The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 17, 2018 | 7:00 PM PT | CBC

-Vintage Canuck-

cut.jpg

CANUCKS VS SHARKS PREVIEW: (TV: HNIC; Radio: Sportsnet 650)

The Vancouver Canucks face off against the San Jose Sharks for their fifth and final meeting this season (1-2-1).

Following tonight's game, the Canucks embark on a 4-game road trip that sees stops in Vegas (Mar. 20), Chicago (Mar. 22), St. Louis (Mar. 23) and Dallas (Mar. 25).

To date, Vancouver is 13-21-5 against teams from the Western Conference (6-15-1 versus teams from the Pacific Division).

LAST MEETING - FEB. 15/18: VAN 1 at SJS 4

Daniel Sedin scored at 6:43 of the third to get the Canucks on the board; he also had a game-high 6 shots and game/season-high 5 hits...Thomas Vanek and Henrik Sedin each netted an assist on the play...Anders Nilsson made 26 saves...Bo Horvat had a season-high 6 shots...The Canucks had a season-high 44 shots on goal.

VS SHARKS TIDBITS:

• Henrik Sedin has accumulated 47 career points (13-34-47) in 70 games.
  • Daniel Sedin has recorded 45 career points (15-30-45) in 69 games.
  • Daniel Sedin (2-3-5) and Henrik Sedin (0-5-5) lead the Canucks in scoring in the season series vs SJ.
  • Nikolay Goldobin was originally drafted by the San Jose Sharks with the 27th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He played 11 games with San Jose, collecting two points (1-1-2) and has faced his former team 3 times.
  • Sam Gagner made his NHL debut and notched his first career point/assist on Oct. 4/07 vs SJS.
  • Jacob Markstrom is 2-3-1 along with a .886 save percentage and 3.67 GAA in 6 career games versus San Jose.
  • Anders Nilsson is 2-1-0 along with a .888 save percentage and 3.57 GAA in 3 career games versus the Sharks.

LAST GAME: MAR. 14/18: VAN 0 at ANA 3

Jacob Markstrom made 34 saves...Michael Del Zotto had a team-high 5 hits...Alex Biega had a team-high 5 shots...Bo Horvat went 13/21 in faceoffs (62%).

THE GOING RATE:

• Derrick Pouliot has 6 assists/points over the past 16 games.
  • Brendan Leipsic has 6 points (2-4-6) over the past 8 games as a Canuck.
  • Jake Virtanen has 2 points (1-1-2) over the past 6 games.
  • Brandon Sutter has 4 points (2-2-4) over the past 12 games.
  • Daniel Sedin has 15 points (8-7-15) over the past 16 games.
  • Alex Edler has 5 assists/points over the past 13 games.
  • Henrik Sedin has 7 assists/points over the past 14 games.
  • Jussi Jokinen has a goal in 2 of his last 4 games.
  • Darren Archibald has 5 points (3-2-5) over the past 16 games.
  • Bo Horvat has collected 13 points (6-7-13) over the past 18 games (6 points over the past 8 games).
  • Nikolay Goldobin has 3 points (2-1-3) over the past 11 games.
  • Sam Gagner has an assist in 2 of his last 5 games.

PLAYER QUICK HITS:

• Alex Edler collected his 326th career point on Mar. 2/18 vs NSH to become the leading scorer among defencemen in franchise history, surpassing Mattias Ohlund. He ranks 23rd among active NHL defencemen in career scoring.
  • Alex Edler ranks 3rd in the NHL and has set a new single-season career-high with 168 blocked shots. His previous career-high of 145 blocked shots occurred during the 2011.12 season.
  • Daniel Sedin notched his 20th goal of the season on Feb. 28. He has now surpassed Markus Naslund for the most 20+ goal seasons in franchise history (Daniel has done it 11 times). Daniel ranks tied for 5th among active players for most 20+ goal seasons, behind Hossa (15), Marleau (15), Ovechkin (13) and Nash (12).
  • Daniel Sedin collected his 136th career PPG on Feb. 25/18 at ARI, moving him into sole of possession of second for most career PPG among Swedish-born players in NHL history. Mats Sundin leads the way with 160 career PPG. Now with 137 PPG, Daniel ranks t-69th all-time for most PPG.
  • Daniel Sedin collected his 85th career GWG on Feb. 25/18 at ARI to move into a tie for 26th all-time in NHL history (with Glenn Anderson and Marian Hossa). He is one GWG away from tying Joe Sakic and Pierre Turgeon for 24th most in history. 21.8% of Daniel Sedin's career goals have been GWG. That is the 2nd highest percentage in NHL history among players with 250 career goals.
  • Henrik Sedin appeared in his 1,300th NHL game Feb. 3/18 vs TBL. He became just the 62nd player all-time and third Swedish born player in League history to achieve the feat. He now sits 56th all-time with 1,319 games played.
  • Michael Del Zotto ranks t-4th in the NHL and has set a new single-season career-high with 210 hits. His previous career-high of 173 hits occurred during the 2016.17 season.

San Jose SharksVancouver Canucks

Projected Starting Lineups

jakjaz1365501947408.jpg

Brendan Leipsic - Bo H0rvat - Jake Virtanen

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Sam Gagner

Darren Archibald - Brand0n Sutter - Tyler M0tte

Reid B0ucher - Nic D0wd - Nik0lay G0ld0bin

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev

Michael Del Zott0 - Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouli0t - Alex Biega

Jac0b Markstr0m

Anders Nilss0n

Team that can score

Evander Kane - Joe Pavelski - Jannik Hansen

Tomas Hertl - Logan Couture - Mikkel Boedker

Timo Meier - Chris Tierney - Kevin Labanc

Barclay Goodrow - Eric Fehr - Melker Karlsson

Joakim Ryan - Brent Burns

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Justin Braun

Brenden Dillon - Dylan DeMelo

Martin Jones

Aaron Dell

It's St. Patrick's Day. Drink up.

Image result for rick drink gif

Im not expecting much from tonight, The effort hasn't been there and its been tough to watch. At least if we lose lets lose competing. I see a lot of Sharks standing on our goalie, and not much Pop from our forwards at this time we aren't even a one line team. 5-1 Sharks, One goal on Power play banked in off someones skate.:wacko:

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Im not expecting much from tonight, The effort hasn't been there and its been tough to watch. At least if we lose lets lose competing. I see a lot of Sharks standing on our goalie, and not much Pop from our forwards at this time we aren't even a one line team. 5-1 Sharks, One goal on Power play banked in off someones skate.:wacko:

yeah i feel you, might tune in a little bit but might go out later. 

Just now, TNucks1 said:

yeah i feel you, might tune in a little bit but might go out later. 

I love this team and watch even though sometimes its hard. I keep hoping someone will turn it around. I know we wont be the Oilers and it is expected in a rebuild but we need reasons to watch and see the young guys play. We don't even get that right now. Depressing. Cheers, to all

Did Kane sign with SJ or is he still a FA this summer? I hoping we can show the sharks that we can keep up with the PO teams despite the depleted roster. A win is likely given our skid but I won't be sad to take a step closer to a guaranteed 4th overall.  GCG

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

Did Kane sign with SJ or is he still a FA this summer? I hoping we can show the sharks that we can keep up with the PO teams despite the depleted roster. A win is likely given our skid but I won't be sad to take a step closer to a guaranteed 4th overall.  GCG

pretty sure he said he's gunna walk at the end of the summer?, thought i read an article saying he was but if someone can correct me.

6 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

pretty sure he said he's gunna walk at the end of the summer?, thought i read an article saying he was but if someone can correct me.

He sounds really happy there. Says he's never been on a team where he felt that comfortable.  Right now both sides are seeing if it's a fit but so far so good.

Archived