The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I actually like this news. An extra fwd we don't need to waive. Gadj for example, could get claimed. JB's draft-handiwork is likely drawing secret yearnings from some hapless(drafting dud) GM's. They'd like to sneak their bucket into JB's endless well.

Run with Highmore for an extra wk or two. Squeeze JG in for a game(or few) to see if his speed has picked up. If he's noticeably sluggish, he'll likely waltz through waivers a wk / (s) into the season.

We all KNOW what Motte delivers. His brand will be useful, the last 60-70 tilts. If this 4th line omission would make/break our squad, then we simply aren't ready yet.

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He’s still a week away.

It's also because they wouldn't have the cap space to recall Petan otherwise.  With Hamonic activated they only had 75K left in cap space.  Putting Motte on LTIR increased their cap space to 1.3M.  With Petan recalled, CapFriendly now shows them with 550K in cap space.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

In his 2nd game back in the lineup, Motte is the highest mover up the all-time Canuck scoring list, into 190th.

189.  Marek Malik D 147 10 27 37
190.  Tyler Motte C 149 21 15 36
191.  Brad Gassoff LW 122 19 17 36
192.  Nils Hoglander RW 73 18 18 36
193.  Alex Biega D 179 4 32 36

• 1 month later...

Motte's apple today puts him into 178th in all-time Canuck scoring

177.  Josef Beranek LW 98 14 27 41
178.  Tyler Motte C 167 24 16 40
179.  Nils Hoglander RW 91 21 19 40
180.  Dave Lowry LW 165 19 21 40
181.  Jim Nill RW 124 17 23 40
  • Like 1

With four points in his last three games, we're seeing the offensive side of Motte we've seen a few times sporadically during his time in Vancouver again. Would be on pace for a career-high 27-point season if he could play all 82 games, but even if he plays just the rest of the season for 67 total games, he's on pace for 13 goals and 22 points, which would still be a career-best.

33 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

With four points in his last three games, we're seeing the offensive side of Motte we've seen a few times sporadically during his time in Vancouver again. Would be on pace for a career-high 27-point season if he could play all 82 games, but even if he plays just the rest of the season for 67 total games, he's on pace for 13 goals and 22 points, which would still be a career-best.

How much is 27 points worth? 

18 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How much is 27 points worth? 

No idea, but fortunately, offense is just icing on the cake for Motter's game. He's more about energy and hard checking, much like Hansen or a young Matt Cooke.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

No idea, but fortunately, offense is just icing on the cake for Motter's game. He's more about energy and hard checking, much like Hansen or a young Matt Cooke.

I like Motte. I hope we can retain him and keep him around. He’s a great bottom six player.

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:43 PM, wildcam said:

I think Motte should play on 3rd line some nights.. I like Motte's game better the Pearson right now...Motte is much faster and given ice time comparisons ... 

Motte 4th line PK avg 14-15 minss 24 GP-- 6 G -- 4th line sometimes 3rd line with injuries -- Would be nice to see how Motte does playing with more talented players..

Pearson 2nd line some PP -- 51 GP  --- 11 G

Im not sure if hes been better than Pearson, but defintely deserving above the other useless idiots we have on our roster like Dickenson and Chiasson. I don't know why Motte isn't given a chance to be in the top 9

Edited by filthycanuck

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im not sure if hes been better than Pearson, but defintely deserving above the other useless idiots we have on our roster like Dickenson and Chiasson. I don't know why Motte isn't given a chance to be in the top 9

Yeah. I’d love to see Motte be given a top 9 opportunity. Maybe not a top six role, cause I think that’s out of his skill set. But third line, middle winger? Why not experiment with that. 

And. I’m curious to see what kind of Coach Bruce and Canucks team we get this second half of the season. The first 10 games understandably the team played great under a new coach. But here on out will be curious…

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I’d love to see Motte be given a top 9 opportunity. Maybe not a top six role, cause I think that’s out of his skill set. But third line, middle winger? Why not experiment with that. 

And. I’m curious to see what kind of Coach Bruce and Canucks team we get this second half of the season. The first 10 games understandably the team played great under a new coach. But here on out will be curious…

I dunno, Burrows came out of nowhere to link up with the Sedins, the rest was history. Im not saying the same thing is going to happen, if it does, thats awesome, but Motte is well deserved of that opportunity to at least be in the top 9. Seems like hes just been pegged as just a 4th liner, but I think theres more there and he proved it in the bubble. Right now though, i think Bruce will ride that 4th line, they've been very good the last handful of games. Hopefully they can keep it up, Highmore and Lammikko are playing well, any reason to have Alex Chiasson stapled to the pressbox, im all for it because the guy has been straight up garbage.

15 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I dunno, Burrows came out of nowhere to link up with the Sedins, the rest was history. Im not saying the same thing is going to happen, if it does, thats awesome, but Motte is well deserved of that opportunity to at least be in the top 9. Seems like hes just been pegged as just a 4th liner, but I think theres more there and he proved it in the bubble. Right now though, i think Bruce will ride that 4th line, they've been very good the last handful of games. Hopefully they can keep it up, Highmore and Lammikko are playing well, any reason to have Alex Chiasson stapled to the pressbox, im all for it because the guy has been straight up garbage.

I think Burrows becoming what he was, was a slim to no chance. I don't know if Motte has the talent to replicate something that Burrows did consistently. I think also there has to be chemistry that Burr had with both Daniel and Hank as well. Those two consistently found Burrows. So many of his goals were tap ins because of how well the Sedins passed the puck, and got Burrows the puck. 

I don't see anyone with that amount of skill set right now on the team. We have some very good players, but nothing of Hank or Daniel's calibre. 

I don't disagree with you that Motte at the very least deserves at the very least a middle six forward opportunity, and see what he can do there. Maybe even some games in the top six to see if he can produce. If he can, what a win that would be, but I'm seeing at most, a middle six player.