The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2 Vets For Twin's Place ?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we fill those two spots from within.  If we are going to sign two UFAs, why not the Twins?

2 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

ASSUMING NO SEDINS

We currently have 14 forwards plus 3 more who could make the team out of camp. And possibly one more depending where we draft in 2018 1st round.

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Granlund

Eriksson

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher

Leipsic

Goldobin

Motte

Gaudette?

Pettersson?

Dahlen?

*2018 1st

Now we can only take 12 in our starting day lineup. Now if we add 2 more FA that would mean we would have a total of 19 *(not including 2018 1st) forwards.

So basically if you can pick 7 guys to send to Utica for starting day, then yeah we could sign two free agents. Or possibly keep a 13th forward.

Absolutely right. Unless Crosby decides he would like to come to Vancouver, there is no reason to bring in veteran forwards. With or without the Sedins, the Canucks will have enough "veteran leadership". It is time for Horvat and other younger guys to take over the team identity.

The "problem" the Canucks have is a lot of competition for spots. I have every expectation that Pettersson will play on the big team next year. Otherwise, he might prefer to stay in Europe and I cannot blame him. While you never know for sure until a guy actually makes it in the NHL, if league translation factors mean anything, Pettersson should be an effective NHL player next year. I also think Gaudette can and probably should play in the NHL. And, having just picked up Leipsic, he needs to get a good look at the NHL level next year. And Archie has earned a spot, and is one of the few guys who can provide toughness. And his defensive play since being called up has been excellent in very tough minutes -- shutdown and PK. Add that to the other guys, most of whom are NOT waiver exempt, and the Canucks will have a problem if they add veteran forwards.

And so far the Canucks efforts to bring in veteran forwards have either been obvious negatives or have just slowed down the rebuild, even the players themselves are okay. The only possible addition I would consider would be to add another guy with size and toughness who can play. Maybe MacEwen is ready for a look (promotion from within). 

3 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

I think we will miss the Sedin twins more than we realize.

YOU TALK ABOUT FACES OF A FRANCHISE,such good players and truly fine people.

Hoping they stay with the Canucks for a couple more years to mentor the new core of stars for the team and when they do finally retire stay with the club in some capacity.

Just so many skills and tricks of the trade to hand down.

Time wait for no one.  Cant move forward if you keep hanging onto the past.  We have to make room for our youth.  No new FAs unless they replace current vets.

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

ASSUMING NO SEDINS

We currently have 14 forwards plus 3 more who could make the team out of camp. And possibly one more depending where we draft in 2018 1st round.

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Granlund

Eriksson

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher

Leipsic

Goldobin

Motte

Gaudette?

Pettersson?

Dahlen?

*2018 1st

Now we can only take 12 in our starting day lineup. Now if we add 2 more FA that would mean we would have a total of 19 *(not including 2018 1st) forwards.

So basically if you can pick 7 guys to send to Utica for starting day, then yeah we could sign two free agents. Or possibly keep a 13th forward.

Except that half those guys should be moved somewhere else before next season if there is anything right with the universe.  That is an objectively MUCH worse lineup than managed to get us to the bottom of the league this season.  

If they can bring  the same chemistry and quickness that they have shown in the past few games, sign them to a one year at $3.5 mil. 

That way  we don’t handcuff the team in terms of cap space, in case the young guys take a big step next year and we look to add a piece as we make a run to get the playoffs. Give the young guys a taste of playoff hockey.

Honestly, I think Bo, Sutter and Guddy are ready to take over the mantle of new leaders. We'll still have Edler, who I guess isn't a stereotypical leader but at least takes the pressure off guys like Pouliot and such on the backend. Tanev is a good dude to have around. When he is around. Would have been nice if we still had Miller. I like him. Sutter, Guddy, Edler, and Tanev are a solid vet core, I know people are iffy about MDZ but I like him too. Does a bit of everything. Not the most ideal vet core. The Sedins for one more year at least would be fantastic.

Not sure about this whole business with toughness. I know a large group of people think we get bullied and what not but I really don't see it. But if you want added toughness we may as well just bring in Gadjovich and draft Tkachuk. Keep Archie around. That would give us Archie, Gadjovich,  Virtanen, Guddy, and Tkachuk. MDZ throws a large amount of hits too. Leads our team if I recall correctly. Biega has some bite to him. F it, lets trade Boeser for Matthew Tkachuk. TOUGHNESS, GRRR.

19 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

If they can bring  the same chemistry and quickness that they have shown in the past few games, sign them to a one year at $3.5 mil. 

That way  we don’t handcuff the team in terms of cap space, in case the young guys take a big step next year and we look to add a piece as we make a run to get the playoffs. Give the young guys a taste of playoff hockey.

Quickness? I can acknowledge they can still cycle effectively against weak defences but they are slow and a liability in all other areas of the game.  Their 5v5, -29 despite their preferred o-zone deployment is brutal.  

One reason I don't want them back is the inability to deploy them differently or to bench/demote them if the kids out play them.  In bringing them back, you are committing to holding back 2 youth, no matter how they play.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think signing the Sedins to 1 year deals worth $3M each is doable. If they have another decent year like this year that's a 100 points for 2 players making $6M a season together, that's more points then players making $7M and up, to me that's a good money ball type of signing.

So I'll repeat the question..next yr:

Twins combined : 100 pts

but: combined -40

Which stat matters more?!

What if their slots are taken by grinders who get 25~30 pts each, but are only about -5, or -10 on the yr?

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What if their slots are taken by grinders who get 25~30 pts each, but are only about -5, or -10 on the yr?

Yup. The twins are not able to play the style Green says he wants to play. They are not 200' players .  They are not hard to play against. They play a style that if our kids played that way, would see them benched or back in Utica.

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Yup. The twins are not able to play the style Green says he wants to play. They are not 200' players .  They are not hard to play against. They play a style that if our kids played that way, would see them benched or back in Utica.

Exactly. Imagine if Goldy was stripped(to that degree) at the blueline, by McD yesterday?..Sutter would have to start talking about playing with ample chest hair..or something similarly ludicrous!

They're great people..but as Mario said, when his days wound down.."It's a young man's game now."

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well Edler was a -39 all by himself one year so I'll go with points since Edler is still loved by many so obviously that +/- stat doesn't matter here! 

I'd still go with the Sedins for that value, and that +/- is something to address on the team and not individual forwards, the D and goalies are crap on this team no forward is going to make them better. Expect more minus- players on this team for a while with this D and Goalies, that's the problem that really needs to be addressed on this team.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well Edler was a -39 all by himself one year so I'll go with points since Edler is still loved by many so obviously that +/- stat doesn't matter here! 

I'd still go with the Sedins for that value, and that +/- is something to address on the team and not individual forwards, the D and goalies are crap on this team no forward is going to make them better. Expect more minus- players on this team for a while with this D and Goalies, that's the problem that really needs to be addressed on this team.

Hear what you're saying, but I think TG can coach a young, faster, grinding team to surprising results. Don't feel the same confidence if we approach next yr with the same softer, perimeter-playing roster.

Archived