The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] 2 Vets For Twin's Place ?

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

The only signing Benning should be making this off season is the Sedins...1yr @ 4mill.

I think for 8 million we can find bigger, faster, younger players who can COMPLIMENT the young core and provide a little shelter for the smaller inexperienced forwards.

Two ,Old , slow , non-defensive, non-aggresive players, who need to play together , are not going to assist the young guys one bit. We need D help and someone to replace Dorsett. They need to go to a contender where they would be a better fit. 

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hear what you're saying, but I think TG can coach a young, faster, grinding team to surprising results. Don't feel the same confidence if we approach next yr with the same softer, perimeter-playing roster.

Funny thing is how often are the Sedins injured? How many of these young supposedly tougher players continue to get injured? Sedins really aren't the problem, the problem actually is Benning as much as I like Benning, the Eriksson signing screwed up big time and the Gagner signing not a good one either. I'd really like to see those 2 gone easier said then done but I would move them and take the hit even buy one out if you have too just get them off the team, also Jokinen can be gone and bring back Vanek and have the Sedins and Vanek play together. That would leave 3 other lines for players on a rebuilding team more then enough.

5 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

ASSUMING NO SEDINS

We currently have 14 forwards plus 3 more who could make the team out of camp. And possibly one more depending where we draft in 2018 1st round.

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Granlund

Eriksson

Virtanen

Archibald

Baertschi

Gaunce 

Boucher

Leipsic

Goldobin

Motte

Gaudette?

Pettersson?

Dahlen?

*2018 1st

Now we can only take 12 in our starting day lineup. Now if we add 2 more FA that would mean we would have a total of 19 *(not including 2018 1st) forwards.

So basically if you can pick 7 guys to send to Utica for starting day, then yeah we could sign two free agents. Or possibly keep a 13th forward.

Wow that depth chart drops off drastically after Boeser.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Funny thing is how often are the Sedins injured? How many of these young supposedly tougher players continue to get injured? Sedins really aren't the problem, the problem actually is Benning as much as I like Benning, the Eriksson signing screwed up big time and the Gagner signing not a good one either. I'd really like to see those 2 gone easier said then done but I would move them and take the hit even buy one out if you have too just get them off the team, also Jokinen can be gone and bring back Vanek and have the Sedins and Vanek play together. That would leave 3 other lines for players on a rebuilding team more then enough.

Gagner is easily dealt with. Contract can be moved. I don't mind the signing in the beginning as we all know the Canucks history with injuries. Eriksson's contract is one where i understand. A bit long but i get it. However if the Sedins retire and Sam is traded, Eriksson's contract won't be that bad. Tolerable i guess. 

2 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Gagner is easily dealt with. Contract can be moved. I don't mind the signing in the beginning as we all know the Canucks history with injuries. Eriksson's contract is one where i understand. A bit long but i get it. However if the Sedins retire and Sam is traded, Eriksson's contract won't be that bad. Tolerable i guess. 

Lol still bad in my eyes for only being good defensively not good enough for what he's being paid.

26 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think for 8 million we can find bigger, faster, younger players who can COMPLIMENT the young core and provide a little shelter for the smaller inexperienced forwards.

Two ,Old , slow , non-defensive, non-aggresive players, who need to play together , are not going to assist the young guys one bit. We need D help and someone to replace Dorsett. They need to go to a contender where they would be a better fit. 

I also think that we got veterans within our own org...

25 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hear what you're saying, but I think TG can coach a young, faster, grinding team to surprising results. Don't feel the same confidence if we approach next yr with the same softer, perimeter-playing roster.

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think you missed the point about the "type of play" and not whether the Sedins are tough or not. I think you are dreaming if you think Gags and Lui are moving when they are both under contract.

The softer, perimeter-playing seems to be the exact opposite of how TG seems to want to play. The problem is that the Sedins would take up spots slotted for up and coming offensive minded players and they are unable to drop down to be checkers. That poses a problem for the Coach. Sure they are a "nice to have" on the PP but when we run in to fast or tight checking teams, the Twins are rendered useless. This is opposite to the old saying " When the going gets tough, the tough get going".

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If Edler waived his NTC it would be possible but won't happen unfortunately.

I don't see the correlation. Edler Carlsson would be a sick pairing.

We would have to ship MDZ out. 

Edler Carlsson

Hutton Tanev

Pouliot Gud

Biega Stetcher 

Callup* Juolevi

Looks like a solid D corps to me.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well Edler was a -39 all by himself one year so I'll go with points since Edler is still loved by many so obviously that +/- stat doesn't matter here! 

I'd still go with the Sedins for that value, and that +/- is something to address on the team and not individual forwards, the D and goalies are crap on this team no forward is going to make them better. Expect more minus- players on this team for a while with this D and Goalies, that's the problem that really needs to be addressed on this team.

Edler kills penalties and gets all the hard match ups, not the sheltered treatment at all.

Archived