The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dreaming of the next few years...

Bandwagon38

Dreaming of the future  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every year as we realize that the playoffs are going to have to be a dream for another season I start to pay close attention to the prospects in the system. This year the prospect watching began early because this is the greatest group of prospects the Canucks have ever had!   The excitement is growing as our kids lead in several categories in different top leagues around the world.  Not to mention the potential of one big Russian that returning to our team one day to lead us to the promised land...

I don't really like the poll selections.

I'm excited for what this team will be in a couple of years overall.  We have so many players coming down the pipe with talent that we really will be a skilled, exciting team very soon. Pettersson is likely to turn out like we all hope and expect, a couple of our guys like maybe Lind and Dahlen should end up top six players, and then we have a few players who should be excellent bottom 6 players or maybe better as well like Gadjovich and Gaudette.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about Demko, and if he turns out like we hope then we really only have the defense to fix and if that's the only real focus needed now I'm pretty sure Benning can work some magic there over the next couple of years.

Considering where this team was only a few years ago to where we are going to be soon, it's a huge difference. This rebuild is/was far shorter than most and while the last 3 years have been challenging as a fan it's all up from here.  Good times ahead.

I would've selected "all of the above" except I have no interest in the Oilers forums. Lots to be excited about with the prospects, but these days it's all about: will the Sedins, Gudbranson, Vanek and Benning re-sign?

I think the Canucks are still 3-5 years away from being a real good team again - until the prospects develop and become good NHL players.

11 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

Every year as we realize that the playoffs are going to have to be a dream for another season I start to pay close attention to the prospects in the system. This year the prospect watching began early because this is the greatest group of prospects the Canucks have ever had!   The excitement is growing as our kids lead in several categories in different top leagues around the world.  Not to mention the potential of one big Russian that returning to our team one day to lead us to the promised land...

It's a great time for sure and we have a reason to be excited but at the same time let's manage our expectations just a little. 

Many of the prospects haven't made the jump to the NHL just yet. 

Listening to scouting "experts" saying just about all the Canuck prospects will need another 2 years in the "minors" before they should be brought up. Where they are getting this idea when so many young players are in the league now, I mean, players these kids play with now are getting in 2 or 3 years earlier.

Lind, Gadovitch, Petersson, Dahlen, OJ, all may need another 2 years and some of the others another year.

This kind of info, at this time, could be an intro to the Sedins re-signing.

Of course 2020 is the year that there might be labour trouble too. So 2 years seems to fit in so many ways.

On 24/01/2018 at 10:14 PM, Bandwagon38 said:

this is the greatest group of prospects the Canucks have ever had! 

I've posted this a couple times already, but seeing as people are still (erroneously) claiming that our current prospect-roster is the best we've ever had, I guess it's worth posting again...

These players were all drafted all within 726 days of each other by GM Jake Milford (for comparison, Jim Benning has been in charge for 1,345 days now):

Rick Vaive 788pts
Stan Smyl 673
Doug Lidster (D) 343
Brent Ashton 629
Patrik Sundstrom 588
Dirk Graham 489
Curt Fraser 433
Bill Derlago 416
Rick Lanz 286
Marc Crawford 50
Plus half-a-dozen more NHL players on top of that!

That's a total of nearly 5,000 career points - all drafted within a 24 month period!  Our current prospects can't even hold a candle to Milford's haul.  If you add up every player Benning has drafted, you come up with 5 NHL players and a total of 138 points so far.

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I've posted this a couple times already, but seeing as people are still (erroneously) claiming that our current prospect-roster is the best we've ever had, I guess it's worth posting again...

These players were all drafted all within 726 days of each other by GM Jake Milford (for comparison, Jim Benning has been in charge for 1,345 days now):

Rick Vaive 788pts
Stan Smyl 673
Doug Lidster (D) 343
Brent Ashton 629
Patrik Sundstrom 588
Dirk Graham 489
Curt Fraser 433
Bill Derlago 416
Rick Lanz 286
Marc Crawford 50

That's a total of nearly 5,000 career points - all drafted within a 24 month period!  Our current prospects can't even hold a candle to Milford's haul.  If you add up every player Benning has drafted, you come up with 5 NHL players and a total of 138 points so far.

As a long time fan I appreciate all the players you have listed (Smyl and Fraser were my 2 favs as a kid) but realistically it is underwhelming and the numbers are from a different era.

Do you honestly think Vaive and Smyl would match up well head to head with Horvat and Boeser over a 10 year period? Yeah the kids have a lot to prove but as much as I loved cheering on # 12 Brock and Bo look to be much more highly skilled.

Lastly, most posters are being optimistic and that is a rare thing for a Canucks supporter.

This is probably the first time ever the Canucks have been in the top of the league for prospect depth. I don’t think there’s any team’s prospects I’d full on swap.

Pettersson

Gaudette

Juolevi

Demko

Dahlen

Lind

Gadjovich

Dipietro

Goldobin

the list keeps going

not to mention another potential top 5 pick this year and hopefully 4 picks in the first 2 rounds if Benning has a good trade deadline.

8 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Rick Vaive 788pts
Stan Smyl 673
Doug Lidster (D) 343
Brent Ashton 629
Patrik Sundstrom 588
Dirk Graham 489
Curt Fraser 433
Bill Derlago 416
Rick Lanz 286
Marc Crawford 50

A bit early to compare that list to our emerging talents...

Which crystal ball do you use to see how our talent may fare or what their points totals will be 25 years from now?

Why is it so hard to be happy about the prospects coming trough the pipeline just now.

The mentioned players were drafted 40 years ago... 

9 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Rick Vaive 788pts
Stan Smyl 673
Doug Lidster (D) 343
Brent Ashton 629
Patrik Sundstrom 588
Dirk Graham 489
Curt Fraser 433
Bill Derlago 416
Rick Lanz 286
Marc Crawford 50

False equivalency. Our prospect pool in today's game is much deeper than we've ever had.

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

As a long time fan I appreciate all the players you have listed (Smyl and Fraser were my 2 favs as a kid) but realistically it is underwhelming and the numbers are from a different era.

Do you honestly think Vaive and Smyl would match up well head to head with Horvat and Boeser over a 10 year period? Yeah the kids have a lot to prove but as much as I loved cheering on # 12 Brock and Bo look to be much more highly skilled.

Lastly, most posters are being optimistic and that is a rare thing for a Canucks supporter.

Could Vaive and Smyl matchup today, well how about could Horvat and Boeser match up in that era? Today's game is different yes, but back then only real men played hockey and the rest just played football.:lol:

Horvat and Boeser would have the skill set but would they have the "iron"? Both would be challenged, hooked, body checked constantly and asked to dance repeatedly. Even Orr was a nasty son of a btch at first.

Archived