The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toronto / Tampa / Vancouver (proposal)

OK, I think we just totally bite the bullet................

Trade #1                                                                                                                            2018 Draft                                        Gain Assets

Van.................Edler 50% + Baertschi + 2019 2nd                                                       Van 5th OA..............                               Cal Foote RHD (2017 14th OA)

for                                                                                         Toronto  22 OA............                            Liljegren RHD (2017 18 OA)

Tamps.................Foote + 2018 1st                                                                              Tampa 31 OA................

Van 36 OA...................

Boston 56 OA..............

Van  67 OA..................

Trade #2

Vancouver..........Tanev + DiPietro + 2019 3rd                                                              OUT - 10.5 million  + Sedin's $14,000,000 = $24,500,000                                                    

for

Liljigren + 2018 1st

UFA signings                                              Players out

Trade #3                                                                                                                        Carlsson  - $7,000,000(4 yr)                            H, Sedin

Tavares  - $12,000,000 (7 yr)                          D, Sedin

Vancouver..........Vanek to Boston for a 2nd                                                                   Kane - $6,000,000 (4 yr)                                 T. Vanek

Gudbranson - $5,000,000 (2 yr)                       A. Edler

S Baertschi

I know this looks like over payment for the Toronto and Tampa trades...................I want these guys, as they are through D+1 year at the end of the year.

I know they are big payment for Carlsson and Tavares, but that is the only way you get them.

I like Kane and its my dream.....................notice we got rid of old vets(most 31+ year old vets) and upgraded with younger (27 and 28) year old vets

I have no problem spending our 2019 - 2nd and 3rd

Our 2018 - 2019 Lineup

Kane    Tavares    Eriksson                  Juolevi    Carlsson                       Markstrom

Pettersson    Bo      Boeser                   DMZ       Gudranson                    Demko

Gaudette    Sutter    Lind                       Holm       Stecher

Gaunce       Dowd    Vritanen                Joulevi     Foote

Just my Monday night babble!

Think we are overpaying in trades one and two. Tanev should fetch a grade A prospect and a First. Maybe you throw in a third but doubt you need to add a great goalie prospect.

Player-Worth

Edler- First

Tanev- First+A grade prospect

Baertschi- Second+B prospect

Vanek to boston makes sense though.

With Tampa wanting a Vet D Id be trading Tanev, Edler or Guddy there immediately to get my hands on some of their prospects.

I like the idea of packaging players/picks to increase the quality of the return.  Aim for high end prospects and 1st/2nd round picks.  Overpay for the right pieces if necessary, as we have a lot of really good prospects that will need to be on the team and have too many placeholders that will need to be turned over in the coming years.

Signing 3 high end free agents is probably just wishful thinking though....

Trades 1 and 2 are over payment by the Canucks,

A lot ppl don't like Edler but he isn't as bad as ppl think he is and at 50% retained? that is worth Foote and their 1st (especially if they win a cup) alone. Adding in Baertcshi and Canucks 2019 2nd is over payment.

Again Tanev is worth a 1st and Liljegren alone, don't need to add in another decent prospect or a draft pick.

I could see Tampa making an offer to the Canucks for either of those two Dman but most likely Tanev would be their first choice as their right side is weaker than their left.

I actually like the "Bones" of this flurry of moves.  Noticeably more gritty team. I do think that it assumes a lot throwing Pettersson into the NHL with 2nd line responsibilities right away and even Lind coming to the NHL right away among other things, so I kind of see this as being more of a lineup one year later.

I'm still not big on Kane and think he would be more trouble than he's worth (nor would I want to pay 6m for him), and I also think Eriksson as the 2nd line isn't a great idea given his play.  

It's amazing how much better a team gets when you have an elite player signed as a UFA out of the blue.  

This is a good looking lineup, and doesn't even consider:

Gagner

Dahlen

Gadjovich

Goldobin

Hutton
Granlund

I think I'd actually rather keep Edler, and ship out Del Zotto if possible.  We complain about Edler and his defense sometimes, but he's generally somewhat solid.  MDZ is a disaster out there defensively.  Then when Edler's contract is up, we re-sign him for half.

Note: You have Juolevi listed twice.

Since we're going all-out with UFA's (who of course would sign with us), why not take Islander's top line? I'm thinking more like this, in 2 year's time:

Pettersson Tavares Bailey                     1   12   6
Dahlen Horvat Boeser                            1  5.5   6.5

Gaudette Sutter Lind                              1  4.5   1

Gadjovich Granlund Virtanen                 1  2.5   2

Gaunce
43.5m

Tryamkin Liligren     4    1

Juolevi Carlson       1     6

Edler Stecher         2.5   1.5

Holm, Biega

Demko         

Markstrom

That's a cup-winning team right there folks, at around only 65m cap space so lots of room to add a rental if deemed needed for the first couple of years until elc's expire. Likely one of the very elite top two lines in the league, and solid bottom 6 with grit and scoring ability as well.  A beast in Tryamkin and scoring from Liligren, solid play from Juolevi and more scoring from Carlson, and occasional scoring from Edler and he pairs well with Stecher.  

29 minutes ago, groovy said:

Tavares has played his whole career on a fairly crap team. If he decides to leave NYI it won`t be to play for a rebuilding team. And why would he? He will get get good bucks wherever he goes.

Fair statement, but I feel the future of this team is bright - especially if we had a guy like that on our team. If we can show that a year or two down the road we are a legitimate contender, I can see him taking a chance if he loves the city.

But you're right - the chances are pretty slim.  We can dream, right?

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Fair statement, but I feel the future of this team is bright - especially if we had a guy like that on our team. If we can show that a year or two down the road we are a legitimate contender, I can see him taking a chance if he loves the city.

But you're right - the chances are pretty slim.  We can dream, right?

Let`s hope he is huge on salmon fishing then.

Overall, I like these ideas.  I definitely agree that packaging a couple pieces for higher end prospects is the way to go, and targeting Foote and Liljegren as well as first rounders makes sense.

I don't actually think the trades are massive overpayments.  Foote and Liljegren are two of the top prospects for each team, and best defensive prospect.  GM's don't part with those easily at all, and we wouldn't want to part with our top prospect even if we were competing for a cup.  That's why we held on to guys like Horvat.  I think the 2nd rounder in 2019 could maybe become a third rounder this year, then I'd say the value is good.  I'd be happy if we made these deals, or slight variations of them.  Personally I also think we should deal Gudbranson too, and see if we can unload Gagner.

For free agents, I originally thought fairly negatively.  I figured Tavares is unlikely (which is is), that Kane hasn't proven to be a winner with the Jets or Buffalo and both those franchises got rid of him so why would we offer big money for him, and that Carlsson has potential to be a Seabrook bad contract.  However after posting, I thought about it more, and I take that all back.  However it all hinges on Tavares.  If we could sign him, then Kane and Carlsson might be interested in coming here.  Signing Kane without Tavares would be making him the star of the team and Kane isn't the guy I'd want to build around or have the young guys brought up by.  However if we have Tavares as the captain and true star, then I'd be happy with Kane as his talented winger but not the focal point of the offense.  Carlsson is only 27, I originally thought he was older.  I also thought he was more inconsistent but his stats say otherwise, he was just injured two years ago.  

The one major change I would make is that if the Canucks are trying to do this quick rebuild, then we should hold on to Tanev and trade Gudbranson instead.  I like the Lijegren +1st trade if we are in full rebuild mode, but if we are stocking up to be competitive in the off-season, then let's keep Tanev to be a core part of that and trade Gudbranson to Toronto instead (clearly for a lesser package).

With all that said, the whole free agent aspect of the proposal is built around convincing Tavares to come, and I really doubt we will be able to do that, especially if we trade all our veterans..  

Recap of my tweaks. (Sign Tavares, Kane, Carlsson.  Trade Gagner, Vanek, Gudbranson.  Do your Edler trade proposal. Keep Tanev.  Offseason trade Nilsson and sign cheaper backup.)

Kane - Tavares -Petterson

Goldobin/Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Dowd/other - Gaunce - Virtanen

Pouliot - Carlson

MDZ - Tanev

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi (if he's ready instead of one of the left side of the D).

Markstrom

cheap backup

Our clear weak place is left D.  We have a decent amount of left D's, but not high talent.  Maybe we trade Hutton or MDZ and sign a guy like Hamhuis and/or de Haan

Thanks for the support! 

How this all started was, looking at Boston fielding 6 rookies and Colorado 4 or 5 rookies, a lot of other teams have 2 or 3..................

So then that gave me the steam to day dream a little.

I realize, that signing 3 UFA's for such big money is risky and doesn't usually happen. But I think if the organization goes out at the TDL and says, the reason they are moving vets is that they are "Going Big on July 1st). I think that sends a message to all agents to wait and hear them out! With so many teams right up against the cap, this might cause us to actually get some of these guys,

Back to the rookies....all the guys put on the roster would be either in their draft +2 season or better, and the Canucks would be a hell of a lot faster.........and more exciting!

It would also leave some rookies on the farm.....aka  Goldobin, Dahlen and Gadjovich to name 3, so there may be a little shuffling of  the rookies in my suggested roster

But the kicker, is we are faster, more talented, gritter, still have rookies in the minors, and ...................

We would have drafted heavy in the first 67 picks or the 2018 draft....3 of them being 1st and 1 being a very early second.

Benning could make everyone from Aqualini to CDC happy, drafting a top 5 BPA, and then picking 3 more LDH before getting past the 36th OA draft prospect.

This plan also does not include Tryamkin, which is a wild card, and who I think will be back here some day............

We would have veteran stars / young stars/ and prospect stars and all on a very cost controlled cap/age/rotation type of roster.

Ahhhh! it was fun!

But it does show you, how on paper, you can build a team quick. if you have the flexibility of prospects

54 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks for the support! 

How this all started was, looking at Boston fielding 6 rookies and Colorado 4 or 5 rookies, a lot of other teams have 2 or 3..................

So then that gave me the steam to day dream a little.

I realize, that signing 3 UFA's for such big money is risky and doesn't usually happen. But I think if the organization goes out at the TDL and says, the reason they are moving vets is that they are "Going Big on July 1st). I think that sends a message to all agents to wait and hear them out! With so many teams right up against the cap, this might cause us to actually get some of these guys,

Back to the rookies....all the guys put on the roster would be either in their draft +2 season or better, and the Canucks would be a hell of a lot faster.........and more exciting!

It would also leave some rookies on the farm.....aka  Goldobin, Dahlen and Gadjovich to name 3, so there may be a little shuffling of  the rookies in my suggested roster

But the kicker, is we are faster, more talented, gritter, still have rookies in the minors, and ...................

We would have drafted heavy in the first 67 picks or the 2018 draft....3 of them being 1st and 1 being a very early second.

Benning could make everyone from Aqualini to CDC happy, drafting a top 5 BPA, and then picking 3 more LDH before getting past the 36th OA draft prospect.

This plan also does not include Tryamkin, which is a wild card, and who I think will be back here some day............

We would have veteran stars / young stars/ and prospect stars and all on a very cost controlled cap/age/rotation type of roster.

Ahhhh! it was fun!

But it does show you, how on paper, you can build a team quick. if you have the flexibility of prospects

If Benning can pull this off...he would be immortalized forever in Vancouver!

Archived