The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - NYI : Tanev for 1st 2018 (15*) and Ho-Sang

I enjoyed watching the SN spin Tavares rumours into an almost for sure thing he will for to free agency this summer this morning.  It's hard to predict what lengths they will go to keep him, but no way will he sign for anything less than Kopitar to stay given how much he got last contract.

I think if they're going to trade Tanev they should call Edmonton first, that's one desperate franchise and chia pet is most definitely on the hot seat.  RNH or Poolparty or maybe add to pry that lotto pick off of them.  Yes I think Edmonton is that desperate. 

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I think if they're going to trade Tanev they should call Edmonton first, that's one desperate franchise and chia pet is most definitely on the hot seat.  RNH or Poolparty or maybe add to pry that lotto pick off of them.  Yes I think Edmonton is that desperate. 

You might be on to something tbh, Edmonton's management probably doesn't have as long a leash anymore and they can't afford to wallow in mediocrity forever. All those high picks aren't gonna do squat for em if they can't solidify their back end and make the playoffs.

10 hours ago, mll said:

It's actually why they did not make a trade at the deadline.  Snow was expecting to use the Calgary pick to improve his roster at the deadline but with Calgary possibly missing the playoffs he decided to hold on to the pick.  It's not lottery protected and a top-15 has more value than a late 1st.  

Once the draft order is settled though in April that could change. If they Calgary pick is in the 13-15 range that would be a  nice primary return for Tanev, we might have to send a depth prospect back their way as well if Ho-Sang is part of it... is Ho-Sang still waiver exempt next year? 

6 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Would pass on Ho-Sang and go after Keifer Bellows or Devon Toews instead. 

This.  Though both are fairly strong prospects, so I'm sure Snow would only part with them if he felt he needed to. I just don't have any interest in Ho Sang.  We have enough talented forwards in the pipeline already, so if we DID get a forward back it would only make sense that forward had noticeably better than average physicality.

As mentioned, if the Islanders are going to lose Tavares, there is no chance a trade like this happens. If Show believes Tavares will be staying, it makes sense he would want to surround him with quality players and Tanev is about as good as they come defensively.

Tanev's worth is highly speculative.  The market is reduced right off the bat with his lack of scoring, and only GMs who value the deep numbers he brings to the table will be interested.  Less interest means less ability to auction him off, and hence we likely won't get what we want for him. Is his worth a mid 1st and a prospect?  Yes, I believe so, considering even mid 1sts only have about a 30% chance of being a high quality player and he already is one. He's also on a pretty cap-friendly contract.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Once the draft order is settled though in April that could change. If they Calgary pick is in the 13-15 range that would be a  nice primary return for Tanev, we might have to send a depth prospect back their way as well if Ho-Sang is part of it... is Ho-Sang still waiver exempt next year? 

Ho-Sang is waiver exempt for another season.  Don't see Benning wanting to bring him in - re his comments on Seguin in the behind the B about not being babysitters.  Ho-Sang's coach in Bridgeport was recently talking about how he had some maturing to do - he likes his play but it's not smooth sailing.  

Would Benning really part with Tanev though.  The Canucks D is a mess and it seems like Tanev at least brings some stability.  Last summer he was saying that if he trades Tanev he would be looking for a D like him.  I also don't think he wants another losing season and it's more likely to happen without Tanev.  

31 minutes ago, mll said:

Ho-Sang is waiver exempt for another season.  Don't see Benning wanting to bring him in - re his comments on Seguin in the behind the B about not being babysitters.  Ho-Sang's coach in Bridgeport was recently talking about how he had some maturing to do - he likes his play but it's not smooth sailing.  

Would Benning really part with Tanev though.  The Canucks D is a mess and it seems like Tanev at least brings some stability.  Last summer he was saying that if he trades Tanev he would be looking for a D like him.  I also don't think he wants another losing season and it's more likely to happen without Tanev.  

I think he would move Tanev and go after a free agent if the return was good enough.... is a 13-15 spot "good enough", could be. So much depends on our lotto position its really hard to predict much right now. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You might be on to something tbh, Edmonton's management probably doesn't have as long a leash anymore and they can't afford to wallow in mediocrity forever. All those high picks aren't gonna do squat for em if they can't solidify their back end and make the playoffs.

Tanev  plus  Granlund  to Edmonton for their first. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think he would move Tanev and go after a free agent if the return was good enough.... is a 13-15 spot "good enough", could be. So much depends on our lotto position its really hard to predict much right now. 

Insiders believe he would be willing to move Tanev for an overpayment.  Don't know his definition of an overpayment though and how does he convince a top free agent to sign in Vancouver.  

Most think about Benning's scouting background and want more picks but it probably also goes the other way for him.  He knows how many draftees he was high on who never became players.  Every draft is a gamble and here he has a proven player that can help his team now as they try and find a way to improve the D-corps. 

23 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Tanev  plus  Granlund  to Edmonton for their first. 

Chiarelli is apparently willing to move draft picks to get players.  The results of the lottery will obviously play a role on his willingness to part with his 1st though.

He has already defined his targets - he wants 2x top-6 wingers and a PMD as well as a goalie that can challenge Talbot.  Green says he doesn't see Granlund as a top-6 scoring winger and Tanev is not a D that can quarterback a PP.  It's doubtful that Edmonton would target them.

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Edmonton is currently playing Ethan Bear (20 yrs old, 7 games experience) on their top pairing and he’s getting power play time. Their right side on D is that anemic. They’ve also been playing AHL tweener Aberg on the top line, and with him likely out with injury next game they will instead have Ty Rattie playing there. They are also about to enter one of the worst cap situations in the whole league. They need to:

1) upgrade their D

2) acquire cheap wingers

3) acquire cap space

heres how I think the Canucks could help them while making out like bandits in return. 

to Edm:

Tanev - 2 million retained

Baertschi

To Van:

RNH

Russel

Ethan Bear

2018 2nd

2018 4th

2019 1st round pick top 5 protected*

*if the oilers pick top 5 in 2019, the canucks get their 2019 2nd and their 2020 first

why for Edmonton:

They have 4 defensemen making over 4 million per year, soon to be 5 D when nurse re-signs. They need cheap but effective Defensive depth and Tanev is one of the best options available for that. They also need scoring wingers. In the past two seasons Baerschi has been on pace for over 20 goals/40 points over a full 82 game season playing on one of the least offensive teams in the league. He can easily make up bout 80% or more of any scoring lost from trading RNH, and for 2-3 million less (depending on how much he re-signs for). They also get rid of russels 4 million cap for the next three years, as klefbom, nurse, and sekera are all ahead of him on their LHD depth. They will gain 4.5-5.5 million in cap out of this deal, depending on what they sign baertschi too. 

Why for VAN:

RNH basically replaces Henrik Sedins offence but is much more defensively reliable and is 1 million dollars less per season, for 3 more seasons after this one. This allows pettersson to be brought in on the wing of need be until he is ready to play centre.

Ethan bear is an NHL ready right handed D. May never be more than #6, may turn into a top 4 guy - basically building prospect depth. 

Russel has a really bad contract that the Canucks will have to eat for 3 years, but it’s only 500 k more than they pay Del Zotto and it will expire before any of their rookies become RFAs (besides Boeser). If they flip Del Zotto somewhere else for a pick, this contract really doesn’t hurt the Canucks that much. 

Finally, the Canucks gain plenty of picks in this deal which, as GMJB says, “are like gold”. 

Canucks gain centre depth, a prospect in the position they are most sorely lacking, and picks

Edmonton heavily upgrades it D, gains cap space, and doesn’t really lose much on offence. 

I wouldn't mind getting the lower of their first round picks and Robin Salo for Tanev.

If there isn't a player we are targeting with that first, I wonder if the Rangers would consider trading up if they have a target. Perhaps their two low 1sts for that 15th or so pick. We could still possibly pick K'Andre Miller and Dominik Bokk in that range.

20 hours ago, mll said:

Chiarelli is apparently willing to move draft picks to get players.  The results of the lottery will obviously play a role on his willingness to part with his 1st though.

He has already defined his targets - he wants 2x top-6 wingers and a PMD as well as a goalie that can challenge Talbot.  Green says he doesn't see Granlund as a top-6 scoring winger and Tanev is not a D that can quarterback a PP.  It's doubtful that Edmonton would target them.

Chiarelli better choose wisely because his only hope is free agency no one is giving a PMD and two top forwards for this pick or a combination of. So Tanev and Granlund it is. 

On 2018-03-15 at 7:30 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

no burns, I actually like this one a lot. Two top 15 D next draft, yes thank you. 

I don't know how much value Ho-Sang really has, he's not an upgrade on Jake e.g., but he could be an interesting future addition to the top 9 or maybe an energy guy. It would be interesting to see what Green can do with him. 

Wouldn't even consider comparing Jake and Josh. Nicolay and Josh however are quite comparable. Would you rather have Goldy or Ho-sang?

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Chiarelli better choose wisely because his only hope is free agency no one is giving a PMD and two top forwards for this pick or a combination of. So Tanev and Granlund it is. 

He's willing to use multiple picks to get the players he wants but he's not going to use them on players he doesn't need.  

3 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Wouldn't even consider comparing Jake and Josh. Nicolay and Josh however are quite comparable. Would you rather have Goldy or Ho-sang?

I wasn't making a skill set comparison, just more that Jake and Josh are both guys projected for the top 6 and both haven't progressed as many would like.

Goldy or Ho-Sang.... roughly similar AHL production... I might stick with Goldy at this point, since Green has put a lot of work into trying to develop him into an NHL player. It sounds like Ho-Sang still has some growing up to do so Green would be starting from scratch. Similar kind of risk, similar kind of upside. Not sure I can make a really definitive answer. 

Archived