The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rugby World Cup - Japan 2019

Scottish⑦Canuck

• 2 weeks later...

England destroys the USA 45-7 in a match which included a red card for one of the Americans after a brutal tackle....one hopes that the English engaged in over the top celebrations after every Try...

...but of course, Rugby players have far too much class for that kind of thing....

We got destroyed by Italy.  I accept Italy is a better side, but our team has really taken a nose-dive over the last 20 years.  Maybe in Soccer and Rugby we should really focus our attention growing the girl's games?  Spend our dollars on them.  I think it's pretty much wasted on the guys.  Our top male athletes don't play soccer or Rugby, whereas our girls do, and will, especially if the funding is there.  

35 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Japan beat Ireland which leaves us heading out barring a miracle.

Sack Gregor Townsend. Been all downhill since he took over.

Indeed, really liked the way they were playing under Cotter and the commitment every time they play the Pommies, love it. I was hoping for Scotland to sneek through in this group... Japan seems to be a cheeky team and twice caused some surprises in the World Cup (2015 they beat the Boks).

On 9/26/2019 at 2:34 PM, Alflives said:

We got destroyed by Italy.  I accept Italy is a better side, but our team has really taken a nose-dive over the last 20 years.  Maybe in Soccer and Rugby we should really focus our attention growing the girl's games?  Spend our dollars on them.  I think it's pretty much wasted on the guys.  Our top male athletes don't play soccer or Rugby, whereas our girls do, and will, especially if the funding is there.  

Women play Rugby?

Just now, Alflives said:

Last 5 world cups I thing our girls finished top 4 and got a second too.  

Really? Oh that is the Rugby Sevens I think?

Maybe they would get more viewed if they played in more attractive form fitting outfits?

I seem to remember that people really enjoy female beach volleyball come Olympic time but otherwise could not care about the sport..

• Cheers 1

I always wonder why Canada doesn't do well in rugby.  Not really complaining that they lost to NZL... I mean each country as their own specialty sport, but considering that Canada are pretty decent in rugby 7, you'd assume they would be more competitive in standard rugby.  

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I always wonder why Canada doesn't do well in rugby.  Not really complaining that they lost to NZL... I mean each country as their own specialty sport, but considering that Canada are pretty decent in rugby 7, you'd assume they would be more competitive in standard rugby.  

The fact that our Rugby Program can get amateurs to make the World Cup on a shoestring budget. And Soccer Canada can't get a program to get a team to even make a World Cup is sad. (Outside of 1986 and one wonders if Mexico wasn't the host nation would Canada have even made the World Cup then?)

Imagine if we had an actual pro Rugby Union in the US and Canada. We might even develop a top 8 team. 

Top teams in Rugby have a domestic rugby leagues to develop talent. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:48 PM, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

GOD our Canadian rugby team is horrible, i watched the NZ game and we got rekt hard ....well atleast US sucking too, but god our team is rough lol, i thought our rugby team was better, did we lose some prominent players or something?

Lot of our Beardos I think retired. Top Tier Rugby players like Aussie Rules Football players don't have long careers. 

It was disappointing our team in 2015 seemed a lot better.