The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Going after one of the Norris Calibre Dmen this off season

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

I would go after doughty for sure if we dont draft dahlin, give max $, max term, a player like that can make u a contender sometimes. gives us time for our prospects to mature, look whats happening with the oilers wihtout a strong back end, we will have to trim some cap

Tkachuk Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin E. Kane

Granlund Petterson Ericksson

Gaunce Sutter Virtanen

Goldy

gangner - dump some how

Edler Doughty

Hutton Tanev

MDZ Stetcher

Juolevi

Guddy - let him go

I really like the Tkachuk pick but no thanks to E. kane

Rather develop our young guys and spend money on them...

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Discussion] Going after one of the Norris Calibre Dmen this off season
3 hours ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

If you were Benning and have the salary space that we may have after re-signing the Sedins to matching 1 year deals at quite a break, do you take a run at Doughty or Karlsson and offer them their likely 10 mil to 12 mil per? They are both in their late 20s and likely have a good 5 years plus left each. 5 years at 12 mil, would that work?

I might save a couple mill and target OEL out of the three but all these guys are not UFAs this coming offseason. All of these guys are signed for next year as well. If you’re gonna throw money at a guy this year John Carlson from the Capitals is the top UFA dman I believe.

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

might save a couple mill and target OEL out of the three but all these guys are not UFAs this coming offseason. All of these guys are signed for next year as well. If you’re gonna throw money at a guy this year John Carlson from the Capitals is the top UFA dman I believe.

John Carlson - Eliteprospects.com

I wonder if hist stats are a bit inflated by playing with Ovie, although he would compliment  Boeser well. At this point in the rebuild I think some 23-26 year old D with upside would fit better even if they are mid tier.

6 minutes ago, gregthehockeynut said:

John Carlson - Eliteprospects.com

I wonder if hist stats are a bit inflated by playing with Ovie, although he would compliment  Boeser well. At this point in the rebuild I think some 23-26 year old D with upside would fit better even if they are mid tier.

I’m sure his stats are inflated a little bit being on a high scoring Washington team but Carlson is more an elite 2way dman then he is an offensive dman.

Depends if it fits the team's timeline.  The team looks like it could be entering a new era with building blocks Bo, Brock, Sven leading the way up front (Pettersson, Lind, Gadjovich, etc. coming up the ranks) and Demko joining the ranks in a year or two.  Then there's Juolevi coming in, and after that I'd be surprised if there weren't trade chips to work with.  Maybe some of those could be packaged for an emerging young mid-tier D-man with top-tier potential?  

Then again, if the team's competitive in the second half of the season I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to speed up the process with a big-name D-man to lead the way.

If I was JB I would be making very serious attempts at securing John Carlson as a UFA in 2018.

In addition, I would do everything in my power to lure Tryamkin back to the NHL.

These are the moves that can dramatically change our team. Within a year our D corps could be:

Tryamkin Carlson

Juolevi Tanev

Pouliot Stecher

Carlson would be far cheaper to get a deal done with vs the 2 Norris winner the following year.

Carlson could be a steady 40-50pt D man we surely could use. If you can get him signed for under 7m that is a good deal, not sure if that will happen though.

As for the Virtanen for Faulk that got posted. faulk would be a good addition but going to cost a heck of a lot more than a very inconsistance under performing recent top draft pick

Archived