The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking the NHL Draft Ranking Services (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

OK, hopefully I can as this question properly!

Does anyone know if there is a ranking of agencies that rank draft picks........who has been historically more accurate?

Example:

Agencies player rankings (prior to draft)     Vs     Actual Draft Picks Order (on draft day)     Vs     Re-Draft 4 yrs later (who turned out the best)

I am talking about

NHL.com

ISS

McLeans

McKenzie

Hockey writers

ESPN

The Hockey News

Etc.

It would be interesting to see what agency actually gets the ranking of talent right........................

Any thoughts?

Craig Button seems to be on the mark recently. But you'd have to go back and just compare what these guys all said with the actual year: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft/2018-nhl-draft-rankings

it would be an interesting project but you'd have to look at both the draft day results but then who actually picked the most successful players a few years later. 

I found this tidbit from 2009, looks like Bob McKenzie was the man then too: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-2009-entry-draft-aftermath-comparing-the-draft-ranking-services/

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Craig Button seems to be on the mark recently. But you'd have to go back and just compare what these guys all said with the actual year: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018-draft/2018-nhl-draft-rankings

it would be an interesting project but you'd have to look at both the draft day results but then who actually picked the most successful players a few years later. 

I found this tidbit from 2009, looks like Bob McKenzie was the man then too: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-2009-entry-draft-aftermath-comparing-the-draft-ranking-services/

Thanks Jimmy

Good article............worth a read! Pretty close to what I was thinking.

Way I see it is at least the Canucks are perfectly aligned to take Boqvist 5th as the next 3 picks after Dahlen appear to be nearly consensus Svechnicov, Zadina, Tkachuck, which at the very least  will save JB the trouble of being roasted for passing on Tkachuck twice. 

Boqvist is one of the youngest players in the draft and is tailor made for the Canucks. Right shot elite speedy PMD with a rocket launcher. 

The other guy I'm really key'd in on if the Canucks can scrounge a 2nd 1st rounder is Veleno. He's a pure 200' C with elite passing. for the last 3 years he has been pegged top 3 in this years draft he's had a bit of a set back but the sky is still the limit for him.

from 2016  https://www.nhl.com/news/big-future-ahead-for-joseph-veleno/c-281279058

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Jimmy

Good article............worth a read! Pretty close to what I was thinking.

its the development piece that makes it tough to know who's the most accurate talent eye - would Nail Yakupov have been a star e.g., if he had ended up in Montreal or Columbus and not been rushed?  who knows. 

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Boqvist is one of the youngest players in the draft and is tailor made for the Canucks. Right shot elite speedy PMD with a rocket launcher. 

I'd be really happy with this guy too if we end up 5th again. 

Yeah, I think the order is something like this in the first 8

1. Dahlin  (1)

------------------------------

2. Svechinkov (4)

3. Zadina (2)

4. Tkachuck (3)

5. Boqvist (5)

6. Hughes (8)

7. Bouchard (6)

8. Dobson  (7)

I am not too big on Hughes, as he is just a little too small, but it makes me wonder if he is that much more talented than Bouchard and Dobson, and has been already down graded  because he is small?

Bouchard kinda reminds me of the Russian kid Sergachev, Montreal picked and traded to Tampa, who was slated as the "best" offensive defenseman" but was discounted because he was Russian and was thought to have been more mature and was closer to his ceiling? Bouchard has been discounted a little because of his early birthday, just as people talk about Boqvist having an late birthday. 

Dobson has been rapidly moving up most draft list and I have seen him as high as 6th..........but normally ranges around 7 to 10.......he is touted as having a very well rounded game and that he can also run a PP well.............wonder what makes him less than say Bouchard?

I guess, these are only mid terms and the final rankings will show a more meaningful account of what everyone thinks.....................from everything, I have read, I guess McKenzie's lists are the ones to go off of, as a rule, when a fan want to form opinions............

We shall see..............It will be interesting to see the final Pre-draft rankings

My list is in brackets

Archived