak spot, and Honka is still their most promising and NHL ready D prospect.

1 hour ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Don't think Dallas accepts. Dallas blueline is their only weak spot, and Honka is still their most promising and NHL ready D prospect.

May not help them this regular season, but I'm pretty sure Heskainen leapfrogged Honka in the pre-season? And almost made the team out of camp. Could be called up for the post season once he is done in Finland?

Then there is the fairly glowing issue that Hitchcock just does not like to use Honka.  His development curve, once on a trajectory straight up, grinded to a halt when Hitch arrived. And I believe Honka requires next season. So will have to beat Heskainen for a spot. Further, with S Johns a RHD & as much puck skill as they hold, I doubt they will run with the mighty mouse right side of Heskainen, Klingburg & Honka.    

They should trade Honka now, before they get a Pouliot calibre return next September!

I mostly agree with Blue Jay.

For trade 1, it really depends on Bellows development.  With Tanev being a top 2 defenseman, he'd have to become a top player for us to break even.  I'd rather go fro Pulock or their other first rounder.  Essentially equal value of picks to what the Islanders got from Calgary for Hamonic.

Trade 2 doesn't make sense since Florida isn't good this year.  I think we can get a second round pick elsewhere.

Trade 3 I actually quite like.  Dallas gets a rental scoring winger and a young defenseman who can play now.  We take a shot on Honka developing into the player he was projected to be but hasn't become yet.  All depends on how Dallas evaluates him.  I'd take the chance personally.

I would try and get Honka. He is 22, most D in the upcoming draft except for Dahlin are going to need some seasoning. Worth trying him out and see what he can do.

What I wonder though is, would Honka be much of an upgrade to Stecher? 

I like the idea of trying to get Ritchie from Dallas in a deal

I am interested in Honka. 22 years old, in and out of their lineup. Not completely dissimilar to Pouliot although a year or two age difference. Might be able to get him cheap, not Pedan and a 4th cheap but somewhere around Baertschi cheap in terms of value. Might be able to dangle Goldy for him. Vanek and a 3rd. 

13 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I am interested in Honka. 22 years old, in and out of their lineup. Not completely dissimilar to Pouliot although a year or two age difference. Might be able to get him cheap, not Pedan and a 4th cheap but somewhere around Baertschi cheap in terms of value. Might be able to dangle Goldy for him. Vanek and a 3rd. 

Baer has much more value.

Honka would likely be a swap for Goldobin. Similar age, both havent quite shown they are ready for regular NHL duties.

If we can send them Vanek though that would be a nice add. Maybe they want Guddy if we dont extend him as he would fill Honka's role. Guddy is a defensive D, Hitch plays that kind of style. I guess they have Johns for that role also though

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Honka would likely be a swap for Goldobin. Similar age, both havent quite shown they are ready for regular NHL duties.

If we can send them Vanek though that would be a nice add. Maybe they want Guddy if we dont extend him as he would fill Honka's role. Guddy is a defensive D, Hitch plays that kind of style. I guess they have Johns for that role also though

I meant Baertschi value in terms of what we spent to get him at the time. He was 22 I think when we traded for him. He was only worth a second. Same thing here with Honka, he might only net you a 2nd and a small plus being a d-man.

11 hours ago, Yotes said:

Where do I sign? 

23 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Trade 1

NYI will be pushing for a playoff spot this season in order to convince Tavares to sign. Therefore

NYI gets____Tanev+Baertschi

Canucks get _____Bellows+Calgarys 1st round pick+ 4th

We get a very good prospect and a mid to low first round pick which can be used on another defensemen. 

Islanders become very competitive for a playoff spot and significantly increase there chances of resigning Tavares.

Trade 2

Florida gets  Gudbranson

Canucks get   Petrovich+2nd

Florida loves Guddy and saw him play very well there. Petrovich brings us a RD defensemen to replace Guddy and a high second round pick. If Florida would rather wait until seasons end and try to sign him as UFA then ship him to another team for a similar deal like New Jersey or Boston.

Trade 3

Dallas gets   Hutton+Vanek

Canucks get   Honka+3rd

Dallas doesn't seem high on Honka and replace him with Hutton and a vet winger for a playoff push.

To finish out the year are lines could be

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Eriksson

Virtanen-Sutter-Granlund

Dowd-Gagner-Gaunce

Edler-Stetcher

Del Zotto-Petrovich

Honka-Biega

Pouliot-Holm

Not great lines but considering we are going to be at the bottom of the league anyways it doesn't matter. Play the kids, callup deserving guys from Utica and play Gaudette etc when their season are over.

We would go into the draft with 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and one pick in each round after.

What do you think, are my values to far off?

Well thought out and Vancouver would be lucky to get any of these trades, I would go hard on a trade to acquire Honka.  

Archived