The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm not going to lie - I wasn't too big on Motte last year.  I thought he was a fringe NHLer who really didn't bring all that much to the table.

This season though, he's working his ass off and is probably the only moderately talented guy we have on our team who is actually turning heads and earning his position.

I'm in the exact same position. He's really surprised me so far.

• Upvote 1

i agree and see motte as our future 4th line checker who could fill in higher up, but can see him sent down until they can clear a spot for him. 

moving motte and archibald down, leaves only one cut to make when roussel returns. there will probably be injuries by then. 

we have 4 or 5 placeholders up front. we have many more on defense. 

• Upvote 1

Not gonna lie, I was pretty upset about the lack of value we got from Vanek at the time of the trade. But boy has Motte ever looked good so far this preseason. It's a shame he'll be in Utica while less deserving guys stay on the NHL roster cause of waivers. I really hope management rewards this guy by starting him here, but I can see him going down. Hopefully he stays the course and keeps up his hard work in Utica, if he should start there. He should be the first name called in the event of injuries.

51 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not gonna lie, I was pretty upset about the lack of value we got from Vanek at the time of the trade. But boy has Motte ever looked good so far this preseason. It's a shame he'll be in Utica while less deserving guys stay on the NHL roster cause of waivers. I really hope management rewards this guy by starting him here, but I can see him going down. Hopefully he stays the course and keeps up his hard work in Utica, if he should start there. He should be the first name called in the event of injuries.

I think his age was a big factor in what JB was able to get for him as he was 34 at the TDL. Had Vanek been ten years younger JB probably would have gotten a 2nd rounder for him. All in all I think JB getting Motte was a fair trade considering Vanek was a declining asset vs Motte as an appreciating one.

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think his age was a big factor in what JB was able to get for him as he was 34 at the TDL. Had Vanek been ten years younger JB probably would have gotten a 2nd rounder for him. All in all I think JB getting Motte was a fair trade considering Vanek was a declining asset vs Motte as an appreciating one.

And by all accounts nobody wanted Vanek. Great job JB. Maybe GM's do know more than us. 

This kid really earned his spot so i'm glad Benning didn't crap the bed on this one.
People forget, Motte (105 pts in 107 games NCAA) was a Hobey Baker finalist in 2016 (along with Demko)

Also somewhat unrelated, Tanner Kero was also a Hobey Baker finalist, in 2015

Team is stocking up on winners. 

1 hour ago, fecklund said:

This kid really earned his spot so i'm glad Benning didn't crap the bed on this one.
People forget, Motte (105 pts in 107 games NCAA) was a Hobey Baker finalist in 2016 (along with Demko)

Also somewhat unrelated, Tanner Kero was also a Hobey Baker finalist, in 2015

Team is stocking up on winners. 

There have been a lot of Hobey Baker award winners who have done nothing in the NHL. There have been a few however, who have done well. I hope Motte is the latter.

2000 Mike Mottau Defense Boston College Boston, Massachusetts
2001 Ryan Miller Goaltender Michigan State East Lansing, Michigan
2002 Jordan Leopold Defense Minnesota Golden Valley, Minnesota
2003 Peter Sejna Left Wing Colorado College Liptovský Mikuláš, Czechoslovakia
2004 Junior Lessard Right Wing Minnesota–Duluth Saint-Joseph-de-Beauce, Quebec
2005 Marty Sertich Center Colorado College Roseville, Minnesota
2006 Matt Carle Defense Denver Anchorage, Alaska
2007 Ryan Duncan Left Wing North Dakota Calgary, Alberta
2008 Kevin Porter Center Michigan Northville, Michigan
2009 Matt Gilroy Defense Boston University North Bellmore, New York
2010 Blake Geoffrion Center Wisconsin Plantation, Florida
2011 Andy Miele Left Wing Miami Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
2012 Jack Connolly Center Minnesota–Duluth Duluth, Minnesota
2013 Drew LeBlanc Center St. Cloud State Duluth, Minnesota
2014 Johnny Gaudreau Left Wing Boston College Salem, New Jersey
2015 Jack Eichel Center Boston University North Chelmsford, Massachusetts
2016 Jimmy Vesey Left Wing Harvard Boston, Massachusetts
2017 Will Butcher Defense Denver Madison, Wisconsin
2018 Adam Gaudette Center Northeastern Braintree, Massachusetts

17 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That's a great list.
Only 3 out of those 18 never played a game in the NHL. Some of them obviously ended up being better players than others, but that equates to 83% (using this is a sample)
Those are pretty surefire odds of getting an NHL player should you be fortunate enough to sign one.
Helluva lot better odds than getting a 1st overall pick in the NHL draft, which doesn't guarantee anything either I might add. 

Edited by fecklund
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, fecklund said:

That's a great list.
Only 3 out of those 18 never played a game in the NHL. Some of them obviously ended up being better players than others, but that equates to 83% (using this is a sample)
Those are pretty surefire odds of getting an NHL player should you be fortunate enough to sign one.
Helluva lot better odds than getting a 1st overall pick in the NHL draft, which doesn't guarantee anything either I might add. 

Every winner on that list from the last 5 years I would be delighted to see in Canucks uniforms. The NCAA seems to be getting better and better.

On 10/1/2018 at 5:34 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

On 10/1/2018 at 5:50 PM, fecklund said:

That's a great list.

Hobey baker hype is largely based on the varsity year in which they won. Winning as a senior is kinda like dominating as an overager in junior. Doesnt mean much.

Gaudette won and Motte contended for the Hobey when they were juniors, which in encouraging.