The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

56 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We get "a cut" while Alberta reaps most of the reward and we incur most of the risk.  Hardly is incentive.  You can't put a price on this coast....and especially one that gives us "a cut".

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/transmountain-craftcms/documents/1491240428-170401_Spill-Chart-for_w_locations_TMEP_FINAL.pdf?mtime=20170622173437

So double this then?

Did you even look at those numbers/understand what they mean. 

For a pipeline built 57 years ago and having that record and type of containment of the spills records is a positive. Only 3 spills in the last 35 years occurred along the pipeline, again from a pipeline build 57 years ago. 

2 hours ago, mightycpc said:

Sure hope the precious BC coast is spared.  Boycott China.

Chinese satellite to CRASH into Earth in March and these are the chances it could hit YOU

A CHINESE spacecraft which was lost in 2016 is set to smash into Earth in the coming weeks.

Not going to lie.  If it happened to land in my front yard I will be out there with a axe keeping people away!  I could use that metal for some projects I want to build!

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Did you even look at those numbers/understand what they mean. 

For a pipeline built 57 years ago and having that record and type of containment of the spills records is a positive. Only 3 spills in the last 35 years occurred along the pipeline, again from a pipeline build 57 years ago. 

so you're admitting that we should expect a dil bit spill about once every 11 1/2 years. Alrighty then, before Alberta is allowed to do that please provide the comprehensive dil bit clean up plan. Or are you saying Alberta's economic interests allow BC to be polluted every decade or so?

Its tiring watching pipeline supporters skirt the clean up issue. How about addressing this head on for once?

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so you're admitting that we should expect a dil bit spill about once every 11 1/2 years. Alrighty then, before Alberta is allowed to do that please provide the comprehensive dil bit clean up plan. Or are you saying Alberta's economic interests allow BC to be polluted every decade or so?

and comments like this are exactly why people can’t stand the anti pipeline crowd. They act like over dramatic 5 year olds thinking this pipeline has the same impact as the tsar bomb going off. 

Think about the reaction you gave. Now consider: 

A )that’s a pipeline build 57 years ago. Does you 1961 car still run without leaking?  

B ) define a spill. A recorded spill is anything over 1.5 cubic meters.  Is 1.5 cubic meters going to destroy BC. How about 3 spills at the rate?  

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its tiring watching pipeline supporters skirt the clean up issue. How about addressing this head on for once?

The company has the legal responsibility to contain and clean up any spill. As well as put in any extra measurements to prevent a spill from happening. There hasn’t been a single spill in the Westridge Marine terminal ever which has been going on since 1957. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I never insinuated you but it's been proven a large amount of protesters didn't even know there was already an existing pipeline. 

Of course u insinuated posters here..

nice fail though 

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

and comments like this are exactly why people can’t stand the anti pipeline crowd. They act like over dramatic 5 year olds thinking this pipeline has the same impact as the tsar bomb going off. 

Think about the reaction you gave. Now consider: 

A )that’s a pipeline build 57 years ago. Does you 1961 car still run without leaking?  

B ) define a spill. A recorded spill is anything over 1.5 cubic meters.  Is 1.5 cubic meters going to destroy BC. How about 3 spills at the rate?  

The company has the legal responsibility to contain and clean up any spill. As well as put in any extra measurements to prevent a spill from happening. There hasn’t been a single spill in the Westridge Marine terminal ever which has been going on since 1957. 

avoidance as expected. No KM does not have responsibility to clean up a coastal spill once its put on a ship. The Michigan spill should be enough to scare any sane person. 

Again, whats the clean up plan?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  The rising temperatures of coastal waters is definitely changing our fishing industry.  

Most of the Salmon stocks on the Fraser River fish highway are destroyed......

My grandkids may never be able to enjoy the hobbies that i was able to enjoy....

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

avoidance as expected. No KM does not have responsibility to clean up a coastal spill once its put on a ship. The Michigan spill should be enough to scare any sane person. 

Do you have troubles reading?

I answered your question, there was no avoidance you just didn’t like the answer. Yes use the Michigan spill where enbridge (the oil company) paid back over a $ billion to clean up.   

Do you understand how much oil would need to spill/leak in order to wipe out BC’s tourism and fishing industries?  You’re acting like the pipeline is transporting a nuclear bomb.  In order to set BC back a high impact spill would need to happen, that’s over 257,000 barrels of oil spilled.  Do you know what the biggest spill in Alberta’s history is? 28,000 barrels of oil,  That doesn’t even reach the cut of a medium impact spill (which is considered to be 67,000 barrels of oil).  The average leak that’s happened with trans mountain pipeline over the last 57 years is under 200 barrels of oil.  That’s considered NO impact. 

So when you say risk, are you really considering what that means because it sure sounds like you and a whole load of other people are making things sound a lot scarier than it actually is.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you have troubles reading?

I answered your question, there was no avoidance you just didn’t like the answer. Yes use the Michigan spill where enbridge (the oil company) paid back over a $ billion to clean up.   

Do you understand how much oil would need to spill/leak in order to wipe out BC’s tourism and fishing industries?  You’re acting like the pipeline is transporting a nuclear bomb.  In order to set BC back a high impact spill would need to happen, that’s over 257,000 barrels of oil spilled.  Do you know what the biggest spill in Alberta’s history is? 28,000 barrels of oil,  That doesn’t even reach the cut of a medium impact spill (which is considered to be 67,000 barrels of oil).  The average leak that’s happened with trans mountain pipeline over the last 57 years is under 200 barrels of oil.  That’s considered NO impact. 

So when you say risk, are you really considering what that means because it sure sounds like you and a whole load of other people are making things sound a lot scarier than it actually is.  

Go up to Valdez with that argument. I'll pay for your bus ticket. I really will.  (https://www.thebalance.com/exxon-valdez-oil-spill-facts-effects-on-economy-3306206)

Again, you complexly avoided the question by attempting to minimize the effects of a spill. You literally have nothing to back that up those numbers, and even worse you are not using tanker spill data. Avoidance again.  But it does explain a a lot of the thinking (for lack of a better term) that we hear out of Alberta.

Your statements show what a lot of people in BC suspect, that you just don't care about a spill. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you understand how much oil would need to spill/leak in order to wipe out BC’s tourism

Not much oil at all, a few pictures of oil soaked birds and many people won't come here, as we all have heard a picture is worth a thousand words. The media will make it sound very, very bad, even for a  so called "mild" spill and the damage will be done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Not much oil at all, a few pictures of oil soaked birds and many people won't come here, as we all have heard a picture is worth a thousand words. The media will make it sound very, very bad, even for a  so called "mild" spill and the damage will be done.

Not really.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-bpspill-tourism/two-years-after-bp-oil-spill-tourists-back-in-u-s-gulf-idUSL1E8GP15X20120527

Two years after BP oil spill, tourists back in U.S. Gulf

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Please elaborate on this rather racist statement...getting sort of tired of the strawman stuff you're throwing out here.

What was racist?

The native leader is lamenting the loss of his old ways.  This loss has nothing to do with oil and everything to do with white (non native?) people taking his land.  

12 minutes ago, mightycpc said:

So for a similar spill we'd potentially lose 1.2 billion per year in tourism so 2.4 billion in total, just on the tourism not any fisheries loss.... how does this make the case that BC shouldn't be concerned? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Go up to Valdez with that argument. I'll pay for your bus ticket. I really will.  (https://www.thebalance.com/exxon-valdez-oil-spill-facts-effects-on-economy-3306206)

Haha Stop making yourself look stupid. I’m going to mop the flood with your arguments and then leave you be since your clearly not concerned in facts. 

First nice quote on the largest tanker oil spill in history of North America. Which happen 28 years ago. Where the captain was drunk. Because standard and safety hasn’t improved. 

Again, you complexly avoided the question

You asked what’s the plan for cleaning up a spill. I’ve answered is twice now,  the oil companies are responsible and now you referenced two spill where the oil companies have spent billions to clean up the spill, and you think I’m doing the avoiding? . 

by attempting to minimize the effects of a spill. You literally have nothing to back that up those numbers, and even worse you are not using tanker spill data.

Actually no im using tanking spill numbers publish by UBC. But you had a good day though. You would think of someone with such a strong opinion on the matter would have done the slightest bit of research. Oh wait. Maybe you asked your austrialian brother told you therefor it must be true.  Keep believing that this oil is a nuke that will inevitably go off. 

32 minutes ago, gurn said:

Exactly shows how gullible people are believing what ever the media tells them without finding out the real numbers.. Case en point, jimmy