The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flu 2018 (OMG ITS AN EPIDEMIC but not really)

Wonder__Bread

This years flu has been the worst in nearly a decade. Don't believe me? Well here's a NY times article for you: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/health/flu-rates-deaths.html

As someone who has had this flu for the past 5 days I can easily tell you it's the worst one I've ever had. Usually the flu is just a 2-3 day ordeal and then I'm good to go back to work. This one leaves you with a fever for a prolonged amount of time (I'm on the 5th day and I still have fevers on and off). The first few days have been a blur but now that I'm out of my coma and recovering, I'm extremely restless and annoyed I've had to miss 4 days of work for this but I'm also extremely fatigued and need the rest. 

I think I finally understand what they mean by "the real flu". After writing this short paragraph it feels like I've run a marathon from my bed. So Canucks fans, have any of you had the flu this year and what have been your experiences? How long did it knock you out for?

I've gotten the flu twice in the last nine weeks. Only just now back at work after taking Monday-Wednesday off. Really kicking my booty. Shame on me for not getting a vaccine, maybe one of these could've been avoided. 

I've gotten the flu four times in my 28 years, and the two I got in the last two months have been so tough. I got exhausted just trying to sit upright to watch the NHL and AHL all star games. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yep worst one that I have had that I can remember... Off work for 3 days early in January where i couldnt even get out of bed and been battling it on and off since then.

Do you wish you had taken more time off to properly recover or were those 3 days enough? 

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Caught it last week. Had a fever for 8 days and am absolutely exhausted mentally and physically now. Amazing how long the recovery time has been for it.

Damn. I hope you're in a line of work where that much time off is not an issue :lol:

Crewmates are missing 3 days of work, coming back for 2 days then off sick for the last 3 days of shift. Some are not making back to work after the following 4 normal "weekend" days off, but missing the next day at work as well.

Fever, weakness, coughing so bad as to burst blood vessels in an eye. Horrible, horrible stuff.

12 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Do you wish you had taken more time off to properly recover or were those 3 days enough? 

Yeah i wish i could have taken a few more days but in my line of work 3 days is like 3 weeks and it just keeps going round and round the office now. That said the first 3 days were by far the worst.. I could manage after that even though not close to 100%

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yeah i wish i could have taken a few more days but in my line of work 3 days is like 3 weeks and it just keeps going round and round the office now. 

I feel you. It's the same in mine but I think I'm gonna take off the rest of the week anyway just cause I don't want anyone else in my office to get it and then have them miss a week.

My doctors recommendation was to take the week, he said that the reason it keeps spreading is because people are too pressured into not missing any work which in the end just spreads the virus around more. On top of that you will recover much slower. I really do wish they adopted a different attitude in the work place when it comes to sick leave. They've even shown how much money companies lose when they force sick people into work, it's kind of crazy. 

Archived