The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Team Draft/Prospect Needs (Discussion)

Funny how our Defense shapes up.............

A lot of people (including me) have called for us to draft a RHD early in the first round

But the truth in we need more prospects on both sides

The obvious problem, is that it usually take 2 to 4 years, to have a drafted prospect ready for the nhl

And really, it is only the prospects that are brought in to strong clubs, that really make any kind of statement, earlier than that

Oh sure, there is the odd prospect that comes in and makes a big statement D+1 year, but not many!

This brings us to our current problem, which is, that we are short prospects on both sides and we will be lucky to fill the holes in 2 years,

with the current amount of draft picks we have, which again will take a few years to mature, "IF" at all..........its a weakness we have all seen

When you really look at it, we are probably healthier on our RHD side than our left for the next 4 years, as with Tanev, Gudbranson, Stecher, Pouliot, Chatfield and Tryamkin

all being young, we have a few years before the holes begin to show, where as, Edler, and MDZ are our  big minute munchers on our LHD, and 

after that we are looking at Hutton, Pouliot, , and with unproven and lesser skilled prospects filling in the rest of the LHD depth chart...aka

Holm, Joulevi, Brisebois, and McEneny, I just don't see the depth of any true minute munching defensemen past Joulevi, and that is an "IF" he develops to his ceiling.

So this brings us to this years draft.................we have somewhere around the 6th to 10th OA pick, and the 37 OA to 41st OA, picks, in which we may be able to get Dmen prospects, 

again "IF" we use both picks for defensemen..........if we don't do that, where do we get the replacements  for Edler and MDZ?, because unless you want to pay big money............

somewhere in the 8 to 10 million a year, big money...you will not find a UFA to fill our #1 and #2 spots. Which of course we will need going forward.

It is a problem, and I can not recount the times I have read the comments, that "we" need to continue to pick a big forward, because they are more of a guarantee,

and we have missed out on so many in the last 4 years....................have we really? 

I would love to hear the solutions from CDC, to fill these defensive holes that will show in the next 3 to 4 years................

I can assure you, without trading our first, Pettersson, an Gaudette, or a Demko?,

We are not getting another teams top defensive prospect unless his ceiling is only that of a # 3 or 4 defenseman

Again.....I would like to hear how we fill those elite defensive prospect holes, without using all our top picks to do that.......or do we just use our 2, 3 or 4ths and cross our fingers.

Please, I would like to hear your thoughts on this...........thanks

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So this brings us to this years draft.................we have somewhere around the 6th to 10th OA pick, and the 37 OA to 41st OA, picks, in which we may be able to get Dmen prospects, 

My opinion is that it is pointless to speculate on where we will draft in the first round until after the draft lottery is complete.  Even the second (and beyond) rounds are somewhat pointless as much can happen to change draft position in the remaining 32 games.

Realistic chance of playing on the Canucks (not including Virtanen and Boeser)

Forward Prospects: Gaunce, Goldobin, Boucher, MacEwen, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Palmu

Defensive Prospects: Holm, Chatfield, Brisebois, McEneny, Juolevi

Canucks need to draft Ds

If we don't plan to resign Gaunce/ Granlund I would like to send one of them to the Oilers so they can improve their PK. Sadly we don't have lots of space, but if the Oilers plan to make a run maybe trade Guddy and Granlund to the Oilers (both contracts expire) for a 1st round pick and  a conditional pick based on how far they go in the playoffs. This is their best chance to win IMO, before the salary constraints come up next year.

*Acquire a 1st rd pick*

Tanev will definitely get us a 1st rd pick as well (Assuming Toronto, it will be in the 18th- 25th position) and a prospect.

Edler won't be moved sadly.... 

Vanek maybe a 2nd round pick, but realistically a 3rd round pick.

Virtanen is at the end of his contract. I'd personally like to resign him / trade him to Carolina for a d prospect.

We most likely get a top 10 pick, hopefully a top 5 or #1 OA (lol)....

Now the question becomes, let's say we miraculously get the #1 pick and get Dahlin, do we use Oilers mid pick and Torontos late pick in the 1st round to get a top 5 pick and get a goal scorer or a 2nd DMAN Boqvist.

What if we get the #5th pick, do we package that with our pick and Leafs pick to move into the top 3....

----

Heck, what if the Sedins retire, we offer the Tavares 12 million for 6 years and he signs. We win the lottery and get the #1 pick and get Dahlin. Tyrkamin returns and Demko is ready to step in. 

Anyways, all jokes aside we won't know what happens until Trade Deadline or even the Lottery pool day..

16 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

If we don't plan to resign Gaunce/ Granlund I would like to send one of them to the Oilers so they can improve their PK. Sadly we don't have lots of space, but if the Oilers plan to make a run maybe trade Guddy and Granlund to the Oilers (both contracts expire) for a 1st round pick and  a conditional pick based on how far they go in the playoffs. This is their best chance to win IMO, before the salary constraints come up next year.

*Acquire a 1st rd pick*

Tanev will definitely get us a 1st rd pick as well (Assuming Toronto, it will be in the 18th- 25th position) and a prospect.

Edler won't be moved sadly.... 

Vanek maybe a 2nd round pick, but realistically a 3rd round pick.

Virtanen is at the end of his contract. I'd personally like to resign him / trade him to Carolina for a d prospect.

We most likely get a top 10 pick, hopefully a top 5 or #1 OA (lol)....

Now the question becomes, let's say we miraculously get the #1 pick and get Dahlin, do we use Oilers mid pick and Torontos late pick in the 1st round to get a top 5 pick and get a goal scorer or a 2nd DMAN Boqvist.

What if we get the #5th pick, do we package that with our pick and Leafs pick to move into the top 3....

----

Heck, what if the Sedins retire, we offer the Tavares 12 million for 6 years and he signs. We win the lottery and get the #1 pick and get Dahlin. Tyrkamin returns and Demko is ready to step in. 

Anyways, all jokes aside we won't know what happens until Trade Deadline or even the Lottery pool day..

Edmonton has 1 more point than Vancouver and is 12 points back of a wildcard position. They aren’t making a run any more than the Canucks are.  Don’t expect them to be buyers at the deadline. 

Archived