The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trip to Mexico/Guatemala - Looking to party it up.

Dazzle

Just finishing up a trip in Mexico City. What a time it was. If you’d have come down earlier you could’ve taken in Carnival- it’s unlike anything we’ll ever have in Canada. 

I take it you’re more keen on doing the beach type of thing but I’d highly recommend Mexico City. Beautiful city. The architecture and the history blow Vancouver out of the water. I’ve found Mexican people to be super helpful, friendly, and welcoming too. 

On 2/12/2018 at 6:01 PM, Dazzle said:

Hello:

I'm looking to visit both these places, though I haven't pinpointed the exact cities to go. These are my goals:

- experiencing the nightlife, including the clubs, booze, brothels, but no sex with prostitutes. I'd much rather chill out to smoke some shisha, talk and dance with regular people. No hard drugs.

- planning on bringing at least 3000-4000 pesos (~200 CDN) because of the favourable rate exchange. I may bring more cash. I know better not to flash money. (I'm not rich and don't want to be a target).

What do I need to know about Mexico's fun side? Any tips/advice/experiences are much appreciated. :)

off to bigger and better things than some horny tricks?

20 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Just finishing up a trip in Mexico City. What a time it was. If you’d have come down earlier you could’ve taken in Carnival- it’s unlike anything we’ll ever have in Canada. 

I take it you’re more keen on doing the beach type of thing but I’d highly recommend Mexico City. Beautiful city. The architecture and the history blow Vancouver out of the water. I’ve found Mexican people to be super helpful, friendly, and welcoming too. 

20 hours ago, Odd. said:

off to bigger and better things than some horny tricks?

20 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

$200 bucks?

No hookers or drugs?

And you said you're looking to partying it up?

This doesn't add up. 

Haha. Awesome, Sean Monahan. Maybe if I have more time I'd visit Mexico City.

No to hard drugs. If I were to do something, not that I would, I wouldn't do cocaine. Who knows what kind of crap is put in them? Plus the drug is overpriced for what it brings, so I've heard. Look at all the celebrities that have done coke - nothing good has come out of it. I'd rather try LSD/Ketamine, which would invoke more creativity.

So, no to hard drugs. I would much rather prefer hookah/shisah, which is perfectly legal and provides a similar type of experience as what coke would bring.

51 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Haha. Awesome, Sean Monahan. Maybe if I have more time I'd visit Mexico City.

No to hard drugs. If I were to do something, not that I would, I wouldn't do cocaine. Who knows what kind of crap is put in them? Plus the drug is overpriced for what it brings, so I've heard. Look at all the celebrities that have done coke - nothing good has come out of it. I'd rather try LSD/Ketamine, which would invoke more creativity.

So, no to hard drugs. I would much rather prefer hookah/shisah, which is perfectly legal and provides a similar type of experience as what coke would bring.

Smart decision.

Never wise to partake in illegal activities  / getting wasted in a foreign country... Impaired decision making not ideal when so far from home......

Play it safe....   be safe.    Have fun but be smart. 

I backpacked solo  Europe, Greece, Turkey, Morocco etc...   Had fun but had to be in control somewhat. 

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Smart decision.

Never wise to partake in illegal activities  / getting wasted in a foreign country... Impaired decision making not ideal when so far from home......

Play it safe....   be safe.    Have fun but be smart. 

I backpacked solo  Europe, Greece, Turkey, Morocco etc...   Had fun but had to be in control somewhat. 

I'm surprised you are giving such sound advice despite being continually roasted when it comes to hockey talk :P

I would love to do some solo travelling and do some soul-searching in the process. Which of those places did you enjoy the most?

I am old now...  has been - never was...

But if i can give one piece of advise from days travelling as a young guy...

Youth hostels, youth hostels, youth hostels...  all day long.

How often in your life will you meet cool young people from diverse countries.. eg sweden, germany , english ,  spanish..... all  travelling on a budget... 

Partying together and sharing about each others culture....

Take it from what its worth from an old has been - never was.....   I wish i was young and could do it all over again.....

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm surprised you are giving such sound advice despite being continually roasted when it comes to hockey talk :P

I would love to do some solo travelling and do some soul-searching in the process. Which of those places did you enjoy the most?

Solo travelling..

Well i really enjoyed Spain, Greece, Turkey.. but i was broke and living on less than 20.00 per day for my trip..... So i preferred more affordable countries..

Slept in hostels... slept in a tent....    etc.    You get the picture. 

Good times..  met so many cool people.  So many late night conversations.... too much shared wine  etc...

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah I was just joking about the hard drugs. Chill natural ones are another story ;). 

But yeah man $200 bucks is not anywhere near enough to have a good time. Bring more. 

Best of luck and be safe. 

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

I personally would not go to Mexico at all right now due to safety concerns.  Not a risk I would take.

Lol

Don’t be an idiot and it’s completely safe. Aside from one attempted pick-pocketing on the subway (which was easy to snuff out) I was never even close to any sort of imminent danger. 

15 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Lol

Don’t be an idiot and it’s completely safe. Aside from one attempted pick-pocketing on the subway (which was easy to snuff out) I was never even close to any sort of imminent danger. 

Probably unlikely anything happens, but I still wouldn't go.  And the fact that you even had an attempted pick pocket says a lot. 

Already been, and many other better tropical destinations...

2 hours ago, JV77 said:

Probably unlikely anything happens, but I still wouldn't go.  And the fact that you even had an attempted pick pocket says a lot. 

Already been, and many other better tropical destinations...

Pick pockets are working in downtown Vancouver as well, as well as gangs and petty criminals. Should we avoid downtown too?

I didn’t go to MC as a tropical destination- I went for the cultural immersion. The city and the surrounding areas are pretty unique, offering experiences and sights one would never get in Vancouver or other major Latin American cities for the matter. I’ve been to various cities in Peru, Panama, and Ecuador- MC was hands down my favourite. I’ll be booking another trip for next year as well. 

On 2/12/2018 at 6:01 PM, Dazzle said:

Hello:

I'm looking to visit both these places, though I haven't pinpointed the exact cities to go. These are my goals:

- experiencing the nightlife, including the clubs, booze, brothels, but no sex with prostitutes. I'd much rather chill out to smoke some shisha, talk and dance with regular people. No hard drugs.

- planning on bringing at least 3000-4000 pesos (~200 CDN) because of the favourable rate exchange. I may bring more cash. I know better not to flash money. (I'm not rich and don't want to be a target).

What do I need to know about Mexico's fun side? Any tips/advice/experiences are much appreciated. :)

hey good luck with your travels

there is a certain challenge to travel on a tighter budget

it brings it's own kind of enjoyment and reward

too much money makes things too easy in my view

i think you'll make it work out fine

Brothels but no prostitutes? lol

Mexico City was amazing when I went. If you're in it for the night-life, Puerto Vallarta and Playa del Carmen/Cancun are good places for partying it up with both foreigners and locals. The latter has some of the best clubs in the world. 

On February 14, 2018 at 8:06 PM, JV77 said:

I personally would not go to Mexico at all right now due to safety concerns.  Not a risk I would take.

The amount of risk associated with Mexico is largely overdone. I've never had any bad experiences whenever I've gone.

To put it into perspective, I've had bad pickpocketing experiences in Barcelona and Rome, while having visited there much less. 

On February 15, 2018 at 12:45 AM, Sean Monahan said:

Pick pockets are working in downtown Vancouver as well, as well as gangs and petty criminals. Should we avoid downtown too?

I didn’t go to MC as a tropical destination- I went for the cultural immersion. The city and the surrounding areas are pretty unique, offering experiences and sights one would never get in Vancouver or other major Latin American cities for the matter. I’ve been to various cities in Peru, Panama, and Ecuador- MC was hands down my favourite. I’ll be booking another trip for next year as well. 

Totally agree. I've been to Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Peru and Uruguay but Mexico, imo, is by far more interesting and more diverse. It's the closest country to Canada to boot. Win-win. 

Archived