The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing]Dylan Sikura has inked a 2-year contract with the Blackhawks

aGENT

The college FA race seems overrated to me.

Are guys that spend a few years a the collegiate level really vastly better and ready for the NHL than a prospect who has spent a few years at the AHL level? Yet the AHL prospect always seems to overlooked compared to a college FA.

7 hours ago, 250Integra said:

It was posted in the minor signing's thread.

Was gonna say... northeastern's coach was on 1040 yesterday talking about Gaudette and he mentioned that Sikura had signed with the hawks. 

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sikky with the 2 assist debut. Would’ve been nice if he’d held out and signed here as a free agent. Apparently Gaudette at least suggested the option, although mostly jokingly as he knew Sikura has similar values to himself and would ultimately stay loyal to the team that drafted him.

I am not a fan of any player holding out for free agency. I am pretty high on loyalty so I'd rather not get a guy if it means he did his draft team dirty by not signing with them. Of course with the way the system is set up it generally favours the team in most if not all cases. Most players are RFA until what, 26/27? By that time players have some semblance of a family started so they end up staying where they are drafted. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I am not a fan of any player holding out for free agency. I am pretty high on loyalty so I'd rather not get a guy if it means he did his draft team dirty by not signing with them. Of course with the way the system is set up it generally favours the team in most if not all cases. Most players are RFA until what, 26/27? By that time players have some semblance of a family started so they end up staying where they are drafted. 

I’m generally of a similar mind re: loyalty. But it can be a two way street.

I don’t hold it against players if they seek the FA option after being jerked around by their draft team. But I can’t stand guys who feel like they’re too good for one franchise and decide they’ll manipulate the system. That rarely happens though.

In nearly every case when players hold out, when you look back over their post-draft history, there are usually a few instances where they were ready and willing to sign a contract and their draft team just left them hanging. Or promises were made that were never kept. Or just a legitimate sense they weren’t given a fair shake. 

By the time those guys get to their final year of draft rights, I can’t blame them for deciding to wait a few months and pick a team that really wants them. Versus signing with a team that’s been lukewarm on them for years and is now just looking to avoid losing an asset for nothing.

Archived