The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Going after one of the Norris Calibre Dmen this off season

If you were Benning and have the salary space that we may have after re-signing the Sedins to matching 1 year deals at quite a break, do you take a run at Doughty or Karlsson and offer them their likely 10 mil to 12 mil per? They are both in their late 20s and likely have a good 5 years plus left each. 5 years at 12 mil, would that work?

5 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

If you were Benning and have the salary space that we may have after re-signing the Sedins to matching 1 year deals at quite a break, do you take a run at Doughty or Karlsson and offer them their likely 10 mil to 12 mil per? They are both in their late 20s and likely have a good 5 years plus left each. 5 years at 12 mil, would that work?

keep in mind we also soon have to resign brock (around 8 mill. for 6 to 8 years) 

No, signing a Karlsson/Doughty would just end up in another Luongo situation where you get a couple great years out of them and are left with an 'untradeable' contract. 

Neither of those two guys will be elite in the last part of whatever contract they sign but will be getting compensated as elite and will undoubtedly have both full NTC. 

Just stay the course - get our PMD through the draft. 

Between the 2, I'd take a run at Doughty first, but I don't think either of them would even consider Vancouver as a viable option.

Maybe if we go after both, and they're communicating and discuss the possibility of both playing together here we might have a shot. However, with the Sedins wanting to come back for another year, their cap hit would get in the way of doing that (I'm not sure we would have enough cap even if we don't re-sign the twins).

In conclusion, no I do not see us being in the running for either of those Dmen for many reasons - cap, rebuild, fishbowl, taxes etc.

I'd rather go after Washington's Carlson. They won't be able to afford the raise he'll be looking for and it's been reported that they're not in a position to trade him with the Capitols window still being open this season. I'd imagine he'd be looking for something in the 7-8 million range. Expensive for sure but it wouldn't hamstring the cap in the same way Doughty or Karlsson would.

I would go after doughty for sure if we dont draft dahlin, give max $, max term, a player like that can make u a contender sometimes. gives us time for our prospects to mature, look whats happening with the oilers wihtout a strong back end, we will have to trim some cap

Tkachuk Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin E. Kane

Granlund Petterson Ericksson

Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

Goldy

gangner - dump some how

Edler Doughty

Hutton Tanev

MDZ Stetcher

Juolevi

Guddy - let him go

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I would go after doughty for sure if we dont draft dahlin, give max $, max term, a player like that can make u a contender sometimes. gives us time for our prospects to mature, look whats happening with the oilers wihtout a strong back end, we will have to trim some cap

Tkachuk Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin E. Kane

Granlund Petterson Ericksson

Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

Goldy

gangner - dump some how

Edler Doughty

Hutton Tanev

MDZ Stetcher

Juolevi

Guddy - let him go

I doubt Brady Tkachuk would be an instant first line winger

Where do we have the cap to sign Evander Kane and Doughty? Doughty will be 12-15 mil and Evander will be 7-7.7 mil

No wave Juolevi will be the 7th defensemen. That's bad development 

And doubt Petterson is ready to be in the NHL. still too small. And he'd be introduced to the wing first as it's easier to play than center. 

Signing ufas has worked out so well and helped so much. Miller has been the only ufa signed that  earned his pay check for the duration of his contract. 

vaneks Ok most games.last thing this club needs is yet another unmovable contract like Louie’s. 

Approx 90 mill committed to ufas in 4 seasons has helped this club finish near the bottom in what will be 3 out 4 times.pretty sure we could achieve that level of “competitiveness”  a lot cheaper. Can’t see anything changing in the next year or two.

One good D man isn’t making Ottawa better LA currently outside as well.

As others have said develop from within

shed the old skin. 

Just reading that the Nucks might re-sign Guddy.

The Nucks should try to sign both Doughty and Karlsson. Those two play half a game and then the team only needs 2 more, say Groot and Dahlin;), Karlsson could be the "mentor" for Dahlin.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

Just stay the course - get our PMD through the draft. 

The team has been trying for 40+ years.

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Signing ufas has worked out so well and helped so much. Miller has been the only ufa signed that  earned his pay check for the duration of his contract. 

vaneks Ok most games.last thing this club needs is yet another unmovable contract like Louie’s. 

Approx 90 mill committed to ufas in 4 seasons has helped this club finish near the bottom in what will be 3 out 4 times.pretty sure we could achieve that level of “competitiveness”  a lot cheaper. Can’t see anything changing in the next year or two.

One good D man isn’t making Ottawa better LA currently outside as well.

As others have said develop from within

shed the old skin. 

Well Put CO

I makes me laugh somewhat, when not crying, that there are people here that think that trading a couple of players is tanking

Then when you actually look at the UFA signings and look at our current position, adding hasn't really help either

Maybe we should  just let ourselves fall to our natural position, and rebuild properly..........

Would Doughty or Karlsson help....of course! But 11-12 million commitment will look massive, when trying to resign our young guns in a couple of years

When looking at Stanley Cup contenders...,they have a strong #1 goalie, with a solid back up, at least one all-star defenseman, with a big/strong supporting cast, and 3 strong lines with size and speed

We are no where that.............no where near ready

Build through the draft........pay the piper, and have some patience

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Build through the draft........pay the piper, and have some patience

We are no where that.............no where near ready

One word for that strategy .....Vegas.

There are players out there already.

Trading prospects that cant make the team in 3 years or draft picks that don't play for middle 6 players.

Six years atleast, the team still needs a #1 center.

We absolutely need such a defenseman, but we don't technically need him right now.  Besides that, the cost of either would be astronomical, and I'm not talking about their salary which would be as well.

What I would rather see is Benning go after a can't miss (as can't-miss as possible anyway) young player from another team asap. We can develop him over the next couple of years, then he will be ready when the rest of the team is to make a run. The cost to the cap would be a fraction of what it would be for a guy like Doughty or Karlsson, and as such it wouldn't handcuff quite so badly.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

You realize that neither of them will be UFA this offseason.  They’re both signed through next season.  The earliest anyone could take a run at them (outside trading for them) is the 2019 offseason 

i was going to point this out as well

why bother making a post based on incorrect facts and assumptions

it looks pretty unintelligent and a waste of a read

Archived