The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think anyone believes that Baer is a 1st line W, but most see him as a 2nd, which means he has value.  If he is not playing for the Canucks, it will mean that he was traded for a player/pic that is a better fit on the team.  Goldy is still a work in progress and I agree that he will probably not make the NHL as a Canuck.  I don't think he has much value in a trade.

Eriksson has a terrible contract, but he is still a versatile player that provides the coach with many options. 

Leipsic has a lot to prove if he wants to avoid waivers.  14 games is not much of a sample size to show that he can play an entire season with the same energy or scoring ability.  Does management go all in with Leips at the expense of another player?

Other than Pettersson and maybe Hughes (i think he goes back to college), I don't see any other prospects making the jump at the beginning of the season.  Perhaps Juolevi later in the season.

Agree... 

Wouldn't have a problem with Hughes and even Pettersson not playing until next year. For the record I do believe Pettersson will play.

We still need 1 more top six player, hopefully a top line player, before we start to show off. We are now so far along the lines of a new team, that we may just as well get a full house. 

I love what is happening here, and It will only get better. A fair few of the players coming up through the system will not be on our team, as there is simply not room, but they will make good additions to future trades. Pending on how this season unfolds we may have to use some of them in trades to get our top six player, be it C or LW.

The option of two top lines with BB, BH, EP and the extra one, mixed into two top lines or 1 power line, and then add Dahlen, JV, Lind, Jasek, Gadjovic etc into the mix.

I'm drooling with the prospect Even though 1 or 2 of them may make way in a deal to get out top line LW/C... (unless we get a big FA signing)

This is, what we've been dreaming of for years, and the dream is slowly becoming reality. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

We still need 1 more top six player, hopefully a top line player, before we start to show off. We are now so far along the lines of a new team, that we may just as well get a full house. 

I think Dahlen's going to be one of the other top 6 guys personally.

IMO, the future pairs are:

____, Pettersson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, ____

Who fills out those remaining wings will get sorted out over the next couple years between Goldobin, Lind, Virtanen, Gadjovich, Gaudette etc or some as yet drafted/traded for/signed player.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think Dahlen's going to be one of the other top 6 guys personally.

IMO, the future pairs are:

____, Pettersson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, ____

Who fills out those remaining wings will get sorted out over the next couple years between Goldobin, Lind, Virtanen, Gadjovich, Gaudette etc or some as yet drafted/traded for/signed player.

Yes I expect likewise. 

However if they get to draft a 1C, I can see EP move to RW instead, and as you say the final place will be between the aforementioned or some trade/FA player.

But just looking at that group... surely there is a cracking 3rd line there and still enough for part of a trade.

This I did not expect 2-3 years ago. Hoped for, but did not expect...especially after dropping in every single lottery.

I'm one delighted supporter.

Another year or two JB and Green will start to know, what we've got, and this team will start progressing. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I'd be more inclined to say that given prior chemistry that Dahlen will play with Pettersson.

Once they are fully developed:

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Lind/JV

Dahlen Hughes Pettersson

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

:frantic:

• Cheers 1

Would like to see him bring out that edgy/agitating side of his game.

Purely alone skill wise, I don't think he does anything extra special compared to what Goldobin, Baertschi could bring on the left side.  However, Leiper was advertised to be someone that can agitate the opposition, get under their skin, and be a pest.  I want to see that part of Leipsic.  That is what I was looking forward to when we acquired him.

if Leiper can add that pesky element, it will make himself a lot more distinguishable.   He does have an inside track for sure, with his prior relationship with Green. That will give him the benefit of the doubt at an extra look here and there, but he has to make the most of them and be noticable.  You could even see how the deployment was during the final stretch that Travis Green preferred to use him as a "Role player" on an energy line with Sutter/Gaudette and Virtanen over than putting him with Horvat and Goldobin. 

I just feel that there are already guys who have better offensive skills then him, and players coming up eventually who are also better offensive players than Leipsic.  He needs to round out his game and be prepared to play a less offensive role, and likely that is how he will most likely deployed.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Would like to see him bring out that edgy/agitating side of his game.

Purely alone skill wise, I don't think he does anything extra special compared to what Goldobin, Baertschi could bring on the left side.  However, Leiper was advertised to be someone that can agitate the opposition, get under their skin, and be a pest.  I want to see that part of Leipsic.  That is what I was looking forward to when we acquired him.

if Leiper can add that pesky element, it will make himself a lot more distinguishable.   He does have an inside track for sure, with his prior relationship with Green. That will give him the benefit of the doubt at an extra look here and there, but he has to make the most of them and be noticable.  You could even see how the deployment was during the final stretch that Travis Green preferred to use him as a "Role player" on an energy line with Sutter/Gaudette and Virtanen over than putting him with Horvat and Goldobin. 

I just feel that there are already guys who have better offensive skills then him, and players coming up eventually who are also better offensive players than Leipsic.  He needs to round out his game and be prepared to play a less offensive role, and likely that is how he will most likely deployed.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. He's hard-pressed to carve out an offensive career here unless he takes the Burrows route. He'll likely fit best as an energy bottom six guy.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. He's hard-pressed to carve out an offensive career here unless he takes the Burrows route. He'll likely fit best as an energy bottom six guy.

The 'nice' thing about Leipsic is that while he could certainly be fighting for our current 1LW spot this year in something similar to a Burrows role, as we get more, better players online over the next couple years, he can also slide down to 2nd or 3rd line roles. 

• Upvote 1

Echo the sentiment of the last 2 posters.  I see him as being a Hansen-type player who can move through the lineup as required.  I previously felt Granlund was kind of that type of player, but I feel Leipsic brings that agitation and energy that Granlund does not so he is more appropriate for the role.

• Upvote 3

I think that currently Liepsic is a bit weak as a 1st line winger.  That said, he has the skillset to allow him to fit in on a number of different line styles, so he can be a pretty decent player on at least two of the remaining three line combinations or slot in on the 1st line if needed.  I don't see him being a great choice for a shutdown line, but even there could make a workable backup if needed due to injuries etc.

Edit to add:

Forgot to mention that I think LIepsic still has some upside and could develop into solid top line player, but it might take a couple of years if it happens at all.

Edited by RogersTowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There is a good blog in the Province today by Ben Kuzma on Brendan Leipsic that is a nice balanced article without all the negativity that we have become so accustomed to seeing from the sports journalists in this paper.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-leipsic-blocking-out-noise-to-get-nhl-career-established-with-canucks

Here you go.

• Upvote 1