The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-Car

To Car: Jake Virtanen (RW)

To Van: Roland McKeown (RD)

I’m of the belief Virtanen is on a collision course to being the next Zack Kassian rather a Todd Bertuzzi type of player. A change of scenery would probably be more beneficial for his career than the fishbowl atmosphere here in Van. He’s still young with good upside I just don’t think it will be realized here.

Carolina doesn’t have many RW prospects in their system and are loaded with young defensemen. McKeown hasn’t been able to crack their already loaded, young defensive core but is still a solid, well-rounded defenseman who can skate and play the PP.

That’s the foundation for the trade I’m not sure if picks would need to be swapped to even things out. Thoughts?

I like the idea of having McKeown in the fold.  He's fast and seems like he has potential scoring upside, which is exactly the kind of prospects we need: Ones we can get relatively inexpensively, and keep our fingers crossed that they develop into the kind of player we could use. At this point in his development, I don't think he is worth very much.  He hasn't exactly wow'd in the AHL, although he HAS improved.  Low cost, high risk.  I can live with that.

However, I'm just not sure I'm interested in giving up Virtanen for him.  It's hard to know if JV will ever develop into a top 6 player but even if he doesn't, he should be a useful bottom 6 player at minimum.  Given these facts, I think we'd be giving up too much for McKeown.  Even Zach Kassian gives the Oilers a much needed presence and some scoring ability; those are useful players to have.

The issue with trading with a team like Carolina is that they too aren't vying for a cup so they want young players as well.  I would rather trade with a team that believes they are a cup contender and wants to take on a rosater vet (ie: Not a prospect) and give us a young defenseman in return. So imo, you're going after the wrong kind of team to trade with, though if you believe JV won't amount to anything at all then I guess giving away nothing to get something is never a bad idea...

I really like mckeown. He’s difinately on the cusp of being a full time NHLer and from there I see him becoming a top 4 D

I also wouldn’t mind going after andersson in Calgary too. Maybe not for Jake but JB been good at stealing there upcoming players. 

Devon toews is another player I’d like us to go after. He’s injuried and out for the season this year but he’s also on the cusp of being a full time nhler. 

All RHD in the 21-24 range. 

I'd be willing to do this trade. We lose more grit, which is bad, but we can pick up a player better suited for the 3rd line role than Virtanen in free agency and it won't cost a lot. The only thing you are giving up is his potential, but you get that back with RM on defense, which is a much greater need at the moment.

Just now, c00kies said:

we can pick up a player better suited for the 3rd line role than Virtanen in free agency and it won't cost a lot.

I don't know I agree with this. I think that if Virtanen can't find his ceiling as many of us suspect that he will still be a pretty serviceable 3rd or 4th line player.  I mean, what's wrong with having a speedy, gritty guy like that? Worked well for Torres, who was quite instrumental in our playoff run. Only thing he brings that is a bit of a detriment is a less than amazing defensive game.

2 hours ago, Karlsson`s Flo said:

To Car: Jake Virtanen (RW)

To Van: Roland McKeown (RD)

I’m of the belief Virtanen is on a collision course to being the next Zack Kassian rather a Todd Bertuzzi type of player. A change of scenery would probably be more beneficial for his career than the fishbowl atmosphere here in Van. He’s still young with good upside I just don’t think it will be realized here.

Carolina doesn’t have many RW prospects in their system and are loaded with young defensemen. McKeown hasn’t been able to crack their already loaded, young defensive core but is still a solid, well-rounded defenseman who can skate and play the PP.

That’s the foundation for the trade I’m not sure if picks would need to be swapped to even things out. Thoughts?

i get your point

but i think it is a very poor comparison.. . virt to kassian

kassian had underlying serious substance abuse issues

that seemed to interfere with his head and his game

virt seems to have none of those issues, is highly skilled, just seems to have difficulty transitioning to the nhl game

not sure if it is a bit of lack of commitment or simply a slower processing ability on his part

it might just take him longer to get established

he is still really young

virt also has not used the media like kassian did to lobby his increased playing time interests

i have much more hope in virt then i did in kassian when he was here

it's rather important to be patient with virt

his tool box is pretty damn impressive

he just needs to learn how to better use the tools

Virtanens value is so low it doesn’t make sense to trade him. Keep him and hope he turns into a great hitting 3rd liner. The hopes of him in a top 6 are slim to none but his size and speed could make him a great 3rd liner and playoff nightmare for opposing teams. I’d rather not get a marginal return on Virtanen and keep him until he becomes something usefull or nothing at all and I’m okay with that.

Archived