The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(GDT) nucks in arizona

fourtwentyfour

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Loser of the game gets relegated to the AHL? :P

I’d love something like this. Even if it meant the Benning years saw my beloved Canucks relegated to the AHL.

In general, I’m a big fan of relegation/promotion. Makes late season games very meaningful for teams at both the top and bottom of the leagues. And no tanking. Tanking gets you relegated. Continue to tank and you just keeping dropping. Tank your way to the ECHL if you’re bad enough. 

Of course, the NHL owners would NEVER consider a relegation/promotion system with the AHL (and it really couldn’t work given the way the leagues are structured right now). 

But it would be fun. 

Maybe even tie the draft order to the relegation tournament. Winner gets first overall. Loser goes to the AHL (and doesn’t even get NHL draft picks).

Obviously it wouldn’t work but still fun to think about.

Thanks for starting up the GDT fourtwentyfour

I know it isn't nearly as much fun to watch without Boeser but their are still a few things to keep me interested - Leipsic, Motte, Bo, Stetch

I don't know if this team has it in them to lose the remainder of the games so there is a chance of a better draft pick -  pretty sure we pick in the top ten and I don't know enough about any of the draft picks - is there a wide gap in talent between 4-10?

I'm not on the tank bandwagon - so - Go Canucks Go

Our Finnish doesn't really matter for the first round but it does help in the later rounds. Having the 32 or 33 pick is better then later picks as the rounds go by. I have no faith in the lottery for the canucks. I do think they will tonight though they have to win some right...

3-2 canucks

32 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Loser of the game gets relegated to the AHL? :P

Great idea...rather than a lottery for the draft.

Top team in the A gets moved up....just like the English soccer leagues.

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d love something like this. Even if it meant the Benning years saw my beloved Canucks relegated to the AHL.

In general, I’m a big fan of relegation/promotion. Makes late season games very meaningful for teams at both the top and bottom of the leagues. And no tanking. Tanking gets you relegated. Continue to tank and you just keeping dropping. Tank your way to the ECHL if you’re bad enough. 

Of course, the NHL owners would NEVER consider a relegation/promotion system with the AHL (and it really couldn’t work given the way the leagues are structured right now). 

But it would be fun. 

Maybe even tie the draft order to the relegation tournament. Winner gets first overall. Loser goes to the AHL (and doesn’t even get NHL draft picks).

Obviously it wouldn’t work but still fun to think about.

A bit cynical but not certain the best players would care though.  They probably would have to be offered the option to move on if the team gets relegated and they could then sign with a more successful team.  Canucks couldn't operate on the same budget if they have the media coverage of the Comets.  That's the issue with those open leagues in Europe.  Teams can't operate on the same budget because it's not the same media coverage/sponsorship so there's the option to break contracts.  The better players hardly ever stay with their teams when they get relegated and find new employment to stay up. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

A bit cynical but not certain the best players would care though.  They probably would have to be offered the option to move on if the team gets relegated and they could then sign with a more successful team.  Canucks couldn't operate on the same budget if they have the media coverage of the Comets.  That's the issue with those open leagues in Europe.  Teams can't operate on the same budget because it's not the same media coverage/sponsorship so there's the option to break contracts.  The better players hardly ever stay with their teams when they get relegated and find new employment to stay up. 

Yeah, there are really too many differences between the ways the leagues are setup in Europe versus North America for relegation to ever work in the NHL (without basically tearing down the whole existing league structure—farms teams, contracts, player rights, the draft—all would need to either be drastically changed or eliminated outright).

It would basically be the end of the NHL as we know it. The owners would never approve it so it’ll never happen. 

Just fun to think about what these turtle derby tankathon games would be like if the bottom of the league teams were facing relegation.

Archived