The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask a professional people toucher anything!

Rate this topic

Shayster007

1 hour ago, Cramarossa said:

@shayster007 Why did you choose to pursue this career field? Are you a man? If so, has a male client ever expressed discomfort with someone of the same sex working on them?

I have never gotten a massage before, too wigged out at the idea of a stranger touching me. 

I am indeed a man. I have had both males and females that have been uncomfortable with the idea of letting a man massage them. Early in my career I worked in a spa and had several woman reject the treatment due to me gender. At the spa my clients were probably roughly 95% female. On a few occasions in the last few years at my clinic I have had a few men and one lady do the same. At the clinic my day is more split 50/50 gender wise. I take no offense to ladies who are uncomfortable with the idea of their RMT being a young male. I have no idea of their past experiences that may shape that decision. I do however take offence to men who reject treatment due gender. I feel as the gender rejection towards a male therapist between men and women are for two very different reasons. I mean, come'on  it's 2018 guys, get over it...

I originally went to university to become a highschool biology teacher. When the program became more education based, and less about the anatomy I realized my passion was with the human body and not teaching. I dropped out of my practicum went looking for a new path. I spent some time researching different healthcare professions when I found massage therapy. Though I had never had a massage myself, the idea that you could heal injuries through touch intrigued me. I grew up as a woodworker, so I was used to having a very physical job and enjoy working with my hands. I did an introductory to massage course and the college and the rest was history. 2.5 years of school later, and now I have been a full time RMT for over 4 years.

• Upvote 2
On 2018-03-06 at 4:42 PM, Cramarossa said:

@shayster007 Why did you choose to pursue this career field? Are you a man? If so, has a male client ever expressed discomfort with someone of the same sex working on them?

I have never gotten a massage before, too wigged out at the idea of a stranger touching me. 

introduce yourself.  Make some small talk for the first 15-20 minutes.  Zone out for the remaining hour+.....that's what I'm talking about!

On 2018-03-06 at 4:42 PM, Cramarossa said:

I can see where a person may have some apprehension regarding personal space and not be comfortable with a stranger touching them.

As someone who has been in several car accidents I do feel I benefit from visits to a Chiropractor and an RMT. My personal experiences have all been professional and therapeutic.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I can see where a person may have some apprehension regarding personal space and not be comfortable with a stranger touching them.

As someone who has been in several car accidents I do feel I benefit from visits to a Chiropractor and an RMT. My personal experiences have all been professional and therapeutic.   

i'd be only to lucky to say 'to wigged out'   since there's no fix for my  herniated disc  (lumbar)  at least i'd still have a choice  .her questions speak loud of a total lack of understanding of therapeutic healing , and would only change from necessity. it wouldn't matter to me if it were a martian if I knew it could help ,at least with the dumb questions there was an admission.

Edited by chon derry
4 hours ago, riffraff said:

introduce yourself.  Make some small talk for the first 15-20 minutes.  Zone out for the remaining hour+.....that's what I'm talking about!

You can very quickly decipher if a patient is wanting to chat or not.  I'm a social person and like to chat, but it's not about me. You would be surpised how chatty and open people become on the table. Some people want to fill the silence (even though I play music in the room), some people need to open up to heal. Chronic pain patient's in particular will sometimes use me as a therapist. 

I also use alot of physical and auditory clues during the treatment to know where pain is and when muscles are releasing. Keep people talking at times makes it easier to tell when I have found a good spot.

4 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

You see alot of diversity in ages and culture regarding touch. It's much more acceptable in young people and seniors. Further more, north western and people of Europe are normally quite comfortable with it. I tend to see more apprehension in people of Latin or Asian backgrounds. I used to work at a spa that saw alot of tourists from Europe and the are extremely comfertable with touch and their bodies in general.

I'm glad you saw benfit seeking healthcare post MVA. Car accidents can be a very difficult thing to recover from if not properly treated.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

i'd be only to lucky to say 'to wigged out'   since there's no fix for my  herniated disc  (lumbar)  at least i'd still have a choice  .her questions speak loud of a total lack of understanding of therapeutic healing , and would only change from necessity. it wouldn't matter to me if it were a martian if I knew it could help ,at least with the dumb questions there was an admission.

While I see where your coming from I don't entirely agree based on circumstance. I believe Cramarossa is from America, and there is a much different take on massage south of the border. There is a strict governing bored of massage therapy in Canada. I had 2.5 years of training and need to keep up to date in different continuing education to stay registered.  My program was 3000 hours, and in the states program length can vary between 250 and 1000 hours. At the high end they leave the program with 1/3 of the experience and qualifications that I graduated with.

I have American family, so I know massage is widely misunderstood south of us. There is also the stigma of massage 'parlors' down south that are anything but therapeutic. In many cases, people are not really sure of what Massage Therapy entails because they have never been introduced to it in a professional manner.

• 2 months later...
On 21/05/2018 at 8:52 PM, HI5 said:

Well deserved, from what I read in the article.

There is a very important therapeutic relationship formed between a therapist and a patient. No therapist should be crossing any lines with a patient. The article stated he was having relations with his girlfriend/patient in the treatment room. My assumption, based off experience, says that she was likely coming in due to health benefits through work (since a very large majority of those who seek treatment have coverage to do so). All in all, that means her insurance or her employer was literally paying her boyfriend for a bootycall. That is wrong on so many levels.

The article also stated that the therapist was failing to keep records of the treatments, another big no no. As health care professionals we are obligated to hold the records of each treatments for 7 years past the treatment date. The therapist likely knew he was breaking rules and acted accordingly by omitting the record keeping process.

A big old fine seems fair to me.