The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

For what it is worth, apparently Motte has had a monster camp to date and was about as fit as anyone not named Beagle.  NO ONE seems to be talking about him but he could be a darkhorse to make the team out of camp.    Not sure why people don't follow this kid more - had a great NCAA career including a massive final year and has 9 NHL goals in a disjointed full season of 8-12 minute games over his short career.   Kid has speed, uses size well and skates nearly as well as Jake.    

I think he will be a bubble (personal projection) and one of the first back if waived to Utica.   I also think he will move past a few more "notable" names on depth chart if he remains in the Canuck organization post the start of the season.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

For what it is worth, apparently Motte has had a monster camp to date and was about as fit as anyone not named Beagle.  NO ONE seems to be talking about him but he could be a darkhorse to make the team out of camp.    Not sure why people don't follow this kid more - had a great NCAA career including a massive final year and has 9 NHL goals in a disjointed full season of 8-12 minute games over his short career.   Kid has speed, uses size well and skates nearly as well as Jake.    

I think he will be a bubble (personal projection) and one of the first back if waived to Utica.   I also think he will move past a few more "notable" names on depth chart if he remains in the Canuck organization post the start of the season.

Motte actually has 1 more game before becoming waiver eligible IIRC and I’m thinking the team will use that to their full advantage and start him in utica. He most definitely will get a call up at some point though perhaps after benning makes a trade or two.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

55 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Motte actually has 1 more game before becoming waiver eligible IIRC and I’m thinking the team will use that to their full advantage and start him in utica. He most definitely will get a call up at some point though perhaps after benning makes a trade or two.

Yeah his one game waivers exemption likely 'screws' him. I quite like Motte and it would be pretty funny if he's one of the young guys who makes a Granlund etc expendable (or 'steals' Leipsic's spot) given the lack of fanfare around him compared to the likes of Goldobin/Leipsic/Dahlen/Gaudette.

He might not make the club out of camp by I wouldn't be surprised to see him up here sooner than later once Benning makes some 'cleanup' trades, injuries hit etc.

Edited by aGENT

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah his one game waivers exemption likely 'screws' him. I quite like Motte and it would be pretty funny if he's one of the young guys who makes a Granlund etc expendable (or 'steals' Leipsic's spot) given the lack of fanfare around him compared to the likes of Goldobin/Leipsic/Dahlen/Gaudette.

He might not make the club out of camp by I wouldn't be surprised to see him up here sooner than later once Benning makes some 'cleanup' trades, injuries hit etc.

This fact might make him the 'easiest to trade' of all the bubble players. Might work well for a team wanting depth but not wanting to gamble on sending a player through waivers.

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

This fact might make him the 'easiest to trade' of all the bubble players. Might work well for a team wanting depth but not wanting to gamble on sending a player through waivers.

Do we want to trade him though...?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Do we want to trade him though...?

Not me. I thought he looked good last year, but he was definitely a bottom 6 ( probably 4th line ) player. I think the team this year is being build around the bottom 6 and Motte just doesn't make it. Gaunce/ Archibald would probably be the depth guys for that group. MacEwen/ Gadjovich later in the season. JB may view him as a wasted asset in Utica.

7 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Not me. I thought he looked good last year, but he was definitely a bottom 6 ( probably 4th line ) player. I think the team this year is being build around the bottom 6 and Motte just doesn't make it. Gaunce/ Archibald would probably be the depth guys for that group. MacEwen/ Gadjovich later in the season. JB may view him as a wasted asset in Utica.

I could see Motte outplay his competition for 4RW. Schaller, Beagle, Motte would be a GREAT 4th line IMO.

But with the waiver status I think he's likely first call up for an injury there until other moves are made.

Gaunce and Archibald would be hard pressed to earn spare (13/14F) slots at this point given the competition and # of bodies ahead of them. Barring an all-world camp from either, they're Utica bound IMO.

Just now, aGENT said:

I could see Motte outplay his competition for 4RW. Schaller, Beagle, Motte would be a GREAT 4th line IMO.

But with the waiver status I think he's likely first call up for an injury there until other moves are made.

Gaunce and Archibald would be hard pressed to earn spare (13/14F) slots at this point given the competition and # of bodies ahead of them. Barring an all-world camp from either, they're Utica bound IMO.

I'm a Gaunce fan, but do see this duo ( Gaunce/ Archibald ) going to Utica. I think the 13th spot will go to a top 6 type of player ( Gagner, Goldobin ) I'm not advocating for moving Motte, I just think that his waiver status gives him value and JB might want to use that value.

• Cheers 1

He was very noticeable out there last night but needs to continue to build on that throughout the preseason. I still expect that he will be sent to Utica at the start of the season because of asset management but should be a top consideration for a call up if moves get made to the roster either through trades or due to longer term injuries that free up a roster spot for someone with his skills and attributes.

He certainly has been noticeable because he has great wheels and seems to be working hard.  What I have seen in the past and continue to see is poor hands.  In 79 NHL games he has a total of 14 points.

In pro hockey {NHL / AHL} he has not been able to generate many points and that has been the biggest knock on him.  So given that and limited size [5'10"], I much prefer a player like Gaunce [6'2"] who has at least proven at the AHL he can produce points and has the size and proven defensive awareness at the NHL level to be effective.  Easy guy to cheer for but I just don't see him in the NHL in the near future.

2 hours ago, Stormriders said:

He certainly has been noticeable because he has great wheels and seems to be working hard.  What I have seen in the past and continue to see is poor hands.  In 79 NHL games he has a total of 14 points.

In pro hockey {NHL / AHL} he has not been able to generate many points and that has been the biggest knock on him.  So given that and limited size [5'10"], I much prefer a player like Gaunce [6'2"] who has at least proven at the AHL he can produce points and has the size and proven defensive awareness at the NHL level to be effective.  Easy guy to cheer for but I just don't see him in the NHL in the near future.

It's a small sample size, but in 19 AHL games last year, he scored 9 goals, which is pretty dang good. That said, his assists were very low at just 2, so your point still largely stands. 

I actually like to see Leipsic-Petterson-Motte as the second line. I hate the idea of having Eriksson on the RW as he is pretty useless since signing here. 

Motte can be the guy that chases and gets the puck to Petterson and Leipsic. Leipsic and Petterson seems to read off each other pretty well so I like to see the third guy help get them the puck.