The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flu 2018 (OMG ITS AN EPIDEMIC but not really)

Wonder__Bread

Just now, Wonder__Bread said:

I feel you. It's the same in mine but I think I'm gonna take off the rest of the week anyway just cause I don't want anyone else in my office to get it and then have them miss a week.

My doctors recommendation was to take the week, he said that the reason it keeps spreading is because people are too pressured into not missing any work which in the end just spreads the virus around more. On top of that you will recover much slower. I really do wish they adopted a different attitude in the work place when it comes to sick leave. They've even shown how much money companies lose when they force sick people into work, it's kind of crazy. 

Completely agree. In a lot of work places you will hear them (HR) saying stay home if you are sick when it practice it is much different.

That's why we get flu shots... and before you say Oh I've never gotten sick look into herd immunity and the statistics of how effective immunizations in general are. Yes flu shots are based on the prediction on what will be the most active agent this year (it's forecasted , scientists are not psychic). 

Also just because you're sick you don't have the flu, theres a difference between a cold and flu

I have been lucky.  I had it once as a kid/teen and it was awful.  I know some people say the Flu vaccine is a waste and poison to your body and doesn't do anything etc. but other than this year I get it every year, just ran out of time and never got around to it.  The 2 other years I know I didn't get the vaccine I got mild flu and once a bad one but I swear by the vaccine. Even if it gives me a 5% better chance of not getting it I will take that.

Never been sick enough to miss work, never gotten a Flu shot. Only got the Swine Flu shot at the persisting request of my mum.

Never get sick, don't work with children or in a hospital, I'm not a child or elderly, so flu shot is not a high priority for me.

I haven't had a flu in at least a year, though I've had a few bad colds. My boss was sick for like a week in early December. Delayed things quite a bit, but I'm glad she took the time off. Even still, she wasn't fully recovered when she returned to work.

I think the worst I've ever had is probably like 3 days out of commission. 

On 01/02/2018 at 11:11 AM, PunjabiCanucks said:

That's why we get flu shots... and before you say Oh I've never gotten sick look into herd immunity and the statistics of how effective immunizations in general are. Yes flu shots are based on the prediction on what will be the most active agent this year (it's forecasted , scientists are not psychic). 

Also just because you're sick you don't have the flu, theres a difference between a cold and flu

I got the flu shot and I still got it not as bad as others mind you as I was only sick with the flu for like four or five days. I have a cough I cant shake though and chronic sinus issues.

They also did say on the news that this years flu shot is only 10% effective against this particular strain.

6 hours ago, AppleJack said:

I got the flu shot and I still got it not as bad as others mind you as I was only sick with the flu for like four or five days. I have a cough I cant shake though and chronic sinus issues.

They also did say on the news that this years flu shot is only 10% effective against this particular strain.

It never will be 100% effective, because it is a predictive model. Some people will get a certain strain vs others

I get flu shots yearly and I haven't gotten the flu since childhood, a cold once a year maybe. Your body will still build some tolerance to strains 

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎01 at 10:39 AM, gurn said:

Crewmates are missing 3 days of work, coming back for 2 days then off sick for the last 3 days of shift. Some are not making back to work after the following 4 normal "weekend" days off, but missing the next day at work as well.

Fever, weakness, coughing so bad as to burst blood vessels in an eye. Horrible, horrible stuff.

Just getting over a 3 day illness, I've had worse but this wasn't a picnic.

Archived