The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alexandre Burrows suspended 10 games

Alex Burrows suspension  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure how the league can justify letting Marchand continue with his garbage at this rate.  It's fair but the league has set precedent that this kind of play is acceptable due to Marchand not being banned for life.  Seriously question the integrity of the league given Burrows was the one to expose the corruption in the officiating ranks.

I agree 100% with the length of Burrs suspension, I was expecting 10-15 games. He kneed someone in the back of the head twice, this is hockey not MMA. There is zero place in the game for that, and you can’t even argue that it was part of a hockey play. And if Burr was still on my team, I’d be livid.

In saying that, I think the DoPS got Marchand’s call wrong and he should have got 10 games. The DoPS needs to start being way harsher if they want the stuff to stop. There needs to be base punishments, and it shouldn’t matter if the person was lucky enough to escape without injury, punish the action, not the outcome.

And if they truly want this repeat offender stuff to stop, then if you get 3 infractions within 5 years then you get suspended for 20 games, and if you get another one then you’re out for a season. You will see players smartening up right quick.

Just now, canuck2288 said:

10 games is ridiculous 

did he attempt to knee him? Yes. Did he really nail Hall with a knee? not even close 

the league had a chance to exact revenge on Burrows and they took advantage of the opportunity 

Repeat offenders all over the league get fines from that clown Parros and yet he suspends Cogliano... apparently a proven goon 

the old old boys club continues to protect its own and punish its outsiders 

Mickey Mouse league run by morons 

time for Parros to be shown the door and the NHL can $&@“ $&@ 

Apollo is that you? "LEAGUE'S OUT TO GET US"

I'd also like to know your definition of attempt? Cause Burrows blatantly kneed Hall, you can't argue that. 

I'll agree there's definitely been inconsistencies with the DOPS and it happens quite often. But they were bang on with this suspension. And Burrows was/is one of my all-time favourite Canuck players and so it's hard for me to say that. But if this happened to any one of our guys people would want blood and would complain that this be a 20 game suspension.

44 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Apollo is that you? "LEAGUE'S OUT TO GET US"

I'd also like to know your definition of attempt? Cause Burrows blatantly kneed Hall, you can't argue that. 

I'll agree there's definitely been inconsistencies with the DOPS and it happens quite often. But they were bang on with this suspension. And Burrows was/is one of my all-time favourite Canuck players and so it's hard for me to say that. But if this happened to any one of our guys people would want blood and would complain that this be a 20 game suspension.

If you truly think that was a “knee” you are wrong 

look closely at the vid. Burrows lifts his leg towards hall but never even made contact with his knee. At best his upper leg but there was no force as he was in so close to Hall. A good knee to the head needs space to build some force. And by the way I am sad Burrows didn’t really knee Hall to the head as Hall is a big league pussy 

And yes, the league is out to get Burrows 

Going after a guy is one thing... but trying to knee to the head? Come on, Burrows thats out of line. Hell, its an illegal move even by the UFC.

Probably gets less games if it wasnt a player of Halls caliber though. 

I’m sorry but anyone defending this is ridiculous and for once the league got it right. It’s about optics sure the knees weren’t fully connecting but kneeing a guy who is pinned to the ice by bth a player and linesman is a terrible look and well worthy of a 10 game suspension. 

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It was a dumb move by him. Hopefully, he can cut the crap out before he is done playing.

I don't want Burrows legacy to be remembered as a guy who does stupid crap.

Too late for that...I will remember him equally for scoring the OT goal vs. the Hawks, making the leap from the ECHL to AHL to the NHL; and for the hair pulling (Keith and Kessel), finger biting, stupid/undisciplined penalties, and now kneeing Taylor Hall in the head.

Said this many times while Burrows was a Canuck -- for every good thing he gave, he did an equally stupid thing.  In the end, I will see Burrows as a guy with a zero balance sheet.  One good for every bad.

Am very glad that Benning was able to pry Dahlen for Burrows last TDL, and to see Burrows plying his trade in Ottawa and not in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

10 games is ridiculous 

did he attempt to knee him? Yes. Did he really nail Hall with a knee? not even close 

the league had a chance to exact revenge on Burrows and they took advantage of the opportunity 

Repeat offenders all over the league get fines from that clown Parros and yet he suspends Cogliano... apparently a proven goon 

the old old boys club continues to protect its own and punish its outsiders 

Mickey Mouse league run by morons 

time for Parros to be shown the door and the NHL can $&@“ $&@ 

Plain and simple the league just hates him . . .  What he did was wrong, but 10 games spare me . .  just spare me..   Look at what happened to Jets goalie and almost lost his head from stupid James Neal stick and not only did they count the goal zero happened to Neal.   JOKE. . .

6 hours ago, Rocky Balboa said:

I'd be good money if that was Marchand on a Sedin he'd only get a fine. 

How does Marchand only get five for his elbow when he's a repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat offender. Plus usually the guys he targets get injured.

also - marchands actions always look deliberate and away from the play.

this by burrows - not defending it by any means as he clearly saw red and lost control completely. But his was in the heat of the moment. He didn't go I'm gonna knee hall in the head while no ones looking. 

And burrows rap sheet although tarnished he has been suspended very little and wouldn't be considered a repeat offender. I was expecting a 3 game max using Marchand as a benchmark.

but I forgot Marchand gets special treatment...

6 hours ago, rekker said:

10 for Burr. Hmmm 5 for Marchand who has a longer rap sheet. I thought the elbow was worse than the knee job

That and the elbow did cause a concussion. I think they got the two punishments reversed.

Yea agree -completely - it's super ridiculous ,, just like goalie interference right now 

as subtle as the  knee to the head was  in the heat of the moment , the few seconds  burrows may well have thought it would be seen as accidental ,there's his mistake  'accidentally on purpose'  hall not being injured  is moot ,there was intent , the flood of emotion gets the best of him , wiley old vet ,wears his heart on his sleeve with so  much pride  it's sad to see the old guard  reducing themselves in an effort to remain competitive in a league  that's bypassing older players.

Archived