The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

We're going to have a lot of options for insanely irritating bottom six line combinations in the future.

I love it.

Now we just need to draft some more high end talent to back it up.

That high end talent is certainly coming. Pettersson, Boeser, this years draft pick etc. 

• Like 1

His numbers aren't very impressive at all. He's also a pretty "old" prospect. But he seems to be more of a two way player than an offensive contributor. Looks like he could eventually work his way into our bottom-6 at some point. Maybe a faster version of Gaunce for the future. 

Here are some highlights I found:

The goal at 1:58 actually really impressed me when I saw it in the Plays of the Year countdown and I couldn't understand why it wasn't ranked higher (I think it was in between 50-40). He picks the puck up at high speed there and is able to finish off the goal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

His numbers aren't very impressive at all. He's also a pretty "old" prospect. But he seems to be more of a two way player than an offensive contributor. Looks like he could eventually work his way into our bottom-6 at some point. Maybe a faster version of Gaunce for the future. 

The goal at 1:58 actually really impressed me when I saw it in the Plays of the Year countdown and I couldn't understand why it wasn't ranked higher (I think it was in between 50-40). He picks the puck up at high speed there and is able to finish off the goal. 

I think he has the potential to be like Gaunce, with a bit more foot-speed and offensive ability. He wont ever be a world beater in the offensive end, but I think he has the more ability of the two.

Motte also seems to be someone who thrives playing with good players. That may sound stupid, but it's helpful when you have injuries and have to move somebody like him up your lineup.

22 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

It seems to be taking him a bit of time to adjust to the pro game. The numbers he put up in his last year of college a couple years ago were impressive, and he seems to be putting it together at the AHL level now.

49 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He kind of seems slow to my eyes.  He does go to dirty areas though.  I like Lipsic better.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think that's they key point. Not every move we make is going to be for a "core" piece, so to speak. Complimentary players are also important, and finding the right mix of complimentary players is going to be one of the keys to turning this thing around, which is why I don't mind the glut of mid level young players we have either on the team or in our system.

And yeah, between Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, Virtanen, Leipsic, Motte and Lockwood, we certainly do have some grit in the system that should be coming through pretty soon.

The Lockwood Twins :)

2 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Interesting player to have in the system.

I believe there's more to his game than his stats show, maybe not offensively, but there seems to be some potential there for a good third liner with a bit of chippiness to his game. He's not a tall dude, but looking at his weight he is pretty stocky.

Agreed. 12 points in 60+ NHL games isn't good but he destroyed the NCAA

I also think Benning is insulating himself for next year if the twins don’t resign. You need to ice a competitive roster, and at least these guys can play on In the nhl. Both have upside and it will be interesting to see what kind of offence they bring to the team to end this season. Both of them have to see we will have some major openings next year they will be playing for top positions, pretty motivating if you ask me. Benning has created some good competition for next years roster. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Motte overly impressed...Motte saying he won't make it but looks like a slightly more aggressive Boucher to me....so ...motte  sure at all about this one....

If Boucher had the hustle and defensive awareness of Motte he'd probably be a full time NHLer.

Where Motte has to get to now is gaining consistency in his offensive game so he can be an effective third liner.

• Cheers 1