The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Not crazy at all, in fact I predict he sneaks into the top 6 next season if they are gonna have Miller centering a line. Enough of this pigeon holeing of Motte being just this 3rd line energy guy. Hes blossomed ever since last season, took his game to another level in the bubble and had he been healthy was on pace for 20 goals-ish. Thats top 6 production by our standards so I don't see why he can't work his way up the lineup

Hm, if Motte can stay healthy while still playing like every game is his last - which he needs to do to be effective -  and that's a big if, he's definitely a good 3rd liner on a contending team. Don't see him in the top 6, but then again, he was a profilic scorer on lower levels so you never know.

As for the Highmore/Lockwood comparisons, I'd say Motte is a better player by far. Both Lockwood (especially him since we don't have a good grasp on his ceiling yet) and Highmore has room to grow though, but the most likely ceiling for both IMO is 4th line.

23 hours ago, lmm said:

Hey MLL how do you like this one?

Don’t think the league would allow it.

McDonagh turns 32 next week and has 5 years left after this one at 6.75M.  Losing him to expansion would help them clear much needed cap space.  Not sure how valued Foote actually is but they could also decide to protect 4 Ds. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Don’t think the league would allow it.

McDonagh turns 32 next week and has 5 years left after this one at 6.75M.  Losing him to expansion would help them clear much needed cap space.  Not sure how valued Foote actually is but they could also decide to protect 4 Ds. 

I was wondering about the legality

given all the deals made with expansion teams lately, I don't see why they couldn't, but I could also see the Canucks losing draft picks if they tried that type of manouvre

do you know of any rules that would prohibit such trades or would this come as a presidents choice type slapdown?

Just now, lmm said:

I was wondering about the legality

given all the deals made with expansion teams lately, I don't see why they couldn't, but I could also see the Canucks losing draft picks if they tried that type of manouvre

do you know of any rules that would prohibit such trades or would this come as a presidents choice type slapdown?

It goes against the spirit of expansion.  Not sure if there is a formal rule but would expect some kind of penalty if teams try it.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 5/28/2021 at 6:37 PM, lmm said:

what is it about Motte that he requires protecting?

I would be willing to lose one of Motte, Lind, Juolevi or Schmidt

Is it possible to rent out protection spaces?

(are there rules against that?)

that is the route I would like to see them go

1 hour ago, mll said:

It goes against the spirit of expansion.  Not sure if there is a formal rule but would expect some kind of penalty if teams try it.

If you're Chicago, TB or LA I'm sure you could do whatever you like and the league would turn a blind eye

If you're Vancouver you can bet the league would put them under the microscope and apply any and all  punishments applicable. 

Ask me if I think there's a double standard going on........

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

15 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Not crazy at all, in fact I predict he sneaks into the top 6 next season if they are gonna have Miller centering a line. Enough of this pigeon holeing of Motte being just this 3rd line energy guy. Hes blossomed ever since last season, took his game to another level in the bubble and had he been healthy was on pace for 20 goals-ish. Thats top 6 production by our standards so I don't see why he can't work his way up the lineup

A guy like Chandler Stephenson is another example of a career bottom six player who is flourishing in the top six/nine once given the chance.  I think Motte just needs to be given the opportunity to play higher up in the line up.  Just like Burrows was given that opportunity. 

The thing that I hear scouts speak more of lately is a player's ability to make plays when the stress level goes up.  Like Burrows, Motte's play elevates when the pressure to perform rises.  I truly believe Motte would respond well to the pressure of playing with Petey and Boeser.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 1

Maybe. Motte often seems to be a little slow to react from a scoring perspective. He's missed passes soooo many times.

Not sure added ice time and better linemates is going to make him a legit top six fit, and I think Motte's worth remains as a bottom 6 guy where he's proven he's effective player. Yes, we could use another top 6 guy (and perhaps even 2 in am ideal world) but Motte is a temporary solution at best. 

Motte is exactly what most teams are looking for on their bottom six. 

I hope players like Lockwood and Yasek get a shot next year. 

Lind and Fockt are two others. 

Green wants to play a fast paced energy game. He has never had the horses to play like that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Motte is exactly what most teams are looking for on their bottom six. 

I hope players like Lockwood and Yasek get a shot next year. 

Lind and Fockt are two others. 

Green wants to play a fast paced energy game. He has never had the horses to play like that.

Yes. However, Green has full input on what players he wants on his roster. You're telling me all this time that Benning constructs his team that Green didn't sign off on it?

The problem of the bottom 6 not producing is just as much of a Benning problem as it is a Green one, if we had to be perfectly fair. Green obviously has an idea of what he wants from his bottom 6. The problem is that the personnel didn't perform as expected (sometimes due to injury), and the players are overpaid.

Enough Benning blaming. Green HAS to be accountable, and now he has a defensive coach helping him in Shaw.

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Yes. However, Green has full input on what players he wants on his roster. You're telling me all this time that Benning constructs his team that Green didn't sign off on it?

The problem of the bottom 6 not producing is just as much of a Benning problem as it is a Green one, if we had to be perfectly fair. Green obviously has an idea of what he wants from his bottom 6. The problem is that the personnel didn't perform as expected (sometimes due to injury), and the players are overpaid.

Enough Benning blaming. Green HAS to be accountable, and now he has a defensive coach helping him in Shaw.

I think Green and Jim are and have always been on the same page.

Putting a team together takes a while. Plus the league changes continually.  What worked 7 years ago may not work now.

If you look at the players they have been drafting you can see the theme of speed and intensity. 

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

I think Motte should play on 3rd line some nights.. I like Motte's game better the Pearson right now...Motte is much faster and given ice time comparisons ... 

Motte 4th line PK avg 14-15 minss 24 GP-- 6 G -- 4th line sometimes 3rd line with injuries -- Would be nice to see how Motte does playing with more talented players..

Pearson 2nd line some PP -- 51 GP  --- 11 G

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

I think Motte should play on 3rd line some nights.. I like Motte's game better the Pearson right now...Motte is much faster and given ice time comparisons ... 

Motte 4th line PK avg 14-15 minss 24 GP-- 6 G -- 4th line sometimes 3rd line with injuries -- Would be nice to see how Motte does playing with more talented players..

Pearson 2nd line some PP -- 51 GP  --- 11 G

Motte is a amazing bottom 6 player that brings everything you’d ever want from a bottom 6 player. In my mind protecting him  in the expansion draft was a must. But just saying oh look at goals to games ratio isn’t a good way to look at Mottes production. Unfortunately I don’t think motte is consistent enough score to move into the top 6. And people who look at Pearson from this year aren’t getting a good look at his body of work he didn’t score much this year but did create a good amount of chances that went as empty calories. 

But to put it bluntly we SUCKED this season and with the way our team has been revamped you will for sure see production increase from everyone soupy based off we are a better team.

Side note, still Think the Canucks schedule was the most brutal sports schedule I’ve ever seen.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...