The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Trade Deadline, The Benning Way

Last trade deadline Benning traded two Forwards for two forward prospects,

I propose we address our number one need and ship out two defense-man  for two defensive prospects!

Trade 1 - VAN-VEGAS

To VAN

Nicolas Hague + 2018 4th round pick

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=253977

To Vegas

Ben Hutton +2018 3rd round pick

Hague is a great prospect whom is putting up big points in the OHL, I was actually hoping we would draft him last draft. We also acquire a 4th round pick to replace the one we gave up in the Pouliot trade.

Vegas might be interested because between UFA’s and RFA’s they have 5 D-men that may or may not come back next year, Hutton can also help with their depth as Vegas has multiple injuries to their blueline .

Vegas also doesn’t have a 3rd round pick in this years draft, as our 3rd rounder will be a higher pick this will surely interest Vegas.

Trade 2 - VAN-LA

To VAN

Austin Strand +2018 3rd round pick

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=161123 

To LA

Michael Del Zotto.

Strand is third in the WHL as far as goals scored by D-men, he’s a right hand shot and has some upside to him.  We regain a 3rd round pick from the Vegas trade and gain a defensive prospect that has ability to put the puck in the net.

As for LA they gain a solid 3rd pairing defenseman, I think with sheltered minutes Del Zotto can be very effective.

We lose,

*Hutton, Del Zotto and our 3rd rounder,

We gain,

*Hague, Strand, a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick

Vegas and LA get D-men that are more then just rentals as both D-men have another year left on their contract.

I will note that the Trade with Vegas would not work if they were not doing as well as they are, they are certainly a contenders.

I'd be happy with both of these deals.... LA might go for that, but I wonder if McPhee is just going to sit tight now and let it all play out. He's under no pressure to give up any futures and Hutton isn't a final cup run piece. 

I don't think Hutton helps Vegas much right now. They are pretty set for left handed PMD's in Miller & surging Theodore. And Hague is the type of D they may need down the track, versus another guy (optimistically) like Miller.  He also might be ready as early as next year; he's a big, fast, physically capable D man.  Its just whether his composure handles the speed.

I also don't believe Hutton would command Hague.

I have the opposite view of Strand.  He's an undrafted free agent, tearing it up as an overager. After an ordinary WHL career.  Don't see why we would pay a D man better than Hutton for a C prospect...

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't think Hutton helps Vegas much right now. They are pretty set for left handed PMD's in Miller & surging Theodore. And Hague is the type of D they may need down the track, versus another guy (optimistically) like Miller.  He also might be ready as early as next year; he's a big, fast, physically capable D man.  Its just whether his composure handles the speed.

I also don't believe Hutton would command Hague.

I have the opposite view of Strand.  He's an undrafted free agent, tearing it up as an overager. After an ordinary WHL career.  Don't see why we would pay a D man better than Hutton for a C prospect...

I see where you're coming from, Hutton doesn't seem like a lot of help to Vegas right now but like i had mentioned he could be help for next year as they have up to 5 players on defense that could possibly not resign, 3 UFA's and 2 RFA's.  Hutton would provide immediate help as Vegas has 3 D men on IR.

Strand is certainly a chance but its a low risk chance as we gain a 3rd round pick in that deal, plus Del Zotto has 1 year left on his deal and is not apart of our future.

I figured maybe we could get a 2nd at next years deadline for Del Zotto by why not take a chance on Strand and gain 3rd rounder for this years draft right.

*The previous posters* Thanks for the positive feedback and i agree with you guys about the Vegas situation, McPhee may wish to sit tight, but i hope not :P

1 hour ago, canuckmen84 said:

I see where you're coming from, Hutton doesn't seem like a lot of help to Vegas right now but like i had mentioned he could be help for next year as they have up to 5 players on defense that could possibly not resign, 3 UFA's and 2 RFA's.  Hutton would provide immediate help as Vegas has 3 D men on IR.

Strand is certainly a chance but its a low risk chance as we gain a 3rd round pick in that deal, plus Del Zotto has 1 year left on his deal and is not apart of our future.

I figured maybe we could get a 2nd at next years deadline for Del Zotto by why not take a chance on Strand and gain 3rd rounder for this years draft right.

*The previous posters* Thanks for the positive feedback and i agree with you guys about the Vegas situation, McPhee may wish to sit tight, but i hope not :P

Dont get side tracked by RFA.  They have the right to sign those RFA's, and use the fact they cannot leave without the right to match as leverage.  RFA's Miller & Theodore are not going anywhere!

BTW I do really like the target Hague! I had him on my draft card for us when Jim called Linds name.  And I support that pick, Lind looks great.  But I would still like Hague, a lot! I just don't think you will get him with Hutton. Of course everyone will be on board for a clear trade win...  

I just don't see how Hutton displaces McNabb, whom they just resigned, Miller or Theodore.  That's actually a stacked long term left hand side?  They also have Hutton clone John Merrill, another left D with very similar skill set (maybe a pinch less value) for this + 2 more years. This year & next they have Schmidt another left D. Then also LHD Sbisa, Stoner and Garrison for the balance of this year. In their prospect base they have Hague, almost NHL ready (?), Brannstrom another PMD & retread Griffin Reinhart. Trust me; they have zero need for Hutton or a LHD.

What they do have is just tough and serviceable (also old) Deryk Engelland & AHL re-write Brad Hunt as right handed D on their roster. Hunt is not an NHL D IMO unless a team is desperate?  And their best RHD prospect is undrafted UFA signee Dylan Coghlan from Tri City of the WHL.  Gudbranson or Tanev would be extremely logical targets for Vegas.  Hague a more realistic value for Guddy. Hague +, maybe even ++ for Tanev.

Problem is, we are also short on RHD. Don't have any in our prospect base either.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

BTW I do really like the target Hague! I had him on my draft card for us when Jim called Linds name.  And I support that pick, Lind looks great.  But I would still like Hague, a lot! I just don't think you will get him with Hutton. Of course everyone will be on board for a clear trade win...  

I agree, Lind looks great for sure.

As far as Hutton getting us Hague goes let's not forget there is a high 3rd round pick involved in that trade, it's pretty much a 2nd round pick value which is where Hague was drafted . I do agree with you that they could use a RHD instead of a lefty and that Guddy would fit the build but I feel at this point that Hutton is on his way out and Guddy may be extended .

It's something to note as Well that the knights UFA's at seasons end are all left hand shots, yes the have some up and coming prospects that can fill the left D spot but I still think Hutton can be worse case scenario, 6-7 type dman For them and maybe even be traded at next year's TDL if they deem fit...lots of possibilities. 

Archived