The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] NHL linesman's $10.2M lawsuit against Calgary Flames, Dennis Wideman sent to (league) arbitration

NHL linesman's $10.2M lawsuit against Calgary Flames, Dennis Wideman sent to arbitration

Queen's Bench justice stays lawsuit and rules it is an employment issue

By Meghan Grant, CBC News Posted: Mar 02, 2018 3:23 PM MT Last Updated: Mar 02, 2018 8:52 PM MT

NHL linesman Don Henderson was hit by Calgary Flame Dennis Wideman during the second period of a game in Calgary on Jan. 27, 2016.

NHL linesman Don Henderson was hit by Calgary Flame Dennis Wideman during the second period of a game in Calgary on Jan. 27, 2016. (Jeff McIntosh/Canadian Press)

A $10.2-million lawsuit filed by an NHL linesman against the Calgary Flames and defenceman Dennis Wideman has been stayed by a judge and ordered to be heard by an NHL arbitrator. 

Alberta Court of Queen's Bench Justice Willie deWit made the ruling Friday afternoon after the defendants applied to stay the lawsuit earlier this year.

DeWit agreed with the defendants' position that NHL linesman Don Henderson must abide by the agreement between the NHL and its members — including officials — which says disputes like this one fall under the umbrella of employment issues and must be dealt with through league arbitration.

Henderson had argued the matter should remain in court because, based on their prior involvement with Wideman's suspension, league commissioner Gary Bettman and the league showed bias.

Henderson cross-checked

Henderson was hit by Wideman during a game against the Nashville Predators on Jan. 27, 2016.

In the second period, Wideman took a hit from Predators' Miikka Salomaki. Moments later, Wideman was skating toward the Flames' bench when he cross-checked Henderson, who had his back to the defenceman. 

Wideman was suspended for 10 games.

Play501168086_620x350_2682710534.jpg?crop=1.

Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman hits linesman
 LISTEN

00:00 01:22

Flames defenceman Dennis Wideman hits linesman1:22

In his statement of claim filed last April, Henderson said he was still not able to work because of his injuries, suffering "a limitation of activities and loss of enjoyment of life." 

The lawsuit claimed Henderson suffered head and neck injuries and a concussion when he was "violently struck."

The injuries cost Henderson $10 million in lost income and future earnings, according to the lawsuit, which also seeks $250,000 in general and special damages.

Speaking with reporters in Calgary on Friday before deWit delivered his decision, Bettman refused to comment on the lawsuit because it was before the courts.

Wideman was only suspended for 10 games for that? As much as Burrows was for his on the ice knee to the head on a player? That's ridiculous. 

Wideman should have gotten way more. As much as we hate on the refs, what Wideman did was way further outside the normal boundaries of the game.

I have been watching hockey for decades and I know the refereeing is suspect a lot of times, but that doesn't give anyone the right to (if you see the replay) cheapshot a referee from behind.So cowardly,just unbelievable.

What a stupid move!

1 hour ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:
\\

The injuries cost Henderson $10 million in lost income and future earnings, according to the lawsuit, which also seeks $250,000 in general and special damages.

Wow - do linesmen really make that much money ?

23 minutes ago, Dral said:

Wow - do linesmen really make that much money ?

14 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

That was my first question too!!!

I was curious too, so I looked it up:

https://gazettereview.com/2017/06/average-nhl-referee-salary-how-much-do-nhl-referees-make/

Average Salary for NHL Referee in 2018 – $185,000

At time of writing, the average salary for a full fledged NHL Referee is around $185,000 with a high level of variance between $115,000 and $255,000 per year, depending on experience and amount of work put in per year. On average, one could expect around $1,500 to $3,000 per game. This does not include however, lower ranks of regulatory personnel, often called linemen who can make between $70,000 to $100,000 per year.

1 minute ago, Undrafted said:

Wow, I wonder how the ref's lawyer came up with the 10.2M valuation... even at 200k per year, that's 51 years (of course ignoring other reasons for monetary award which are, typically, relatively low in Canada).

3 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Wow, I wonder how the ref's lawyer came up with the 10.2M valuation... even at 200k per year, that's 51 years (of course ignoring other reasons for monetary award which are, typically, relatively low in Canada).

Well, that's only the average.  Henderson might've earned higher because of his level of seniority.  I think I read in a different, older article that the upper-range was north of $250K at that time

8 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Well, that's only the average.  Henderson might've earned higher because of his level of seniority.  I think I read in a different, older article that the upper-range was north of $250K at that time

Except he's a linesmen... who make 100k a year...

i blamed wideman for the hit. but come on 10.2 million , Henderson reffed the rest of the game. i am sorry but i just can't believe he has all that wrong with him. maybe a few things but i think he' s overdoing his supposed injuries

17 minutes ago, Dral said:

Except he's a linesmen... who make 100k a year...

No, linesman make more than that.  From a 2014 article: http://scoutingtherefs.com/2014/08/4060/nhl-referee-salary/

Based on the data below, adjusted for inflation from the time reported, estimated NHL officials’ annual salaries as of 2013-14 as:

NHL Referees: $165k – $360k+

NHL Linesmen: $110k – $235k+

4 minutes ago, Dral said:

Ahhh

Still, even at the top rate, thats like 40 years of work

True, but knowing lawyers, they're probably including whatever he might've theoretically earned post-retirement that he allegedly won't be able to do because of his injuries.  I think in lawsuits, they also go with ridiculously high numbers like that because if there's an attempt to settle out of court, they'll knock down the number from there.  Kinda like haggling and starting high.

Access to justice is an important consideration in todays judicial climate. Both criminal and civil court systems are clogged with pending litigation. The use of administrative law (Organizations like the NHL which may impose their own sanctions), are increasingly being used by the courts. 

Archived