The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

For the positive and negative leaning Canuck fans, the one area in which we can all be unrealistically positive is the 'shiny new toy' department.

Dane Fox or Tyler Motte, it doesn't matter, for a short while they will be leading us to our first SC. Once reality sets in they will find their true place in the toy cupboard, Dane Fox is stuck behind the Mackenze Stewart action figure in the furthest, darkest parts of the cupboard.

As of today, Tyler Motte is at the front of the cupboard. A favourite. For how long ? Hopefully he'll be there when we hoist that big shiny cup !

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sometimes the only way to respond to obtuse is being moreso.   

Cheers!   ::D

Not sure what was "obtuse" about the post you quoted. Motte isn't nearly as dynamic of a player as Connor. Anyone who has watched both players will tell you the same. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Not sure what was "obtuse" about the post you quoted. Motte isn't nearly as dynamic of a player as Connor. Anyone who has watched both players will tell you the same. 

I don’t disagree with the talent comparison.   That wasn’t my point.   The obtuse one will know full well the point made - and will predictable not concur.:)

Cheers

3 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

For the positive and negative leaning Canuck fans, the one area in which we can all be unrealistically positive is the 'shiny new toy' department.

Dane Fox or Tyler Motte, it doesn't matter, for a short while they will be leading us to our first SC. Once reality sets in they will find their true place in the toy cupboard, Dane Fox is stuck behind the Mackenze Stewart action figure in the furthest, darkest parts of the cupboard.

As of today, Tyler Motte is at the front of the cupboard. A favourite. For how long ? Hopefully he'll be there when we hoist that big shiny cup !

To be fair, Motte's a FAR better skater than Fox. Now the Connor comparison is clearly *ahem* 'optimistic', to put it kindly, but the kid can play hockey, has great wheels, a good motor and a solid 2 way game. No reason he can't be a solid bottom 6 player for us and still have room to grow and imrprove in that role.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don’t disagree with the talent comparison.   That wasn’t my point.   The obtuse one will know full well the point made - and will predictable not concur.:)

Cheers

I wouldn't be so sure of that...

20 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Can Motte make Dowd redundant??  But I really like Dowd's size and grit.

I've been surprised that Dowd has been sitting, Imho I thought we was showing the battle level, play away from the puck and physical play the coach green seems to demand from most players. Have not noticed and major defensive weekness, good back checker. But my goodness those hands are not snipers hands, how many great chances did he have an not bury them...

life goes on as a canucks fan

go canucks go

On 3/2/2018 at 6:11 AM, SingleThorn said:

I don't think anyone believed Dane Fox was going to lead anyone anywhere or that Tyler Motte will do that either.   You need 20 plus NHL players on an active roster and more than that in professional leagues in the wings to push those given the NHL opportunity.   You don't win a Stanley Cup with one or two players and there isn't a team in the NHL who doesn't work to build a solid foundation of players like Tyler Motte in addition to the stars.   Motte had a strong college career and has shown signs of being a decent professional - no harm and testing this out further and if it doesn't work, it hardly harms the longer term vision for the team.

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Motte still needs to be a scratch for 2 or 3 games this year otherwise he will NEED to clear waivers next fall.

I hope our management and coach know this and sit him so he can go down to Utica next fall if need be.

I am more than 100% sure your management knows the waiver rules and status of each player.   If Motte is good enough to be in the NHL for your team, this is moot.   If he isn't, not sure there will be a massive line up at the door for players the Canucks waive.  It has been a long time since a waived Canuck was claimed by anyone and next fall most teams have full rosters and no room anyway.   This fear of waivers is an odd thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am more than 100% sure your management knows the waiver rules and status of each player.   If Motte is good enough to be in the NHL for your team, this is moot.   If he isn't, not sure there will be a massive line up at the door for players the Canucks waive.  It has been a long time since a waived Canuck was claimed by anyone and next fall most teams have full rosters and no room anyway.   This fear of waivers is an odd thing.

Its not a fear, its the fact that high chance Motte will get beat out for a nhl roster spot by Gaudette/EP/Dahlen. So while we already have Goldobin as a waiver player next fall if we still have him, to me it doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team to risk a bottom 6 guy like Motte to have to be put in that spot when we clearly can sit him for a couple games and slot in Goldobin/Dowd/Jokinen as a precaution to protecting him for next year.

Motte is not a game changer, I like his energy, been decent on the pk and forecheck. Would be a good player to slot down in Utica next year and be a call up if he gets beat out of a spot by a younger more skilled prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Its not a fear, its the fact that high chance Motte will get beat out for a nhl roster spot by Gaudette/EP/Dahlen. So while we already have Goldobin as a waiver player next fall if we still have him, to me it doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team to risk a bottom 6 guy like Motte to have to be put in that spot when we clearly can sit him for a couple games and slot in Goldobin/Dowd/Jokinen as a precaution to protecting him for next year.

Motte is not a game changer, I like his energy, been decent on the pk and forecheck. Would be a good player to slot down in Utica next year and be a call up if he gets beat out of a spot by a younger more skilled prospect.

If you are worried about losing a player to waivers when you are in a rebuild as a 28th place team, how will you handle it when you have a really competitive team again.  Like I said, name a Canuck lost to waivers over the past few years you really miss and who has made a big difference to the depth of the prospect pool.  

16 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Other than maybe Gaudette, Motte isn't really competing with those other guys IMO. If anything, guys like Gagner, Eriksson and Gaunce need to stay on their toes.

And IMO, unless the light bulb turns on, Goldobin isn't on the team next fall whether that's by trade, waivers or otherwise. 

I think people also underestimate how much Benning is likely to alter the team this summer. 

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other than maybe Gaudette, Motte isn't really competing with those other guys IMO. If anything, guys like Gagner, Eriksson and Gaunce need to stay on their toes.

And IMO, unless the light bulb turns on, Goldobin isn't on the team next fall whether that's by trade, waivers or otherwise. 

I think people also underestimate how much Benning is likely to alter the team this summer. 

I hope JB alters the team this year. Make a big trade at the draft, try to swap out Goldobin for Sikura maybe? Ship out a D for a draft pick.

I dont know how many of these guys we should keep for next season: Motte, Gaunce, Archibald & Dowd. Dowd has the upper hand as playing C and being right handed but he is the oldest. Gaunce has moved to wing, decent pk guy but minimal scoring. Archibald, Gaunce & Motte are fighting for maybe the 12 & 13th spot next year. But that depends on a few things, the Sedins, who we target in FA and what prospects step up big time next fall.

If we handle Motte properly to end this season it makes things easier as he can go and start in Utica. Otherwise if he earns a spot in camp and beats out say Gaunce then he would have to get waived. Not a high chance any Canuck would get claimed unless we still had Goldobin, then he would for sure get picked up.

I like what Motte has brought, wouldn't mind seeing him get some ice with the Twins to be honest. Goes hard after the puck, decent 2 way game. Put the kid in a spot to succeed like they did with Leipsic. Don't have much to lose by doing that, Jokinen could slide down to play with Sutter.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I certainly hope we aren't, whether or not the Sedins return.  Either Sedins don't return and we bring in at least a couple rookies and UFA, or they return and we move out some players to change the mix around them.  The alternative is essentially the same forwards as this past season, save a different Vanek and maybe an Archibald.

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I certainly hope we aren't, whether or not the Sedins return.  Either Sedins don't return and we bring in at least a couple rookies and UFA, or they return and we move out some players to change the mix around them.  The alternative is essentially the same forwards as this past season, save a different Vanek and maybe an Archibald.

Our D could use a good shake up, we need to get rid of at least 1 lhd before camp. I am hoping we take a run at Carlson from Washington if he becomes a FA. Could be a nice replacement to our D core if we move Tanev for a nice return at the draft too

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

'People' as in all those 'people' you and I keep having to argue with HW ;)