The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jussi Jokinen | #36 | LW/RW

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

IF we could get JJ to resign with the twins for another couple years at 3-4M each then we would have greater stability for the young guys to look up to. 

I'm not sure we need Jokinen for that role. We already have other stable forwards vets like Eriksson and Sutter who can fill that role IMO.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

IF we could get JJ to resign with the twins for another couple years at 3-4M each then we would have greater stability for the young guys to look up to. 

Sorry... are you suggesting Jokinen gets 3-4m?  Not a chance.  This guy couldn't maintain a job in the middle of a circle jerk of NHL teams.  He's 1m at the most, and that's only if he develops amazing chemistry.

26 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

jokinen was a player needed to make the money work, if the sedins come back, they should have bonus laden contracts. 

I agree, I'd love it if they signed really cheap deals (like $1M or so), but with contracts that enabled them to make up to something like $5M if they perform extremely well.

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure we need Jokinen for that role. We already have other stable forwards vets like Eriksson and Sutter who can fill that role IMO.

We don't really have much roster room either for the twins, let alone JJ.

• Upvote 1

I agree that I think it was just a money thing with the trade; a bit of a favour for Columbus in order to get Motte that doesn't really affect our team too much.

I'd be surprised if he's back next year though unless if he really makes some kind of statement in the last part of this season.

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Congrats to Jussi Jokinen for matching the NHL record for recording a point with four different NHL teams in a single season! He is just the third NHL player in history to accomplish this. 

Should waive him so he can make history! At worst nobody claims him and he’s helping a very depleted Comets roster.

• 4 weeks later...

Never thought I'd say this when he was picked up, but I wouldn't mind Jokinen back as depth next year at <$1 million. He wouldn't be bad as a 13th forward, like a Biega kinda guy who can sit and play when asked, either in case of injuries or to push the younger guys when they slack. I think it depends on if the Sedins return or not (with guys like Eriksson, Sutter and Gagner already around, I wouldn't want too many vets taking up spots on the team) but he's been serviceable so far and I like how his attitude comes across in the quotes he's given.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Never thought I'd say this when he was picked up, but I wouldn't mind Jokinen back as depth next year at <$1 million. He wouldn't be bad as a 13th forward, like a Biega kinda guy who can sit and play when asked, either in case of injuries or to push the younger guys when they slack. I think it depends on if the Sedins return or not (with guys like Eriksson, Sutter and Gagner already around, I wouldn't want too many vets taking up spots on the team) but he's been serviceable so far and I like how his attitude comes across in the quotes he's given.

i agree he has been a pleasant surprise

but if we are going to bring back someone of his vintage

i'd prefer vanek myself

we cannot have both on the roster next year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I agree. I really didn't think much of him, but he's got 5 points in 10 games so far. Wouldn't be bad as some veteran depth. He's no Vanek, but it seems like he can still hold his own in the NHL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I agree. I really didn't think much of him, but he's got 5 points in 10 games so far. Wouldn't be bad as some veteran depth. He's no Vanek, but it seems like he can still hold his own in the NHL.

Yea he has been pretty good, much better than I expected. He can play all forward postions, scoring line, checking line, PP, PK. Useful guy to have on a cheap contract 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i agree he has been a pleasant surprise

but if we are going to bring back someone of his vintage

i'd prefer vanek myself

we cannot have both on the roster next year

It's quite likely we won't have room for either of them. Next year's roster is already crowded even without the twins. If they come back too...

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's quite likely we won't have room for either of them. Next year's roster is already crowded even without the twins. If they come back too...

it wouldn't make any sense to bring them back. For the 1st time in a while we're going to have really good young depth in Utica to call up along with enough youth to fill spots out of camp. Gagner and the Sedins seem to be a good fit so they can just go with that line next year if the Sedins return. 

there's no place for Jokinen moving forward, he wasn't really supposed to be here anyway, he was a throw in. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it wouldn't make any sense to bring them back. For the 1st time in a while we're going to have really good young depth in Utica to call up along with enough youth to fill spots out of camp. Gagner and the Sedins seem to be a good fit so they can just go with that line next year if the Sedins return. 

there's no place for Jokinen moving forward, he wasn't really supposed to be here anyway, he was a throw in. 

This^^^^^^

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This^^^^^^

I could see bringing him back if the Sedins do retire tho. I'd like to see them sign Bozak for some higher end stability at center. But i'm sure he'll go to a playoff contender. I do think that we need to insulate ourselves from future injuries. Our depth was tested yet again this year, and people complained about how many vets we signed. It was barely enough to keep us competitive. Realistically Bozak would not sign here, so i'd be happy to try and bring back Vanek and Jussi to replace the Sedins.

...but the way the Sedins play with Gagne really have me pondering if they will indeed come back for another year to see if they can continue to make magic with him. For all the knocking we've done agains Gagne this year, and I am one of them...he has been really impressive with the twins. Showing lots of creativity in the offensive zone. May be worth one more year to see how it goes.

So conflicted lol. My main point being if 2 vets go, 2 vets need to come back in. In my own opinion. I would love to say let the kids play, but we really do not know how they will pan out till they hit the ice next year. I can't see management having any taste in exposing their youth like that and potentially ruining their development.

People cried when Bo was put on the 4th line for 2 seasons in a row, people cried when Jake was held back in minutes, and same with Goldy...proof is in the pudding, look at these guys now. They really bring something to the table other than just being able to "play". The coaching staff is turning these kids from one dimensional players to adding depth and tools to their repetoir and rounded out their PRO game. I am truly impressed how far they have come, especially Goldy. Props due, I have been hard on him. But he is really changing my mind. Other mentionables, Baertchi and Granlund. Both were broken. Both have been fixed. Knock Granny all you want, but he is up there with Sutter on defensive prowess...IMO.

46 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I could see bringing him back if the Sedins do retire tho. I'd like to see them sign Bozak for some higher end stability at center. But i'm sure he'll go to a playoff contender. I do think that we need to insulate ourselves from future injuries. Our depth was tested yet again this year, and people complained about how many vets we signed. It was barely enough to keep us competitive. Realistically Bozak would not sign here, so i'd be happy to try and bring back Vanek and Jussi to replace the Sedins.

...but the way the Sedins play with Gagne really have me pondering if they will indeed come back for another year to see if they can continue to make magic with him. For all the knocking we've done agains Gagne this year, and I am one of them...he has been really impressive with the twins. Showing lots of creativity in the offensive zone. May be worth one more year to see how it goes.

So conflicted lol. My main point being if 2 vets go, 2 vets need to come back in. In my own opinion. I would love to say let the kids play, but we really do not know how they will pan out till they hit the ice next year. I can't see management having any taste in exposing their youth like that and potentially ruining their development.

People cried when Bo was put on the 4th line for 2 seasons in a row, people cried when Jake was held back in minutes, and same with Goldy...proof is in the pudding, look at these guys now. They really bring something to the table other than just being able to "play". The coaching staff is turning these kids from one dimensional players to adding depth and tools to their repetoir and rounded out their PRO game. I am truly impressed how far they have come, especially Goldy. Props due, I have been hard on him. But he is really changing my mind. Other mentionables, Baertchi and Granlund. Both were broken. Both have been fixed. Knock Granny all you want, but he is up there with Sutter on defensive prowess...IMO.

Dunno.   Vanek I agree with but Jussi....I think you are seeing  some "bounce" in his game that will not sustain but I would be happy to be proven wrong.   If I were GM, not sure I would Jussi up for next year.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dunno.   Vanek I agree with but Jussi....I think you are seeing  some "bounce" in his game that will not sustain but I would be happy to be proven wrong.   If I were GM, not sure I would Jussi up for next year.

...how about now...? lol. I do think he is worth a 1 mil contract. Nothing more. But 3 points tonight and showing chemistry with Horvat. Nice to see. I wonder if he is still good at shoot outs? He used to be the best in the league back in the day with Dallas.

Edited by Attila Umbrus