The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2 Vets For Twin's Place ?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think we fill those two spots from within.  If we are going to sign two UFAs, why not the Twins?

Thread's based on hypothetical where they decide to call it a day. No fixation about this..mostly something to blab about, as the world turns...

ASSUMING NO SEDINS

We currently have 14 forwards plus 3 more who could make the team out of camp. And possibly one more depending where we draft in 2018 1st round.

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Granlund

Eriksson

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher

Leipsic

Goldobin

Motte

Gaudette?

Pettersson?

Dahlen?

*2018 1st

Now we can only take 12 in our starting day lineup. Now if we add 2 more FA that would mean we would have a total of 19 *(not including 2018 1st) forwards.

So basically if you can pick 7 guys to send to Utica for starting day, then yeah we could sign two free agents. Or possibly keep a 13th forward.

I think we will miss the Sedin twins more than we realize.

YOU TALK ABOUT FACES OF A FRANCHISE,such good players and truly fine people.

Hoping they stay with the Canucks for a couple more years to mentor the new core of stars for the team and when they do finally retire stay with the club in some capacity.

Just so many skills and tricks of the trade to hand down.

18 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thread's based on hypothetical where they decide to call it a day. No fixation about this..mostly something to blab about, as the world turns...

Then I see us signing Tavares and E. Kane, while trading for E. Karlsson.  Hypothetically:)

9 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

I think we will miss the Sedin twins more than we realize.

YOU TALK ABOUT FACES OF A FRANCHISE,such good players and truly fine people.

Hoping they stay with the Canucks for a couple more years to mentor the new core of stars for the team and when they do finally retire stay with the club in some capacity.

Just so many skills and tricks of the trade to hand down.

There's all kinda' impermanence/nostalgia milling about. The duality exists in one's noggin, but the cap(& limit of 23 bods), establish the parameters.

People can debate the new blood/cagey vet, til they're blue in the face, & the cap world just magnifies the importance.

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

No more vets unless they are in the 24-27 age range and they provide grit, and physical play. Also in a couple years they may need to be 3rd or 4th line players. 

OTOH, KH, could be a 2 yr bridge to all kinds of ELC fwds arriving(they're still a little young?)

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

ASSUMING NO SEDINS

We currently have 14 forwards plus 3 more who could make the team out of camp. And possibly one more depending where we draft in 2018 1st round.

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Granlund

Eriksson

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher

Leipsic

Goldobin

Motte

Gaudette?

Pettersson?

Dahlen?

*2018 1st

Now we can only take 12 in our starting day lineup. Now if we add 2 more FA that would mean we would have a total of 19 *(not including 2018 1st) forwards.

So basically if you can pick 7 guys to send to Utica for starting day, then yeah we could sign two free agents. Or possibly keep a 13th forward.

I hear you man,but that potential lineup will not scare most teams in today's NHL. If the twins choose not to return, then one veteran short term contract is enough. As much as I would like to allow the kids to develop in the minors we now have sufficient depth force feed a newbie. 

20 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner trade

Granlund

Eriksson pay drops to 3.25 Million

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher Utica first call up

Leipsic

Goldobin 13th forward

Motte Utica emergency call up

Gaudette --yes, sheltered 4th line minutes

***Biega spots in as 4th line checker/hitter when needed 

*2018 1st--One of--  Svech, Zadina,Wahlstrom,Tkachuk-- all NHL ready Calder candidates. (No Dahlen 4U)

Sign one UFA forward to bolster the line up (add 2 if we get lucky and get Dahlen) eg Kane,Neal, JVR, Grabner, Maroon, Perron, P.Stastny

I'd say add 2 forwards who best fit Green's full court press game plan.

Twins each seem to be a 50 pt / -20 proposition, nowadays.

So which stat is more important? If they were 50 pt players, who achieved such numbers with grit & speed, it's SUCH an easy decision. Then you can 'bottom 6' them at times thru the season.

They're only helpful in them peripheral/depth roles, when the whole team is healthy.

It's like: "Hey Honey..let's go shopping for a new house that goes with our snazzy furniture!"

Archived