The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexandre Burrows suspended 10 games

Alex Burrows suspension  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thankfully Hall isn't hurt. That move by Burr was a horrible idea, and I think given its severity that a 10 game suspension is warranted. I also think Marchand is overdue on a 10+ game suspension, but I don't think Burr deserves fewer just because Marchand was gifted fewer. Both egregious, both need to be made an example of. Only this time did the league get it right. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats a big steaming pile of hypocrisy from DoPS right there given what they levy out to others on teams with links to the NHL front office...

Especially his the "victim" tried to throw an elbow near or at the head of Burrows himself during the play (he just didn't connect).

I personally think the league got it right. Although they are not consistent with their decisions, they need harsher suspensions like this for a player to reconsider of attempting an illegal move. They need to do the same thing with hits targeting the head - no matter if there was an injury or not, those type of hits don't belong in the game and should be severely punished too. If only they were consistent with their calls, like Marchand getting more games instead of the five that he got, nobody would have a problem with the number of games Burrows got.

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Especially his the "victim" tried to throw an elbow near or at the head of Burrows himself during the play (he just didn't connect).

not just that but when a player throws a hit like Hall did you don't run away and turtle. There used to be some pride over these things but now it seems like DoPS is going to reward charging and being a turtle. Burr did earn a suspension but 10 is excessive given the context. All this is going to do is encourage guys like Hall to take more risks. 

I can totally see how Burr would have thought that was a charge and why he got incensed at Hall running away. Doesn't make it acceptable but Hall played a part here. 

Deserved.

If anything I wish plays like this garnered bigger suspensions. Concussions are no joke and blatant attacks on the head should be a minimum of 20.

I know Burrows is probably frustrated that he isn't a difference maker anymore but pulling $&!# like this to stay relevant is ridiculous. Retire with some sense of dignity.

10 games is ridiculous 

did he attempt to knee him? Yes. Did he really nail Hall with a knee? not even close 

the league had a chance to exact revenge on Burrows and they took advantage of the opportunity 

Repeat offenders all over the league get fines from that clown Parros and yet he suspends Cogliano... apparently a proven goon 

the old old boys club continues to protect its own and punish its outsiders 

Mickey Mouse league run by morons 

time for Parros to be shown the door and the NHL can $&@“ $&@ 

I look at all the garbage that has caused serious injuries like the preditory pre meditated elbow from kieth on Danny  and it’s 5 games.

yeah it this was  stupid but not ten games stupid. Did hall even  miss a shift.  

Rat throws flying elbows and deliberately and repeatedly has intent to injure but.....well he’s a Bruin and part of the buttman  pet project.

Meh, suck for Burrows hope he fights it just for the sake of fighting it. 

Very ugly and stupid play which has zero place in the game of hockey.  He definitely deserved a few games.

However, in reality that play was not likely going to cause any sort of injury (let alone a serious one) which makes me think 10 was too many.  We've seen scarier plays get less than this.

52 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i hope burr challenges this.  10 games for hitting a whiny player  and no injury , but only five for a repeat offender who injures.   pretty disgusting display coming from player safety. 

nah we have seen that narrative before

it will take 20 games before there is a final resolution

burr will have served his 10 games but will get a pay refund for 5 of them

he will not make up those 5 games he was unjustly prevented from playing

After the knees, can't complain too much about the suspension. It all added up to a fair bit of evidence against Burr. The only problem I have is the NHL wants to factor in injuries resulting from these kinds of things and Hall was fine but then Marchand only gets 5 for an obvious elbow resulting in injury. Burr was way in the wrong, but I thought that might get 5.

The Department of Player Safety needs to revamp their entire standard of how many games a player deserves because right now most of us are always disagreeing with their decisions, and that is because of the inconsistency. If I look at the current standard, then I can see how this suspension can be considered too long. It always makes me laugh when I see players getting fined for $5,000, I mean why even bother fining them when they are getting paid millions? Same goes for the one or two game suspensions. Also, why is a player considered a "repeat offender" if only he was involved in an incident in the last 18 months? Why not take into account his entire career? 

I said in the previous thread that all signs pointed to a lengthy suspension so I am not at all surprised. Burrows is not all that liked, he made a career out of making people angry and seems to have crossed the line frequently with some. Someone also said it earlier, it is about "who" you are and how that affects the league's bottom line. Burrows now in the late stages of his career is a 4th liner while Hall is a star for a New York area franchise. Then there was the actual action that was pretty unprecedented, kicking someone twice in the head, I really can't even remember the last time I saw that. That pretty much gave them leeway to give him whatever they decided on and I can't imagine there were too many guys in that room who were actually objective.

Archived